Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I got my SO into this show, and we've been binging to try and get her caught up. I had forgotten about the ARPAnet plotline in the second season, particularly the absolutely absurd way the scientist tries to explain packet switching.

"So you write a postcard and it goes to heaven where god translates it and sends it to a mailman in virtual space on the highway to the future."

Baronash fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Rejoice, fans of Henry!

Gonz posted:

It's been discussed before, but if this show doesn't end with Elizabeth's emotionally shattered and utterly crestfallen face watching a TV screen on the morning of December 25th, 1991 while a sad song plays, then the writers have failed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwtdhWltSIg

Yeah, Elizabeth's reaction to everything she fought for and believed in collapsing and failing in the end has to be a component of the end of the series.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!
Her beliefs already seem to be wavering.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Henry's grown like a freaking weed.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Wait that's Henry?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Yep, and he's had a growth spurt.

Am I the only Americans and NHL fan who thinks Philip's son looks like Nail Yakupov?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
We blackmailed the poo poo out of him and everyone turned out happy :smith:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Of course Pastor Tim has a copy of Marx

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

"I appreciate you trying to be Super :ussr: Spy, Jr. and doing something in line with what we've brought you into the fold to eventually ask you to do, but don't you DARE do anything like that again."

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I just remembered when Elizabeth was having passionate sex with that hotel guy. That went nowhere after the mission I guess, kind of weird, it seemed like a plot thread

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

Fast Luck posted:

I just remembered when Elizabeth was having passionate sex with that hotel guy. That went nowhere after the mission I guess, kind of weird, it seemed like a plot thread

It showed that some of the walls she build up were breaking down and that she now felt like she was cheating.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

drat Keri Russell looked even hotter in that wig and glasses as Brenda.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I would never have expected the Americans to go to my crapstick hometown for plot. I do find it funny that they thought there would be a Trader Joe's-like health food store in Topeka in the middle of the 1980s though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Stan going to bat for his buddy Oleg :3:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Is this going to be the season where Phil finally loses the heart and stomach for "the cause"? He just looked super miserable having to go through all the motions for making the Topeka connection, and he seems to be finding more empathy in his conversations with the defector.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

hatelull posted:

Is this going to be the season where Phil finally loses the heart and stomach for "the cause"? He just looked super miserable having to go through all the motions for making the Topeka connection, and he seems to be finding more empathy in his conversations with the defector.

The defector is illustrating a current USSR that is still experiencing post-war deprivation and dysfunction that the Directorate S operatives have been divorced from by merit of living in the US so long.

It may not be empathy with the defector per se so much as a realization that all of Phil's work is for nothing and there's another Soviet generation wallowing in the things that they keep saying have ended, will end, etc.

Assume that Phil is doing the math as such: If even 30% of the hyperbole being poo poo out by that dude is correct then what the hell is actually being accomplished and if things are falling apart in key aspects now, at this point, then is this a descent that can even be pulled up from

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Vanderdeath posted:

I would never have expected the Americans to go to my crapstick hometown for plot. I do find it funny that they thought there would be a Trader Joe's-like health food store in Topeka in the middle of the 1980s though.

I noticed the shop window said vegan and I'm not sure if that was much of thing in the mid-80s.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

phosdex posted:

I noticed the shop window said vegan and I'm not sure if that was much of thing in the mid-80s.

Veganism really started to take off during the counterculture movement in the 60s. It wouldn't be out of the ordinary for a health food store to be touting it by 1984/5.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vanderdeath posted:

I can't speak to Topeka directly but there were a lot of hippies leftover from the 60s who had finally got around to getting jobs and starting businesses and such so that they could become the Yuppies of the late 80s, and I definitely recall little health food stores like that in bigger Southern cities when I was a kid during the years the show is set in. To me it did look a little too much like a modern co-op though, they didn't put much effort into "rolling back" the look of everything.

So Mischa is gonna kill Henry and take his place and nobody's going to notice, right? :ninja:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CBJSprague24 posted:

Rejoice, fans of Henry!
Nice fakeout with "Henry's in the bathroom!" too.

Vanderdeath posted:

I certainly never expected to see the TV set I grew up with in :ussr: either, props to the prop guys:

It's the red box at the bottom there, can't find the exact model but it's something like [url="https://"http://matoos.livejournal.com/22579.html"]this Электроника 409[/url]. Might still be around somewhere at grandfather's place.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

precision posted:

I can't speak to Topeka directly but there were a lot of hippies leftover from the 60s who had finally got around to getting jobs and starting businesses and such so that they could become the Yuppies of the late 80s, and I definitely recall little health food stores like that in bigger Southern cities when I was a kid during the years the show is set in. To me it did look a little too much like a modern co-op though, they didn't put much effort into "rolling back" the look of everything.

So Mischa is gonna kill Henry and take his place and nobody's going to notice, right? :ninja:

Yeah, it looked a bit modern which is why it pulled me out of the scene. That and the aerial shot they had of Topeka was recent since the Capitol Building's dome was still an oxidized, rusted mess in the 80s and some of those buildings weren't there until I was a teenager in the late 90s. It's just funny to me because I imagine the production team trying to find archival footage for Topeka in the 1980s and coming up with nothing because it's such a boring and sad place.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah a lot of those little health food co op places in the midwest and south have been going since the 70's

to me the bigger fuckup was the previous episode they were supposed to be in Illinois but there were mountains in the background the whole time, looked like the Catskills

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I cannot believe this loving show builds up the Henry math teacher thing in not one but two scenes and then just goes nowhere with it. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat for the whole episode for that and then just nothing.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Earwicker posted:

yeah a lot of those little health food co op places in the midwest and south have been going since the 70's

to me the bigger fuckup was the previous episode they were supposed to be in Illinois but there were mountains in the background the whole time, looked like the Catskills

There's uh some hills in southern Illinois and quad cities area! My biggest disappointment was that I wanted to see mid-80's Chicago instead of farmland.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Center recruited Henry behind his parents back, he's never shown because he's off on various missions just as complicated as theirs. When they find this out it will be the greatest crisis of the entire show, and will lead to their abandoning communism and the USSR for good. The last scene will be Henry shooting both of them.

Henry will kill Phillip's real son and it will be exactly like Hallorann in the Kubrick Shining movie.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The Center recruited Henry behind his parents back, he's never shown because he's off on various missions just as complicated as theirs. When they find this out it will be the greatest crisis of the entire show, and will lead to their abandoning communism and the USSR for good. The last scene will be Henry shooting both of them.

Henry will kill Phillip's real son and it will be exactly like Hallorann in the Kubrick Shining movie.

And/or it's my joke post and they've given him his own attractive 20-something Soviet sex teacher like they did with the kid who went crazy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And/or it's my joke post and they've given him his own attractive 20-something Soviet sex teacher like they did with the kid who went crazy.

Your post implied that Henry was in a training he was possibly artificially prolonging due to enjoying his time with his sex instructor. My post posited that he was doing secret spy poo poo. I didn't steal from you!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Okay? >.>

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm sorry, I got a little agitated because my complicated wig came slightly undone at the exact second my high waisted jeans fell a little.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Side angle: Henry is ~Zero Cool~ and by getting caught he forces The Centre to disavow Phil and Liz.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'd rather he just had a cool punk girlfriend and was getting into the D.C scene, honestly.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So the new episode trailer heavily implies that Stan's new girlfriend is a spy.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Henchman of Santa posted:

So the new episode trailer heavily implies that Stan's new girlfriend is a spy.

Cool, I got that vibe based on the initial meeting description and first appearance.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pontius Pilate posted:

There's uh some hills in southern Illinois and quad cities area! My biggest disappointment was that I wanted to see mid-80's Chicago instead of farmland.

if they did a Chicago scene it would probably just be filmed in NYC like the rest of the show. I see parts of Brooklyn and Queens that I recognize all the time

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Cool, I got that vibe based on the initial meeting description and first appearance.

And Stan gormlessly telling Philip that getting a beer with her was like bro'ing out with Philip :v:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
SO I had been DVRing this and watched the first one of this season and it kind of made no sense. Then I came into the thread to see... Nina executed?

Yeah, so no surprise that I am totally lost as the first one DVRed is not the season premier.

gently caress

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Fog Tripper posted:

SO I had been DVRing this and watched the first one of this season and it kind of made no sense. Then I came into the thread to see... Nina executed?

Yeah, so no surprise that I am totally lost as the first one DVRed is not the season premier.

gently caress

Is it possible you missed some of last season? Nina died last year.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Baronash posted:

Is it possible you missed some of last season? Nina died last year.

It is quite possible. I had been watching it on Amazon prime. I may have to rebinge it to see what I may have missed. So did I watch the season premier last night? They sneak into the base, dig up the body, young guy falls in and they shoot him?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

It is quite possible. I had been watching it on Amazon prime. I may have to rebinge it to see what I may have missed. So did I watch the season premier last night? They sneak into the base, dig up the body, young guy falls in and they shoot him?

Yes, that was the season premiere. Nina's death is halfway through season 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
I assume Phil's other son shows up on their doorstep next week. I can't remember, does he know his son is coming? Any ideas where that storyline may go?

• Locked thread