Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Fog Tripper posted:

It is quite possible. I had been watching it on Amazon prime. I may have to rebinge it to see what I may have missed. So did I watch the season premier last night? They sneak into the base, dig up the body, young guy falls in and they shoot him?

Yeah that was this season's premiere but it seems as if you missed some important bits of last season.

Like Nina dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

misdirectomy posted:

I assume Phil's other son shows up on their doorstep next week. I can't remember, does he know his son is coming? Any ideas where that storyline may go?

No he has no idea. IIRC last Phil heard it wasn't clear whether this kid was in Afghanistan or not.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Phil's son could possibly further pull him away from "The Cause." He's already considering the fact that the Russia he's working so hard to protect and save may not be the greatest place, and his childhood memories are far from happy. Learning about his son's first hand experiences in his homeland could tip the scales. However, his son is technically AWOL I guess? That could cause problems, and Gabriel will definitely find it problematic.

Do you lot think the Jennings are redeemable? Sure, they committed some pretty violent and atrocious crimes but they were acting on orders based on information given. I know happy endings are clichéd, but with the remainder of this season and then one left we are closing on the end game. Does it really end in blood?

e: I forget. Does Elizabeth know that he has a son?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

hatelull posted:

e: I forget. Does Elizabeth know that he has a son?

yeah he told her i think last season or maybe the season before

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hatelull posted:

Phil's son could possibly further pull him away from "The Cause." He's already considering the fact that the Russia he's working so hard to protect and save may not be the greatest place, and his childhood memories are far from happy. Learning about his son's first hand experiences in his homeland could tip the scales. However, his son is technically AWOL I guess? That could cause problems, and Gabriel will definitely find it problematic.

If I were Phil and some kid claiming to be my son showed up on my doorstep right as I was beginning to have my most serious doubts, I would assume it was the Center trying to trick me into admitting something.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

hatelull posted:

However, his son is technically AWOL I guess? That could cause problems, and Gabriel will definitely find it problematic.
I think Gabriel helped him get called back from Afghanistan which people who knew the kid found odd, because how is this nobody getting brought home. So I don't think he's AWOL from the Soviet army but he's an illegal immigrant in the US obviously. Anyway iirc he doesn't know who his dad is, his mom only told him he runs a real estate agency, but she did give him contacts and money and stuff to get him to the US

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Fast Luck posted:

I think Gabriel helped him get called back from Afghanistan

Do we know that's what actually happened? I don't remember the very first scenes with the son himself, but when Gabriel said that I assumed it was just some poo poo he was making up to make Phil feel better - after all, how would Phil even know?

also, not that the show is super realistic, but it doesn't seem likely that someone in Gabriel's position would even have that kind of pull.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Earwicker posted:

Do we know that's what actually happened? I don't remember the very first scenes with the son himself, but when Gabriel said that I assumed it was just some poo poo he was making up to make Phil feel better - after all, how would Phil even know?

also, not that the show is super realistic, but it doesn't seem likely that someone in Gabriel's position would even have that kind of pull.

I guess we don't know for sure, but Gabriel told Phillip his son was home from Afghanistan and implied the Center had something to do with that. I think it was in the scene where Gabriel met Phillip in a bar, which stood out since that was the only time they've met there and it was without Elizabeth.

As to what really went down, it looks like Mischa definitely came home--and I think to Moscow--but he was in some sort of military detention facility or mental hospital because he had been accused of apparently subversive speech against the Soviet government. Which may have been the real reason he was recalled from Afghanistan and puts an interesting spin on this since he'll likely further influence Phillip on the negatives of the USSR and put him at odds with Elizabeth.

BTW, iirc he was released from detention after being threatened with like a 10 year sentence by simply recanting his subversion.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fast Luck posted:

I think Gabriel helped him get called back from Afghanistan which people who knew the kid found odd, because how is this nobody getting brought home. So I don't think he's AWOL from the Soviet army but he's an illegal immigrant in the US obviously. Anyway iirc he doesn't know who his dad is, his mom only told him he runs a real estate agency, but she did give him contacts and money and stuff to get him to the US

Would he really be an illegal immigrant? He got in through JFK, it's not like you can just walk across the border with Austria as if it were Mexico. So, asylum maybe? But then a soviet citizen might attract FBI attention...

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

mobby_6kl posted:

Would he really be an illegal immigrant? He got in through JFK, it's not like you can just walk across the border with Austria as if it were Mexico. So, asylum maybe? But then a soviet citizen might attract FBI attention...

His mom supplied him fake passports.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Whole lot of blackmailing going on in that episode. More than usual.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

mobby_6kl posted:

He's in the country with no legal right to be there; he's an illegal immigrant. He could potentially claim refugee status / defection and gain the legal right, but that would mean basically throwing himself on the mercy of the FBI and potentially getting deported if he doesn't clear their defector screening.

E: there's no way he's going to do that, especially considering his forged documentation and language skills are apparently good enough to pass international customs. If he keeps his head down and keeps moving he's not likely to have any interaction with law enforcement, and if he does he would rely on the same stuff that got him through customs. He's got no reason to turn himself in and risk deportation.

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 31, 2017

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Was it explicit that it was Mischa's mother in Russia that was supplying him with the cash and passports to get out of the country? There was a plot in the earlier seasons where Phil is on assignment and runs into an old flame from his childhood that pretty much says "after you left, I had a kid and it was yours." She dies later in the season I think?

Maybe I'm misremembering the plot.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

hatelull posted:

Was it explicit that it was Mischa's mother in Russia that was supplying him with the cash and passports to get out of the country?

Yes.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

quite a lot going on in this preview:

https://twitter.com/TheAmericansFX/status/847893852774174720

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Earwicker posted:

I thought it might have been a lie to help control Phillip too, but I would completely expect Gabriel to be able to make that possible if he wanted to. The Jennings are irreplaceable and ridiculously high-value operatives hidden in Washington DC -- if their controller called the center and said "The best-placed spies we have in all of America are going to have difficulties if this no-name grunt isn't removed from danger," I can't imagine there'd be anyone who would risk jeopardizing that just to keep another interchangeable soldier on the ground in Afghanistan.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

hatelull posted:

Was it explicit that it was Mischa's mother in Russia that was supplying him with the cash and passports to get out of the country? There was a plot in the earlier seasons where Phil is on assignment and runs into an old flame from his childhood that pretty much says "after you left, I had a kid and it was yours." She dies later in the season I think?

Maybe I'm misremembering the plot.

Philip was told she went on the run after her and Phillip's tryst and was later captured in Canada. Presumably that's true, though we never saw it on-screen. The cash and documents were explicitly left by her (there's a letter from her that explains his father is a travel agent in DC). It must have been a cache of some sort she left behind or had sent to her son; she's been gone a while.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Wait. Does Mischa know Phillip is an agent with a cover? I'm kinda assuming he does, either from his mother or elsewhere, and if he does then...

OMGVBFLOL posted:

He's in the country with no legal right to be there; he's an illegal immigrant. He could potentially claim refugee status / defection and gain the legal right, but that would mean basically throwing himself on the mercy of the FBI and potentially getting deported if he doesn't clear their defector screening.

E: there's no way he's going to do that, especially considering his forged documentation and language skills are apparently good enough to pass international customs. If he keeps his head down and keeps moving he's not likely to have any interaction with law enforcement, and if he does he would rely on the same stuff that got him through customs. He's got no reason to turn himself in and risk deportation.

...he can't do this also because it would blow his chances of meeting Phillip because to do so would be blowing his cover.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Earwicker posted:

quite a lot going on in this preview:

Trailers are noted for misdirection, but man it sure seems like that plot could take a turn where Phillip at least gets active reason to work against the Centre if a) they want to disappear the unexpected Mischa and b) they dropped in an agent to monitor/remove Stan.

Maybe the second one is a stretch, but I always get the feeling on some level Phil actually enjoys the friendship with Stan and probably hates himself even more for living that lie 24/7. Either way, having unknown variable working Stan puts them at risk.

I want to binge this entire season now. :(

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

hatelull posted:

Maybe the second one is a stretch, but I always get the feeling on some level Phil actually enjoys the friendship with Stan and probably hates himself even more for living that lie 24/7. Either way, having unknown variable working Stan puts them at risk.

I've always gotten this feeling as well. Especially since Stan was never a planned mission, it just fell into their laps. That scene in the garage last season when Stan thinks Phillip was loving around with his wife was painful (also because lol virus). Though, I don't know if I still understand what Phillip's motivations were with Stan's Ex except the obvious one of venting/EST crap. Thought there were hints of something else going on there, not in a sexual way, but in Phillip getting leverage against Stan.

LostOne
Dec 20, 2002

It was Gabriel and Claudia who had a discussion about Mischa fleeing the Soviet Union, presumably to come to America but they don't know that for sure. Philip, as others have said, is absolutely out of the loop but he does know Irina was caught in Brazil and sent back home for trial. I'm just glad to see him make it to the States so soon, was expecting that to take all season to be used as a hook for the next.. although I suppose it could take that long to actually find his father given all that he really has to go on is his day job.

Fast Luck posted:

I think Gabriel helped him get called back from Afghanistan which people who knew the kid found odd

If I remember correctly Mischa was offered the chance to end his tour early but refused, Gabriel offered to pull him out anyway (at Elizabeth's request) if Philip wanted but he declined. I believe Philip was told he finished his tour and made it home safe but I could be totally making that up. He definitely doesn't know Mischa was criticizing the war and sent to the mental hospital though, and while it's totally possible Gabe was lying about pulling him out of Afghanistan to begin with as leverage the Center did seem to have enough pull to get him out of lockup so I presume had Philip taken him up on the offer he could have pulled it off.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Mischa voluntarily stayed longer than he had to.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

LostOne posted:

he does know Irina was caught in Brazil and sent back home for trial.

I thought she was executed?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
She was, but Philip doesn't know that, I don't think.

LostOne
Dec 20, 2002

Earwicker posted:

I thought she was executed?

I assume she was as well but I don't believe the show has ever explicitly said so, all that we really know for sure is that she was arrested. You'd think 'trial in Moscow' is pretty much a euphemism for execution anyway but maybe that only applies if your name isn't in the opening credits.. after all Nina's trial only ended up in prison (at first) and she had the opportunity to work her way out of it. I'm not sure if being a Directorate S agent means more second chances or less, I certainly wouldn't expect to ever see her again either way though.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Henchman of Santa posted:

So the new episode trailer heavily implies that Stan's new girlfriend is a spy.

I was just thinking that finally Laurie Holden has a decent boyfriend instead or The Governor or Vic Mackie but I guess it might not work out.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

LostOne posted:

I assume she was as well but I don't believe the show has ever explicitly said so, all that we really know for sure is that she was arrested. You'd think 'trial in Moscow' is pretty much a euphemism for execution anyway but maybe that only applies if your name isn't in the opening credits.. after all Nina's trial only ended up in prison (at first) and she had the opportunity to work her way out of it. I'm not sure if being a Directorate S agent means more second chances or less, I certainly wouldn't expect to ever see her again either way though.

But I didn't think she was directorate s? It's been a while, of course.

And Nina didn't fail her way to prison execution. She didn't get far with the scientist, but she rocked the French girl. I'm still waiting for the blowback between Oleg and his father.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mischa's mother was not Directorate S. She was a civilian.

e: Whoops, not quite a civvie:

quote:

When Philip is accepted into the Illegals Program, Irina breaks up with him and tells him that she's met someone else. Later, Irina also joins the KGB as an undercover agent in Europe.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I wonder if Mischa will present himself as someone other than Phillip's son whenever they finally encounter each other. Just to get a feel for him and the situation first.

tomapot posted:

I was just thinking that finally Laurie Holden has a decent boyfriend instead of...Vic Mackie but I guess it might not work out.

How do I not remember this at all even though I've watched The Shield? Always had a thing for Laurie Holden too.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Reading through Zinky Boys and depending on how the showrunners throw it, Mischa showing up should be much more interesting for Elizabeth than Phillip. The perspective of most everyone in the book is that the whole Soviet Union being a champion of raising up the downtrodden peoples of the world is quite clearly a farce exposed by their complete inability to do anything approaching that in Afghanistan.

Realistically though, it's Elizabeth, not even the truth of the Afghan war will break her zeal.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Somehow (in case it comes true) I've a feeling that Philip's ultimately going to have to kill Elizabeth and then himself to save Paige and Henry from becoming *them*, right after sending a full confession to Stan for him to receive posthumously.

FX is the network of Fargo. There's not going to be a happy ending here.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I hope it's an anti-climax where nothing's resolved and it's just uncomfortable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Philip and Liz will turn out to be that Directorate S couple they found a few years back.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

There were, like, ten of them busted all at once. That could very well be an endgame they've considered.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Someone earlier in this thread said it should end with either Elizabeth, Phillip, or both watching the Berlin Wall coming down, and now I can't think how that wouldn't be a part of the final episode.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

OMGVBFLOL posted:

There were, like, ten of them busted all at once. That could very well be an endgame they've considered.

IIRC the ones who were busted in 2010 were welcomed back to Russia warmly and then just continued on with their espionage careers probably in other countries, I don't think that's really dramatic enough for the show

Longbaugh01 posted:

Someone earlier in this thread said it should end with either Elizabeth, Phillip, or both watching the Berlin Wall coming down, and now I can't think how that wouldn't be a part of the final episode.

They'd have to jump ahead 5 years in time to do that, which would definitely be a break with the speed of the show and also thats harder to deal with when you have teenage actors

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 3, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Earwicker posted:

They'd have to jump ahead 5 years in time to do that, which would definitely be a break with the speed of the show and also thats harder to deal with when you have teenage actors

When whoever first posted the idea, and since, I've never thought of it like that. Just one scene. Not an episode or part of the episode larger than a scene. Never thought it would involve the kids either.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

BIG HEADLINE posted:

FX is the network of Fargo. There's not going to be a happy ending here.
FX was also the network of Justified, which had a happy ending, but that doesn't fit the tenor of this show. Though speaking of Justified...

Earwicker posted:

I could see them doing what Justified did in its finale, and jump ahead five years as an epilogue to wrap everything up.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Yeah, the final episode, or at least the back half of the final episode, should absolutely just be really short little looks at various important future points of the various surviving main characters over the years.

They've spent quite a bit of time in the last few seasons going into P and E's reasons for staying strong and to the cause. They both remember growing up in the USSR as post-war shithole, parents starving, needing to kill people just to not get their milk stolen, all while The Party tells them that World Socialism would already be a thing and everything would be perfect, if only it wasn't for those bourgeois aristocrats and fat cats in Europe and the US purposefully fattening themselves at the expense of the workers and people.

So, P&E go to America, the Main Enemy, and spend, what, 15, 20 years trying to help bring about world socialism and consign the US's capitalist exploitation to the ashheap of history, as the dialectic demands must inevitably happen.

And what do they see? The US continues to prosper and prosper and prosper. Henry throws out a piece of toast in a fit of teenage assholery. They can't help but contrast their kids' lives versus their own.
Meanwhile, you've got this soviet family telling them that, in fifteen years, NOTHING has changed. Philip is getting an earful from the defector guy. Russia really does have every single thing it needs to be just as prosperous as the US; the land, the climate, the resources, the people. So why isn't it? When the only real difference is the leadership and ideology, what could possibly be causing Russians to starve while the US is literally producing more food than it knows what to do with? Why can a sixteen year old kid in the US get a pilots license as a hobby, when in the US, vital infrastructure still involves 'horse and wagon?'

In fact, things have probably gotten worse, in a lot of ways, from when P&E were kids.

So P&E, but especially Elizabeth, are clinging more and more to this idea that it's all, somehow, the USA's fault.

Mark my words, they're going to find out that the midges are for testing pest-resistant crops, cuz the US is trying to be helpful, and it's going to rock Elizabeth, if not shatter her.

Also, mad props on Momma Oleg dropping some truth bombs on how to survive.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

Mark my words, they're going to find out that the midges are for testing pest-resistant crops, cuz the US is trying to be helpful, and it's going to rock Elizabeth, if not shatter her.

That is an interesting direction and plausible for sure. But what about the fact that Stan and Alderholt are going around trying to talk to people who deal with those same agricop companies, and being coldly refused?

• Locked thread