Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

precision posted:

Holy gently caress that preview is good. Stan and Oleg going rogue is something I predicted long ago because it seems so obvious and I am so happy if that's what we were seeing

I just want a happy ending for some of them, though. :(

Yeah they've put the effort into making it plausible for Stan to go that route. Because of course this show did because it's great and I didn't realize it was coming back so soon and now I'm very excited!

e: is Reagan's name being misspelled a joke I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

precision posted:

I wonder if we'll get to see Martha in the final season, living her new life in Russia, or if they just tossed her body out of the plane.

That would make for one very pissed off Clark if/when he found out.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Nouvelle Vague posted:

I'm the only person who feels Martha wore out her welcome.

Also, kinda worried about Misha this season. It seems kinda forced.

I don't want an extended plot line of Martha's Adventures in the USSR but wouldn't mind a couple scenes to establish her new life/death.

Agreed about Misha but I trust the people making the show at this point.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Hell even my British friend when he was visiting was blown away by the scale of American supermarkets.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

TheCenturion posted:

Lots of people have hair a different color than facial hair. And I get the impression that this job is out in a suburb or bedroom community.

I'm glad someone finally brought this up. You goons need to get out of the house more often! It's not at all uncommon for natural blondes to have darker eyebrows/facial hair.

And I think it's safe to say it's in the D.C. area. Defector dad works for the department of agriculture and they're certainly not in the heartland.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

precision posted:

Oleg remains fantastic and probably the most sympathetic character on the entire show.

Mail robot?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Earwicker posted:

yeah a lot of those little health food co op places in the midwest and south have been going since the 70's

to me the bigger fuckup was the previous episode they were supposed to be in Illinois but there were mountains in the background the whole time, looked like the Catskills

There's uh some hills in southern Illinois and quad cities area! My biggest disappointment was that I wanted to see mid-80's Chicago instead of farmland.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Fog Tripper posted:

It is quite possible. I had been watching it on Amazon prime. I may have to rebinge it to see what I may have missed. So did I watch the season premier last night? They sneak into the base, dig up the body, young guy falls in and they shoot him?

Yeah that was this season's premiere but it seems as if you missed some important bits of last season.

Like Nina dying.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

CBJSprague24 posted:

Both parents just being mindfucked that Henry is good at math. :lol:

And the show somehow plausibly setting it up (if even by accident) between him playing stratomatic with Stan and his interest in computers and games. This show is just too good.

And have we ever gotten the exact age/grade difference between Paige and Henry? Because ya it feels as if he should be a freshman by now. Paige is probably 17 right? Between driving lessons past season and Matthew being a bit older and about to head off to college. Maybe Paige repeated junior year.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Longbaugh01 posted:

Or followers of Mad Men.

"That's what the money is for!"

Best episode.

Or bowling bags and The Sopranos. The Americans suitcase scene reminded me very much of that.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

A Hank-on-the-shitter moment.

And that would be hilarious and amazing.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Oh yeah meant to thank this thread for that recommendation. Those ten episodes went quick.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Didn't Elizabeth mention at one point that Phillip came from a better off family? His flashbacks still seem pretty rough. Is this a case of Elizabeth having it even shittier/being more of a communist crusader? Or just to emphasize how lovely the Soviet experience was during the Great Patriotic War?

I guess I had imagined him coming from an Oleg type family or at least comfortably middle class.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Rewatched the most recent episode with my parents and they both immediately said spy! regarding Indiana University/U of I and they're not the most careful or critical TV viewers. Both my brother and I went to the real U of I though so that helps but the staff writers obviously write deliberately and it's hard to believe none of them are from the Midwest or familiar with the IU/U of I/Iowa abbreviating tradition. Plus why introduce the character if she isn't a spy? I'm having difficulty imagining ways in which she's relevant but just a normal person. Her conversations with him seem as if she's prodding for information but we've seen that's also just normal when an SO can't say very much about their job.

tldr stan gf spy

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If she was a spy she wouldn't have made that mistake :tinfoil:

I also thought that but it is an easy thing for the KGB to just overlook. So many layers...

e: as a gay man, she's also much more attractive than him. And he's a nice guy but not exactly the most charismatic or socially adept one.

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 2, 2017

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

maskenfreiheit posted:

Also, I missed the bit about Indiana... was Renee supposedly an IU grad?

It's an open secret that the Central Eurasian studies department churned out CIA analysts like hotcakes. (I mean, they teach Azerbaijani, Estonian, Kazakh - what do you expect)

I'd bet she's CIA rather than Soviet.

She referred to Indiana University Bloomington as U of I which is traditionally what University of Illinois Urbana Champaign is called and IU is the Indiana University abbreviation.

It's reasonable that the FBI or CIA would have doubts about Stan's allegiance but assigning an agent to it seems like overkill versus monitoring. And he met her before he really dug in about Oleg right?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

My favorite thing about this show is how it illustrates how well trained human beings can operate at peak efficiency for 60 hours a day without sleeping.

Bet you had some hot takes when 24 was on.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Tuan almost certainly knows what he only needs to know but the kid is clearly sharp and I'm sure he's connected most of the dots.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

maskenfreiheit posted:

it was the 80s

Yeah this. The 90s are when people begin freaking out about abductions and leaving children with non-family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Turns out the Americans were just trying to breed the dankest weed!

• Locked thread