Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006
My wife is bloodthirsty. I just started a job that has us on opposite schedules and she asked me if I thought she'd like this show. I told her she might get annoyed with the kids. She texted me her review: I hope Paige dies screaming and broken. I can't stand her. Everyone else can live.

I can't disagree with her too strongly. I'm not overly fond of the character either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Caganer posted:

i mean, she is religious which is the biggest ill in the world so understandable

I'm on your watch list for outing you as an intelligence agent aren't I?

My issue is that the actress seems to only be able to be either a piece of mopey wood or flailing about wildly with outrageously outraged indignation. I try to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that's what she's told to do but I'm not sure.

My wife hates snotty kids.

Neither of us cares about the religious part of her character beyond thinking the jumps right in both legs first approach to the Christianization of the character was lame.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006
I get that Paige is being a teenage girl. I didn't like teenage girls when I was a teenager and I don't like them as an adult.

Also while it has been some time since I was a teenager I do remember the girls having more than two emotional settings even though, as far as I know, none of them had parents that were in the Illegals Program unless you're counting being an illegal alien.

Since Meadow and the Sopranos was mentioned, she was easy to ignore because of the large cast. AJ was the one that became obnoxious. Extremely so in the last season, I almost stopped watching because of him.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

precision posted:

The way Paige is dressed/sexualized in the first episode when she's still, what, 13? is super period accurate and also super gross. Like people acted like girls being sexual in the 90s but it's been going on for like, ever. It's kinda hosed up.

I haven't started my rewatch yet so it's been awhile since I last saw the first episode but I can't think of Paige wearing a particularly sexualized outfit or behaviors from her that I'd describe as sexualized. I can think of some gross stuff being directed at her. Can you post a picture or give an approximate time in the episode that's putting up a red flag for you?

Caganer posted:

...Why can’t they focus on pure, innocent characters like the mail robot.

Because the mail robot is too good for this show and this planet.

Jeremy_X fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 13, 2018

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Baronash posted:

It's a plot line in the episode. She wears an age-inappropriate outfit to the mall and gets hit on by a creepy predator. That's the subplot that ends with Philip shoving a grill skewer into the dude's balls.

For some reason I was thinking that happened in a later episode. I rewatched the mall scene and her outfit doesn't seem inappropriate to me not even when viewing it with the 80s in mind. My upbringing in the 80s was very liberal though. My sister and all my cousins wore outfits like that then and still do now so that's probably why I don't see her outfit as inappropriate or sexualized even with the literally giant leering pedophile.

• Locked thread