Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

banned from Starbucks posted:

Someone remind me what was the last we heard from pastor tim? He was nabbed in africa then came home and i forgot after that

And where's Kimmy damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Earwicker posted:

Does Oleg know who Martha is? I mean he knew Stan and most probably knew that Gaad's office had been bugged, maybe even knew about her relocating to Russia since that was a larger operation..

Doubtful. Oleg was assigned to work on science and technology intel. Closest he got to Martha was transcribing Mail Robot beeps.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Reading through Zinky Boys and depending on how the showrunners throw it, Mischa showing up should be much more interesting for Elizabeth than Phillip. The perspective of most everyone in the book is that the whole Soviet Union being a champion of raising up the downtrodden peoples of the world is quite clearly a farce exposed by their complete inability to do anything approaching that in Afghanistan.

Realistically though, it's Elizabeth, not even the truth of the Afghan war will break her zeal.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I still don't get why so many posters in this thread think that after the Soviet Union ended all Soviet spies abroad just gave up and stopped being spies like they lost a board game.

While the KGB didn't exactly go "welp, Soviet Union's over, time to pack up our poo poo and go home," the collapse of the USSR did (shockingly) have some impact on the Russian intelligence community. Yeltsin had no great love for the state security apparatus, and didn't really seek to preserve it--I'd argue that he was trying to actively dismantle it by splintering it into the SVR, FSB, FAPSI, and whatever else, but was somewhat distracted by the rapid collapse of much of the economy, failure to form functioning separated powers in the federal goverment, and the desire to hold onto a semblance of democracy going into the 1996 elections despite the various issues exposed by the constitutional crisis, first Chechen war, aforementioned economic issues, etc. etc. Unless The Americans intends to do a massive, massive timeskip for season 6, the realistic endgame for the series is either somewhere in a period of collapse and confusion or some very unpleasant recovery. The Soviet security services didn't just stop in 1989/1991, but they sure as hell didn't head into a period of quiet business as usual while the rest of the country sorted itself out either.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

I don't think we're done with Mischa. He didn't fly all the way to the US just to meet an old man who's telling him to shut up and go home. I don't think he's going to go home quiet and willingly, and Gabriel can't exactly kill him+fold him up into a suitcase and send him home that way.

I mean, he could, but it might cause some blowback.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

God I love Elizabeth: "It's okay to care someti--" "NO IT ISN'T."

I've been watching Адаптация, the closest equivalent on Russian TV to the Americans, and it's quite amusing despite me not having nearly a good enough command of Russian to get what's going on all the time. Plus seeing Peter Jacobson as the CIA boss in a Russian series is an amusing contrast.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

That was one of the best episodes so far this season.

I'm a bit confused as to how they intend to use Evgenia though. Are they just going to send her back to Moscow to date the CIA guy? How the heck would that not be conspicuous as hell for him?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Oh hey, a musical interlude in The Americans that uses a Soviet song for once! Nice use of Журавли between all the flight imagery in the scene itself and the episode subject overall. I'm kind of sad that they didn't somehow move this episode up to the 9th, but that would have been maybe beating the ~*symbolism*~ drum a bit too hard.

That said, historical significance aside, the original version reminds me how terrible of genre crooning is even if it's the only appropriate choice given the whole period drama thing. NEEDS MORE TRIP HOP.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

This entire season has just been a brilliant troll to set us up for a season 6 where we have Kimmy episodes all the time.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Mail Robot rides again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Darn, the episode title list appears to indicate that outside some sort of time skip for an ending montage, the show likely won't include the dissolution of the USSR.

• Locked thread