Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Zero One posted:

Henry is Asian now

Those drat recasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

What a strange arrangement. A lot of effort just to talk to this kid.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Oh, Henry does still exist. I thought the "in a minute" thing was just so they had an excuse not to show him.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

This seems like a major security failure.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

We have now spent 5-7 minutes of this episode digging.

You like slow burns? We'll give you the slowest loving burn on cable television!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

howe_sam posted:

They thought of everything. Though I don't get why that would be.

Two decades out, there's no guarantee anyone is going to remember why there is a dead guy buried in the backyard.

howe_sam posted:

I'm still not getting why they need the pound of flesh unless it was all a setup for Digger #2 to wind up with Glanders somehow.
Pretty sure it was to get a Glanders sample.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

drunkill posted:

I liked the little detail of Oleg getting home and flicking through the Russian guide for the Olympics. I assume that was going to be a great propaganda tool in Russia and was produced before the boycott.

He's watching the Winter Olympics, which took place in February.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

drat, what a lovely way to handle a guy who helped you out.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Cue "In the Air Tonight"

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

"She's like a female version of you." :laffo:

Not sure that's how you describe a date to your best friend.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Zero One posted:

Ummmm... what is happening?

The Birds and the Bees.

"Think about us whenever you're about to have sex."

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Accretionist posted:

I didn't expect it to be some hokey rub your fingers together and think of your parents thing.

Yeah, that was honestly pretty strange and kind of dumb. It didn't jibe at all with Elizabeth's "I'm tired of treating her like a child" line. I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting (though it definitely wasn't anything like what people were saying upthread, jfc), but I did kind of expect it to be sort of off-putting to the audience.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I got my SO into this show, and we've been binging to try and get her caught up. I had forgotten about the ARPAnet plotline in the second season, particularly the absolutely absurd way the scientist tries to explain packet switching.

"So you write a postcard and it goes to heaven where god translates it and sends it to a mailman in virtual space on the highway to the future."

Baronash fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 29, 2017

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

phosdex posted:

I noticed the shop window said vegan and I'm not sure if that was much of thing in the mid-80s.

Veganism really started to take off during the counterculture movement in the 60s. It wouldn't be out of the ordinary for a health food store to be touting it by 1984/5.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Fog Tripper posted:

SO I had been DVRing this and watched the first one of this season and it kind of made no sense. Then I came into the thread to see... Nina executed?

Yeah, so no surprise that I am totally lost as the first one DVRed is not the season premier.

gently caress

Is it possible you missed some of last season? Nina died last year.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Elizabeth's eyeroll after the psychiatrist visit was great, as was Phillip's surprise that he didn't ask about her dreams.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Here's your grandpa Paige!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

"Philip you needy bitch."

God, this is a strange woman.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Question: what ever happened to that Soviet defector woman that the FBI had to protect?

She was a Soviet spy. Oleg and Stan outed her in an attempt to get the US to trade her for Nina. They traded for someone else instead.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Philip is going to jump off a building at some point.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Paige flinging that rope/punching bag over the girder as the Pasha suicide story was going on has me a little worried about how the next episode might go down.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

TheCenturion posted:

I think Paige is getting seriously seduced into the spy game. It makes her feel powerful and in control. She sees the KGB building legends, Mom kill some fools, the parents getting Pastor Tim sent away with little or no effort, all the stories about how they're doing cool stuff for the benefit of all mankind, and she digs it.

I could see this, but at the same time she seems increasingly despondent over lies she has to maintain. It really feels like a toss-up on whether we're gonna see a mother-daughter bonding moment or a suicide attempt next week.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Holy poo poo.

Was that Stan's voice over the radio? e: Guess not.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 31, 2017

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I wish my street was wide enough to just sit and chat with neighbors. :saddowns:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Hahaha. loving Reagan.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Is Martha gonna get a kid? :3:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I think this may be the least finale-like finale of this show so far.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

What happened to all of these racquetball courts? Did community centers just rip the walls out? I don't think I've ever seen one.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

:pedo: rearing its ugly head one last time.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I don't think I heard it well enough. What was the info he overheard on that tape?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

what

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Actually it was weird, it never looked like she was at all concerned about material possessions but suddenly this is what got her thinking, and not, oh, her two young kids having to a completely alien environment?

I initially took it completely differently. I don't think she was solely lamenting the loss of her possessions, but realizing that, as you said, that her environment is completely alien to the one she grew up with. She's loyal, but she's not stupid, I think part of that scene was her realizing that the Soviet Union would never feel like home to her kids.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Gyshall posted:

I think an important thing to point out is that this show is more akin to Mad Men then a straight up spy action show.

And what made you think this was important to point out to a group of people who are five seasons deep into the show?

Seriously, the discussion since the season ended is worse than Whochat. Just a bunch of goons who desperately want random internet people to know that they have ~good opinions~ about tv shows and are not filthy plebes.

Pretty much just 2 pages of poo poo like this:

precision posted:

But I think I'm more into ambient world-building in TV than most goons seem to be.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Folding bodies into briefcases since 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Jeremy_X posted:

I haven't started my rewatch yet so it's been awhile since I last saw the first episode but I can't think of Paige wearing a particularly sexualized outfit or behaviors from her that I'd describe as sexualized. I can think of some gross stuff being directed at her. Can you post a picture or give an approximate time in the episode that's putting up a red flag for you?

It's a plot line in the episode. She wears an age-inappropriate outfit to the mall and gets hit on by a creepy predator. That's the subplot that ends with Philip shoving a grill skewer into the dude's balls.

• Locked thread