Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Reminded me of a story Viktor Belenko (the first pilot who defected with a MiG-25), about how he mistakenly bought and ate cat food at his first supermarket because it resembled food containers he recognized, and merely thought the cats on the label were a 'company mascot' or something. He also thought the supermarket was a CIA prop to convince him how great America was.

Once upon a time, my ex and some of his Post-Soviet friends were drinking and I was feeding the cats. Some Wellness Beef & Salmon canned food, which apparently smelled just like some kind of meat based Soviet babyfood that sent the group into a despairing pit of refugee/immigrant nostalgia.:ussr:

We still talk about this show nailing so much stuff that us Cold War Kids of the 80s remember from either side of the fen- Iron Curtain... Whatever.

mobby_6kl posted:

I can see how one might get confused:

Exactly. :ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

hatelull posted:

Is this going to be the season where Phil finally loses the heart and stomach for "the cause"? He just looked super miserable having to go through all the motions for making the Topeka connection, and he seems to be finding more empathy in his conversations with the defector.

The defector is illustrating a current USSR that is still experiencing post-war deprivation and dysfunction that the Directorate S operatives have been divorced from by merit of living in the US so long.

It may not be empathy with the defector per se so much as a realization that all of Phil's work is for nothing and there's another Soviet generation wallowing in the things that they keep saying have ended, will end, etc.

Assume that Phil is doing the math as such: If even 30% of the hyperbole being poo poo out by that dude is correct then what the hell is actually being accomplished and if things are falling apart in key aspects now, at this point, then is this a descent that can even be pulled up from

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Cool, I got that vibe based on the initial meeting description and first appearance.

And Stan gormlessly telling Philip that getting a beer with her was like bro'ing out with Philip :v:

• Locked thread