Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Anyone else think that Tuan ends up offing the Russian immigrant out of spite and anger because dude is wholly unhinged hoping to please the Jennings. It just seems that Phil gets more and more disgusted with the "party line" that Tuan is constantly toeing in their conversations.

Also, what are the odds that the o[diary]o that's teased in the trailers belongs to o[the Pastor?]o That dinner scene last season was super tense, and I'm super curious as to what the fallout will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Is this going to be the season where Phil finally loses the heart and stomach for "the cause"? He just looked super miserable having to go through all the motions for making the Topeka connection, and he seems to be finding more empathy in his conversations with the defector.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Phil's son could possibly further pull him away from "The Cause." He's already considering the fact that the Russia he's working so hard to protect and save may not be the greatest place, and his childhood memories are far from happy. Learning about his son's first hand experiences in his homeland could tip the scales. However, his son is technically AWOL I guess? That could cause problems, and Gabriel will definitely find it problematic.

Do you lot think the Jennings are redeemable? Sure, they committed some pretty violent and atrocious crimes but they were acting on orders based on information given. I know happy endings are clichéd, but with the remainder of this season and then one left we are closing on the end game. Does it really end in blood?

e: I forget. Does Elizabeth know that he has a son?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Was it explicit that it was Mischa's mother in Russia that was supplying him with the cash and passports to get out of the country? There was a plot in the earlier seasons where Phil is on assignment and runs into an old flame from his childhood that pretty much says "after you left, I had a kid and it was yours." She dies later in the season I think?

Maybe I'm misremembering the plot.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Earwicker posted:

quite a lot going on in this preview:

Trailers are noted for misdirection, but man it sure seems like that plot could take a turn where Phillip at least gets active reason to work against the Centre if a) they want to disappear the unexpected Mischa and b) they dropped in an agent to monitor/remove Stan.

Maybe the second one is a stretch, but I always get the feeling on some level Phil actually enjoys the friendship with Stan and probably hates himself even more for living that lie 24/7. Either way, having unknown variable working Stan puts them at risk.

I want to binge this entire season now. :(

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I'm surprised Mischa went back to :ussr:

Yeah, that was a super long buildup to a super bleak ending. Dude went through all that only to end up back in the country he most definitely wanted to leave. I bet it comes up at some point that he was here and Gabriel knowingly kept him away from Phillip, and that will just drive Phillip further away from the cause.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Is Gabriel at the Lincoln memorial supposed to suggest hes going to defect?

I think there was an earlier episode this season where Gabriel expressed admiration for "their Lincoln." I'm nowhere near a poli-sci expert but Lincoln was a lot of things for a lot of people. Just browsing over some general subject matter and the guy was both the advocate of the common and a symbol for people oppressed by the communist regime.

The defecting thing is interesting, but for Gabriel to turn like that would be so very odd since nothing has ever indicated he was anything but a patriot.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 12, 2017

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

TheCenturion posted:

And there's plenty of payoff. The little flashback of the Korean family, for example, was an amazing way to illustrate Elizabeth's regrets and internal discord about the human cost of what she does, and the sacrifices she makes on a daily basis.

Thanks for bringing this up as it confused us last episode. That was the house the Korean lived in now with new occupants, yes? Elizabeth returned to reflect on the family she basically destroyed per orders from the Centre. Is that what we were supposed to get out of it?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

So, do we all believe Tuan? Was that whole thread just to further drive a wedge between the ideals of Phil and Elizabeth? Also, the chronology of the scenes had me confused in this episode.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

phosdex posted:

I think I'm going to be pretty mad if this comes down to that kind of Philip vs Elizabeth.

Hasn't it always been this in some form or another? Early Season One Phillip ACTIVELY wants to defect, and Elizabeth toed the party line. Their positions have waxed and waned throughout the seasons, but it still seems that on a base level Phillip is more and more in love with the idea of America and that dream while Elizabeth is constantly having to remind herself that she's fighting for the cause and slowly destroys pieces of herself in order to do what needs to be done (the lady from the mail robot factory, her Korean friend, the bug guy, and now the ex-Nazi (potentially forced) collaborator. I saw that wedding Phillip spun up as an attempt to unite them in the hopes that their feelings for each other would overcome Elizabeth's desire to keep doing stuff that will inevitably turn them into irreparably damaged human beings as if they are not already and she'd be into walking away from it all with him.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I caught that but it may not matter? If Tuan gets linked to Pasha's suicide (or attempted suicide), the Jennings cover is blown and Tuan would have to be disappeared anyway.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I find it hard to buy at this stage of the game that Philip is really on board with going back home. Claudia gave them an honest opinion on how the kids would take it and reading between the lines she didn't really make it sound like an awesome fun time. Granted, she doesn't want to lose her best operatives but her words were smart and well chosen. Is defecting really not an option?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

At the of last week's episode Tuan warns them about a car parked in front of the house, so they keep walking and do not try and interfere with Pascha right?

I know it closes on them walking down the street, but I wasn't sure if Phillip kept on going or if he was irritated enough to say gently caress it and storm up to the house.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

esperterra posted:

gently caress I can't wait for GoT to end.
Same here, just so I can binge the whole thing and get the complete story. I never even finished Season One on my first attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Re: Henry
It would be super interesting (but probably not happening) if they caved and let him go to that super fancy school where all the politicians send their kid during the break.

Re: Chernobyl
If they included it, would it be yet another tragic nail in the coffin that is Phillip's love for "the cause"? I'm not up on the history of that disaster, but initial it was blamed on the workers and then after the fact it got blamed on negligence during construction?

I'm also hoping for a happy(ish) ending, but it doesn't seem likely.

• Locked thread