Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Those promo posters are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Stan going to bat for his buddy Oleg :3:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Party Plane Jones posted:

I'd be shocked if the series doesn't end with Stan getting killed by Phillip/Elizabeth to cover up their activities, only for it to be for nothing as the wall goes down and the Soviet Union collapses.

Phil and Liz finally convert Paige and she kills Stan. Then the wall collapses

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CBJSprague24 posted:

Both parents just being mindfucked that Henry is good at math. :lol:

By far the best part of the episode. Need to improvise during spy stuff? No problem. Henry is good at math? OH poo poo KEEP YOUR COOL

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I'm surprised Mischa went back to :ussr:

DarklyDreaming posted:

Paige, meet the closest thing you have to a grandpa.

Gabriel :(

Yes Phillip, your dad was a guard at a prison camp. And he probably looted things from the dead prisoners and brought them home for you. Hope you enjoyed those shoes as a kid.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CBJSprague24 posted:

"You're losing it."

Welp.

"You really should've kept Paige out of all this."

Welp.

howe_sam posted:

Good Lord, Phillip's expression at the end of the episode. :stare:

Goddamn that was some good poo poo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

If she was a spy she wouldn't have made that mistake :tinfoil:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CBJSprague24 posted:

Glanders in Afghanistan

and

"He would want revenge"

poo poo just got real.

Martha gonna get :commissar: if she keeps talking about knowing poo poo and if the Russians think she will be a problem

CBJSprague24 posted:

How did Oleg find out about Nina's execution? I was waiting for that to be revealed and turn him against his dad for failing to prevent it.

His dad told him iirc after Oleg pressed him on the issue.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Martha’s flat is huge.

What was she having for dinner? Fried onions with a shitton of salt on them in a bun?

"Looks good" C'mon Gabriel, you aren't that good of a liar :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Doctor Butts posted:

Elizabeth was so blindsided by Henry that she didn't have a chance to go all Marxist on Henry's desire to go to a boarding school with rich people.

Then again, had they been paying attention to Henry at all, he'd have misgivings about it from the start.

What better way to get an in with the bourgeoisie? :ussr: Henry can take them down from the inside.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"I don't want Stan to be like Martha" But she's so happy Phil :v:

I laughed when Tuan said he manipulated his peers into putting dogshit in Pascha's locker. Then I felt super bad when his mom brought it up :(

Developing secret spy film together is a family bonding moment :3:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

phosdex posted:

Only 3 eps left this season and I'm still not really sure where this one is going.

Paige join the cause :ussr:
Henry is shipped off never to be seen again
Martha gets 2 potatoes for dinner after Oleg busts the food supply chain lady.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oleg: Food supply chain investigator is pretty good. Uncovering some hard truths :ussr:

Zero One posted:

Hahaha. Henry is in love with the mail robot!

Those sexy curves are seducing poor Henry.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Oh wow, we've transitioned from "feed her all her pills" to "forced confession to husband of hidden atrocities".

e- And then "tense execution" happens anyway.

That whole scene was great. Elizabeth is intense as hell :stare:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GobiasIndustries posted:

I did a rewatch before this season started and I had to skip through those scenes, once was enough for me :(

And yeah, Jesus Elizabeth, that was some cold poo poo, especially shooting the husband first.

That's the Elizabeth we know and love :ussr:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

TheCenturion posted:

No, as soon as they rolled up and pulled a gun on her, her fate was sealed; they couldn't take any chance whatsoever of leaving direct witnesses behind. They only reason they bothered talking to her was to try to salve their own consciences by demonstrating that she was actually guilty.

She didn't ever regurgitate any information that they didn't give her, so I'm still undecided about her actual identity.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm also wondering about this. Before her husband showed up, all she said was that she killed people and just parroted back what Phillip and Elizabeth said. Then when her Husband gets there, she tells a story about nazis getting her really drunk and how she killed soviet people. She didn't even give any information on who her parents were or anything else that could identify her. She just accepts she is going to die and tells a story that sounds like what they want to hear. I don't think she was who the center claimed she was.

She was who the center thought she was. Unless she turned into a great actress when her husband arrived despite being a wreck before that. She spilled the beans and then got :commissar:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

That's why I think the endgame is Philip and Liz finally united against... whoever. The wedding ceremony was, I think, a pretty heavy-handed hint about that as a possibility. At some point Liz will break, orrrrr...

The show ends on each of them pointing guns at the other, Henry and Paige standing behind Philip, screen cuts to black, BANG, series over, enjoy your lack of closure!

Murder-suicide by FBI has got my money.

Then Paige walks in and shoots Stan :ussr:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tuan you are hardcore as gently caress

I would 100% watch a spinoff series starring Oleg learning about how lovely Russia is. Set it to sad soviet music. The chat he had with his dad was pure :3:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

phosdex posted:

Oleg is gonna end up same as Nina I think.

Hey mom, what were the camps like? :ohdear:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

Trying not to kill kids is bourgeois

Tuan is definitely hardcore as gently caress :ussr: I still want Elizabeth to adopt him lmao

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is Stan's girlfriend "one of them" or not?

Yea it definitely seems like she is after her talk with him.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phenotype posted:

ffs I cannot believe that was a finale.

I mean, once all's said and done I tend to marathon shows anyway, and I imagine the next season will flow from here pretty well, but goddamn was that anticlimactic.

Agreed. But I guess the other way to look at it is that the final season will have nothing but payoffs and :tviv: moments

Still, it wouldn't have killed them to have one major thing happen in the finale. Season 3 all over again

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

howe_sam posted:

Shameful lack of Mail Robot on that list

Stan murdered whatshisname, Nina's buddy, he deserves whatever lonely life is coming his way.

Series ends with Stan's girlfriend telling him she's pregnant :ussr:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sten Freak posted:

This is late but we just watched all 5 seasons starting a couple months ago. We really loved it, until we hit season 5.

My wife still begrudgingly held on to her love of the show for a few episodes but by mid point S5 it wasn't the same for her either.

What happened? I cannot recall a show that fell off a cliff quite like this did. There were glimmers of brilliance here and there but mostly it plodded along. The family is the center of the story but they need the spy parts, the action and intrigue to make it work. It felt like a family drama a couple episodes in and never recovered. The Russian woman who turned on her country and killed prisoners episode was strong but that was a stand-alone mission and plot with nothing relating to the longer story arcs except to reinforce what we were beaten over the head with for seasons - now they are really really starting hate their job.

Instead of intrigue and development what did we get?

- The 2 main characters mostly spent time in Kansas, working on wheat and wheat-pest missions
- Boring Russian story about grocery theft that did nothing to move Oleg's story along. 0. (Really think about this subplot for the whole season. It did nothing for the larger story or Oleg)
- Paige, who has a well of potential story had some boyfriend troubles then we either saw her doing church things or sparring with her mom
- An entire season of Beeman hanging out with a girlfriend with just a bit of drama thrown in about his ex boss

Tuan was interesting. In the end that fizzled.

I'm not even going to mention Henry because he's been a throwaway character from the start. His conversations with Beeman are interesting and he had maybe a minute or two of screen with him S5.

The finale had one touching moment with Martha and the orphan. Hell, that may have been the highlight of the season.

This show checked a lot of boxes and got stuck in a rut early on (I'd argue E2) and never got back on the track the earlier seasons laid. Too bad.

I mostly agree with this except for the Oleg part. His story was good as it showed him how the :ussr: really works. Much better than the garbage plot they pulled with Nina a few seasons earlier.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sten Freak posted:

To clarify the point about Oleg: Seeing the process from the Soviet viewpoint and setting was cool. Seeing him with his family was insightful. My beef is the subject matter of the investigation and the fact that all that time investigating ended in a wet fart - this is the way the country works. All that time spent for that conclusion seems a waste to me.

That was the best part that really hammered home the point of how corrupt the :ussr: is for Oleg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dennis McClaren posted:

Where does Phillip get his pot from, that he smokes with his agents?

Afghanistan :v:

• Locked thread