Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I would never have expected the Americans to go to my crapstick hometown for plot. I do find it funny that they thought there would be a Trader Joe's-like health food store in Topeka in the middle of the 1980s though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

precision posted:

I can't speak to Topeka directly but there were a lot of hippies leftover from the 60s who had finally got around to getting jobs and starting businesses and such so that they could become the Yuppies of the late 80s, and I definitely recall little health food stores like that in bigger Southern cities when I was a kid during the years the show is set in. To me it did look a little too much like a modern co-op though, they didn't put much effort into "rolling back" the look of everything.

So Mischa is gonna kill Henry and take his place and nobody's going to notice, right? :ninja:

Yeah, it looked a bit modern which is why it pulled me out of the scene. That and the aerial shot they had of Topeka was recent since the Capitol Building's dome was still an oxidized, rusted mess in the 80s and some of those buildings weren't there until I was a teenager in the late 90s. It's just funny to me because I imagine the production team trying to find archival footage for Topeka in the 1980s and coming up with nothing because it's such a boring and sad place.

• Locked thread