Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I was just wondering yesterday where the new thread was because we're so close to the season premiere.

Really looking forward to this season!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The last episode had Superbowl 18, Redskins vs Raiders, which was 1984.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I guess there is a russian version of The Americans that has become pretty popular:

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/03/23/the-next-must-watch-tv-show-is-russias-version-of-the-americans/

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Vanderdeath posted:

I would never have expected the Americans to go to my crapstick hometown for plot. I do find it funny that they thought there would be a Trader Joe's-like health food store in Topeka in the middle of the 1980s though.

I noticed the shop window said vegan and I'm not sure if that was much of thing in the mid-80s.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

My favorite thing about this show is how it illustrates how well trained human beings can operate at peak efficiency for 60 hours a day without sleeping.

I think this same thing about Mike scenes in Better Call Saul.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Only 3 eps left this season and I'm still not really sure where this one is going.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I think I'm going to be pretty mad if this comes down to that kind of Philip vs Elizabeth.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

pigdog posted:

Why didn't they just search for, or make that woman show younger photos of herself? :bang: She could've just as well come off completely innocent if she didn't implicate herself (poorly).

Also, nobody in USSR drove a loving Trabant. That piece of crap wasn't even good enough to be exported to Russia.

Like BIG HEADLINE said previously, I don't think she was getting out of that alive no matter what.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

They've always had that dynamic. I guess I'm wanting a happy ending for them whatever that means and not a "one kills the other to get their way."

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

That's a pretty cool cover.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

That reminded me that right around now the us is secretly selling arms to Iran to fund the contras.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I would 100% watch a spinoff series starring Oleg learning about how lovely Russia is. Set it to sad soviet music. The chat he had with his dad was pure :3:

Oleg is gonna end up same as Nina I think.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Yeah or that. I was thinking previously they were going to have him defect.

Also lmao at that shakedown on Stan and adderholt.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 11:55 on May 24, 2017

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

So what's the deal with the hockey playing fiance guy? Is he just naive or working with the Russians or are we not supposed to know yet?

I used to work for a professional hockey team and the players were dumb as gently caress.

Also this is my fav show on tv right now.

Yeah it's unclear for now but I don't think naive would be the right term for that guy. Bit of intentional wordplay there when Stan mentioned the Quantico class on dangles.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

It's hard to tell what year it is for sure. I believe it's late '84 or early '85 judging by the weather.

Last season ended in feb'84 (superbowl and olympics were mentioned). Then we had the summer season for the wheat.

Chernobyl meltdown was April '86 and I would think it would have been mentioned at least in passing if we were past that point.

Another thing is Henry applying for that school. Likely trying to get into the fall term.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 25, 2017

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

drunkill posted:

That was the big subplot of season 2. Oliver North was a guest writer for that one episode where they infiltrate the contra training base and kill a bunch of people and even Elizabeth is kind of "whoa, that could have been avoided"

Season 2 was the stealth stuff wasn't it? The Iran-Contra affair I was referring to began in 1985 and didn't involve training Contras.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I loving hope not. I like these characters and all, but we can't keep having "watch Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell look concerned at a world event" masquerade as a plot point.

Someone needs to die, or tell someone something they shouldn't have, tonight, otherwise this will be a Boring Season.

Something does need to happen. I've enjoyed the season but it's been pretty slow.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

hatelull posted:

At the of last week's episode Tuan warns them about a car parked in front of the house, so they keep walking and do not try and interfere with Pascha right?

I know it closes on them walking down the street, but I wasn't sure if Phillip kept on going or if he was irritated enough to say gently caress it and storm up to the house.

I think that they are going to his house no matter what, tuan and elizabeth are trying to get philip, who was walking ahead of them in sort of an angry walk, to slow down a bit and try to be less suspicious. Just a normal family out for a walk comrade.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Wikipedia says that Reagan gaffe was leaked oct'84 so now we know it's not 85 or later.

I liked that jacket thing Elizabeth was wearing during that talk with tuan.

And when I get up I want to see if I can figure out which hockey player that was on the poster above paschas bed. Mogilny defected 89 I believe.

Oh my recording ended early.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 31, 2017

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

howe_sam posted:

I think, it might've been Slava Fetisov (who as far as I can recall did not defect to come play in the NHL), but somebody from that era of the Soviet team for sure.

Nice one, that is him.

Here's that pic, he's #5:
https://www.si.com/olympic-ice-hockey/photos/2014/02/12/greatest-russian-hockey-players-all-time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I am so hyped up for tomorrow. Hope we get a great season to end this.

• Locked thread