Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy gently caress that preview is good. Stan and Oleg going rogue is something I predicted long ago because it seems so obvious and I am so happy if that's what we were seeing

I just want a happy ending for some of them, though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Those promo posters are great.

I hope the reason for Paige having one eye covered red and Henry still having both uncovered isn't hinting at what I think it is. I'm probably overthinking it but I mean it's definitely saying something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zero One posted:

Henry will forever remain oblivious.

This season should be heading into the Great Video Game Collapse so he's gonna need a new hobby :ohdear:

e: wait, I forgot about the time skip - what year are we in now? 1984?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This show, or my own brain, or both, are so dense that I totally forgot Misha was in America in season 4.

And while I can understand the reason some people don't like Nina's USSR plot, I thought it was thematically fantastic, showing us the dark realities of 80s-era Russian poo poo. The length of her plot is something that could justifiably be complained about, for sure - yeah, she needed to get sent back and tricked and killed for Stan and Oleg to go all Double Dare on the Cold War, but it's definitely arguable that the show could have done it a lot quicker.

But I thought it was fine.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wonder if we'll get to see Martha in the final season, living her new life in Russia, or if they just tossed her body out of the plane.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I dunno, I read the goodbye scene as if Philip knew that Martha might be getting the Lenny treatment, that Gabriel might be lying just to assuage his conscience. They really have no reason to let her stay alive.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jennings 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mameluke posted:

Jesus christ why the gently caress are you even thinking about this. The only thing your non-observation is a commentary on is your own mind.

Seriously what's wrong with you people :gonk:

Poor Oleg :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

vermin posted:

I was thinking of starting this series. Is there action? Is it mostly people talking about relationships? Is there a clearly marked best season and worst season?

There's action, of the "abrupt and disturbing violence" variety, not really many "action scenes" per se. Lots of talking about relationships and politics and the 80s. The plot is deeply serialized and if you don't start at the beginning you'd be largely lost, thankfully season 1 starts very strong and generally speaking the show has done a good job of steady upward progress in quality.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kanonvandekempen posted:

Has there been any word on when (or if) the 4th season will appear on netflix? The first 3 seasons have been available for a long time now, and I assumed the 4th would be released by the time the new season would start airing, but I haven't seen anything about it.

Seasons 1-4 are on Amazon, are you in a non-US country?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oleg remains fantastic and probably the most sympathetic character on the entire show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Apparently Moscow actually had tons of disco bars in the early 80s and they were partially controlled by the KGB and were popular spots for meeting foreign agents so holy poo poo writers give us Oleg in the disco now please

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vanderdeath posted:

I would never have expected the Americans to go to my crapstick hometown for plot. I do find it funny that they thought there would be a Trader Joe's-like health food store in Topeka in the middle of the 1980s though.

I can't speak to Topeka directly but there were a lot of hippies leftover from the 60s who had finally got around to getting jobs and starting businesses and such so that they could become the Yuppies of the late 80s, and I definitely recall little health food stores like that in bigger Southern cities when I was a kid during the years the show is set in. To me it did look a little too much like a modern co-op though, they didn't put much effort into "rolling back" the look of everything.

So Mischa is gonna kill Henry and take his place and nobody's going to notice, right? :ninja:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah Mischa voluntarily stayed longer than he had to.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
She was, but Philip doesn't know that, I don't think.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mischa's mother was not Directorate S. She was a civilian.

e: Whoops, not quite a civvie:

quote:

When Philip is accepted into the Illegals Program, Irina breaks up with him and tells him that she's met someone else. Later, Irina also joins the KGB as an undercover agent in Europe.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Philip and Liz will turn out to be that Directorate S couple they found a few years back.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think it's possible Henry is the only Jennings getting out alive.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The guy who plays Stan would be perfect for the inevitable Naked Gun reboot

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like it's going to turn out that Henry is hacking his grades. And then The Center is gonna be like "We would be very interested in putting those skills to good use :russia: "

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
He's doing it from Stan's house!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mischa seems destined to get shot by Claudia, and with the way that Gabriel and Claudia have been mirroring Philip and Liz for the past few seasons...

What I'm saying is that Liz will kill Mischa in the finale.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The last 5 minutes of this episode rank with the opening 5 minutes of the pilot. Holy shiiiiit.

I read Oleg burning the stuff as him doing his Punk Rock New Wave Rebel Thing Yeah and basically saying "gently caress all this lovely system and its lovely making me imprison a guy who was just as much a victim of our awful government and oh yeah gently caress YOU DAD"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Patriot has a thread! :)

I'll say this though, I thought that the greatness of the show was in part due to the fact that it never stops being absurd farce and schadenfreude. It is definitely similar to Burn After Reading in that way and if you think it'll be a deal breaker for you that the season never stops being full of chaos and complications.

Though I will say that John very much does change over the season. It's important sometimes to remember that when the season starts, it's only a few months (or less?) than that after he underwent "The White Torture" which consisted of him being in a bright steel box and hearing "The Day the Music Died" for literally 8 months.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Matthew grows up to be J. Mascis

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This episode didn't have a lot of big plot forward motion but holy goddamn it was one of my favorites of the entire series in terms of moving the characterizations along. Philip and Liz went a long way in this episode, poo poo. Both individually and as a couple. I'm starting to hope they might have a happy ending even though logically I doubt it :ohdear:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

maniacripper posted:

Can we assume that the final conflict resolution is going to be between Phil/Elizabeth and Stan?

The way those three characters are currently going, it wouldn't make much sense for them to face off - they're both firmly stepping into territory where they're doing things because they're good for humanity, not because they're patriots. Like if Stan found out, he'd be thinking "there's so much good we could do together", not "welp I guess they're Unpersons now"

e: Which is to say, if I were to make a bet, I think that resolution would be in the form of Stan "bringing them in", but not "serving them up"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fast Luck posted:

That's because they're all running the same cover together (airline crew that adopted Vietnamese kid).

Tuon doesn't know they're Directorate S, right? Doesn't he believe they're actually airline workers who have been turned into spies? If he knew about them having a family I doubt he would have been afraid they'd turn him in just for calling his old family from a pay phone in another state

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

maskenfreiheit posted:

Speaking of Henry, you know who hires a lot of math lovers who went to fancy boarding school? That's right - the NSA.

Honestly if they're not heading toward something where Henry gets one of those sweet Army offers where they pay for all your college in return for a mere 4 years of service, I'm not sure at all where else they could go with it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo, super obscure Bauhaus song out of nowhere (also, my favorite song of theirs). That was really unexpected, even most Bauhaus fans don't pay attention to the songs where Peter Murphy isn't singing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The way they kept showing the open door behind the priest, and the way the last shot of him singing was framed, I was 100% certain we were going to hear a gunshot, see him fall down, and see Claudia standing in the doorway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Every youth pastor I've ever heard of has had to retire in disgrace or go to jail. And not just for sexual stuff, a lot of them are like "hey, let's smoke weed and drink beer and talk about God" because, as misguided as that is, they're obsessed with the notion that being a Christian is "cool".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm really surprised how sympathetic this season has made Oleg's dad. Judging by past seasons I was expecting him to be twirling his mustache by this point, not coming off as kind of cool by sticking with his wife when most Russian men didn't.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
if the show ends up with Philip vs. Liz as its central conflict... I'll be very disappointed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That's why I think the endgame is Philip and Liz finally united against... whoever. The wedding ceremony was, I think, a pretty heavy-handed hint about that as a possibility. At some point Liz will break, orrrrr...

The show ends on each of them pointing guns at the other, Henry and Paige standing behind Philip, screen cuts to black, BANG, series over, enjoy your lack of closure!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Murder-suicide by FBI has got my money.

Then Paige walks in and shoots Stan :ussr:

I would unironically love if Paige has been such a deep cover agent that she's been faking her emotions to her parents, just like Gabriel told her to, and she'd been reporting on them the whole time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
No, Henry. YOU are the Americans.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The fact that our agencies just threw money around so brazenly in the 80s is a big part of why things are so hosed now. Terry O'Quinn's character in Patriot even jokes about it, "We can't just send another bag of money, this isn't the 80s"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

phosdex posted:

That reminded me that right around now the us is secretly selling arms to Iran to fund the contras.

It won't be a secret that much longer, we may get to see Ollie North on TV next season!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Tuan you are hardcore as gently caress

I would 100% watch a spinoff series starring Oleg learning about how lovely Russia is.

Yeah, it's a big but cool surprise that Oleg has #1 Soviet Dad. :3:

Also, I'm like 99% certain that supermarket set is the same one they used in The Handmaid's Tale.

Edit: was the soccer player Matthew Lillard?

precision fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 25, 2017

• Locked thread