Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Old 2000 AD comics can be pretty racist :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah. I went "Yikes!" a lot reading old progs. It's that typical type of British racism where they make a show of how they're totally ok with black people, unlike those dumb Americans, but then they'll caricature east asians, indians, middle easterners, etc. to a degree that competes with racist 4chan memes.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Guy Goodbody posted:

Which ones in particular are you talking about?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lightning Lord posted:

Which ones in particular are you talking about?

Robo Hunter. I found all three volumes in a used book store, which is great because it's so rare to find 2000 AD stuff in America. but then I started reading it and, yikes. For instance, Sam's Cuban robo-cigar,

And I couldn't find any images of them online, but Ian Gibson draws some pretty drat adorable incredibly offensive Japanese caricatures.

aside from that tho, it's not bad

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I read the Eagle reprints of Robo-Hunter at a real young age and noticed absolutely none of that most likely because I had no idea what racist caricatures were at like 7

Sure hated that cigar though

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

trashbuilder posted:

I have a pretty good feeling Comics Alliance is going to be an April fools joke, but i am also often wrong

One of my co workers writes for them and she mentioned on Facebook that she just posted her last article so it sounds legit.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I couldn't find a picture of the Japanese caricatures, but the robo-rabbi should give you an idea

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
So some people in a Facebook group I'm in are twisting themselves into knots trying to turn Peter David's "I'd Rather the IRS Not Take My House" GoFundMe into an excuse to call him a shithead, and I want to punch through the loving universe like Superboy Prime.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Senior Woodchuck posted:

So some people in a Facebook group I'm in are twisting themselves into knots trying to turn Peter David's "I'd Rather the IRS Not Take My House" GoFundMe into an excuse to call him a shithead, and I want to punch through the loving universe like Superboy Prime.

So you're saying he doesn't want to live like a gypsy Roma?

Superboy-Prime
Jul 23, 2009

Ask me who
the REAL SUPERBOY
is!!

then make me a sammich woman
Well maybe he should just make more comics or something. He shouldn't beg the internet for money because of his lovely financial planning.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Superboy-Prime posted:

Well maybe he should just make more comics or something. He shouldn't beg the internet for money because of his lovely financial planning.

Well. This is awkward.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Gavok posted:

Well. This is awkward.

I think that guy is actually Superboy Prime. Looks like in our reality he got sentenced to post on SA instead of DC's now non-existent forums

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lightning Lord posted:

I read the Eagle reprints of Robo-Hunter at a real young age and noticed absolutely none of that most likely because I had no idea what racist caricatures were at like 7

Sure hated that cigar though
Predicted both vaping and how annoying vapers can be.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

They added all 5 season of The Real Ghostbusters cartoon to netflix!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anybody got a link to PAD's GFM? I'm curious.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

Not ashamed in the least bit to admit I bought the Time-Life DVD Collection the first day it released even though it was super expensive. It was a good decision.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

Not ashamed in the least bit to admit I bought the Time-Life DVD Collection the first day it released even though it was super expensive. It was a good decision.

I bought it 2 years ago. It sits in a place of proud display on a bookshelf.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

I bought it 2 years ago. It sits in a place of proud display on a bookshelf.

Did that version still have the super nice steel cases? I heard after the initial run they replaced it with plastic cases.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

Did that version still have the super nice steel cases? I heard after the initial run they replaced it with plastic cases.

Mine is a hard paper/cardboard type box in the shape of the firehouse.

or are you talking about the inner cases? mine are plastic, but are nicer plastic cases. not the cheaper plastic.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

Speaking of, in case you missed it the #1 for the new idw arc came out...last??? week

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

Mine is a hard paper/cardboard type box in the shape of the firehouse.

or are you talking about the inner cases? mine are plastic, but are nicer plastic cases. not the cheaper plastic.

No, the actual DVD cases are steelbooks. Mine has the firehouse case as well.

site posted:

Speaking of, in case you missed it the #1 for the new idw arc came out...last??? week

I bought it but haven't read it yet. I've heard it's good, but all the Burnham/Schoening has been really good so that's not a surprise.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Anybody got a link to PAD's GFM? I'm curious.

Apparently not curious enough to type Peter David Go Fund Me into google, but here
https://www.gofundme.com/peter-david-needs-your-help

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Apparently not curious enough to type Peter David Go Fund Me into google, but here
https://www.gofundme.com/peter-david-needs-your-help

I for some reason thought GFM's were private unless you were invited to them!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Mr Hootington posted:

Cool, I can finally see how that Doomsday episode ended!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Someone make an April thread or I'll just restick/rename this one later tonight.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I've been trying to think of an April pun and it ain't coming.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

I've been trying to think of an April pun and it ain't coming.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's giving up.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Let's just switch to the French Revolutionary Calendar. Somebody start the Germinal thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815654

here you go.

• Locked thread