Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Look, Nintendo would like to make another Metroid, it's just that they already covered how all women exist only to bear children and find ultimate self-realization through having babies while any rejection of that bio-truth is pure evil. It's not their fault that they've already addressed the totality of the female human experience and there's no other facets to address.

Other M was a franchise killer, sorry

I have no idea how, at the very least, that scene at the ending where Adam stops her from going into FakeTourian and instead ejects the final level into the sun in favour of a Metal Gear-rear end ending got past ANYone at Nintendo. Team Ninja, sure, they animated their monsters, flips, and made sure Samus had bomb-rear end bouncing titties, so their job was done, but how the gently caress do you let that design choice get beyond even just a document.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

irlZaphod posted:

I'm getting a Switch because it looks cool.

...and also because I have more money than sense (I don't have much of either, tbh).

You shouldn't, apparently it tastes terrible.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm gonna wait for a Black Friday sale on the Switch. Zelda looks does look really good, but that's not enough for me to $360 on it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Nintendo: Interest in Metroid is at an all time high thanks to this extremely well received trilogy that represents the best translation of a beloved 2d franchise into 3d since Super Mario 64, what can we do to completely ruin all of that goodwill and critical acclaim?

Team Ninja: Hold my beer

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

purple death ray posted:

Nintendo: Interest in Metroid is at an all time high thanks to this extremely well received trilogy that represents the best translation of a beloved 2d franchise into 3d since Super Mario 64, what can we do to completely ruin all of that goodwill and critical acclaim?

Team Ninja: Hold my beer

Team Ninja is on record that they were shut down when they tried to make better gameplay decisions

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Gameplay was not other Ms problem.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

Look, Nintendo would like to make another Metroid, it's just that they already covered how all women exist only to bear children and find ultimate self-realization through having babies while any rejection of that bio-truth is pure evil. It's not their fault that they've already addressed the totality of the female human experience and there's no other facets to address.

Other M was a franchise killer, sorry

Other M was a crappy movie bankrolled by the galactic government for the purposes of character assassinating the fugitive Samus Aran after she went on the run after destroying their own Metroid experiments in Metroid Fusion. There, I fixed it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Team Ninja wasn't the problem at all, and actively tried to fix Sakamoto's fuckups.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Gameplay was not other Ms problem.

It had poo poo gameplay but it was far from the worst problem with the game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Unlucky7 posted:

Other M was a crappy movie bankrolled by the galactic government for the purposes of character assassinating the fugitive Samus Aran after she went on the run after destroying their own Metroid experiments in Metroid Fusion. There, I fixed it.

Ah the iron man defense.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

joehonkie posted:

Pretty much. Although everyone I know is hoping they make VC versions of all the Wii U stuff we all missed. Except the like 2 people I know who bought Wii U.

I have no regrets about buying a Wii U because Mario Kart 8 is distilled joy in video game form. :colbert:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I bought a Wii U entirely for Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 and do not regret that decision at all.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Team Ninja wasn't the problem at all, and actively tried to fix Sakamoto's fuckups.

ImpAtom posted:

Team Ninja is on record that they were shut down when they tried to make better gameplay decisions

Can I ask for some sources/links? I know they basically washed their hands of the story, but I've never heard any statement giving examples of things they weren't allowed to do, certainly nothing like Retro's mentioning that they weren't allowed to actually have Samus as a bounty hunter in any meaningful way because Nintendo didn't seem to understand what the phrase means in the West.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

Can I ask for some sources/links? I know they basically washed their hands of the story, but I've never heard any statement giving examples of things they weren't allowed to do, certainly nothing like Retro's mentioning that they weren't allowed to actually have Samus as a bounty hunter in any meaningful way because Nintendo didn't seem to understand what the phrase means in the West.

Just as an example, Team Ninja was told by That loving Jackass Sakamoto that the Gravity Suit being purplish pink looked weird and stupid, even though it had been that color since the very first game, so they were told to change it so that it isn't purple, resulting in the final game where the Gravity Suit isn't an actual suit but just an aura around the Varia suit. He was always constantly asking them to redo things like that and micromanaging every single decision they made, to the point that the only real creative freedom they were likely allowed was how much of Samus' nipple we can make out through the zero suit.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gaz-L posted:

There was a good Let's Play done a few years back that had a section with interviews and dev comments.

Team Ninja kept wanting a less stupid control system but Sakamoto insisted they not use the nunchuk because ~reasons~.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Matt Wagner just announced the final chapter of Mage, The Hero Denied, will debut this summer. I've been waiting almost my entire adult life for this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Matt Wagner just announced the final chapter of Mage, The Hero Denied, will debut this summer. I've been waiting almost my entire adult life for this.

I've been waiting my entire life for River City Ransom Underground and these nerds are talking about Other M instead.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There was a good Let's Play done a few years back that had a section with interviews and dev comments.

Team Ninja kept wanting a less stupid control system but Sakamoto insisted they not use the nunchuk because ~reasons~.

Thanks for this. I think one of the more telling elements is him admitting he barely has any awareness of Prime, (or ANY first person or even 3D games, by the sounds of it)

One or two of the elements he mentions for the story make sense the way they're phrased in the quotes, but not in the way they came out in game. Samus being crap at relationships or everyday social interaction is actually a fine concept and could be played for equal parts comedy and pathos, but that's not what was shown.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

Rhyno posted:

Just came to post this, Mage was something I saw a lot as a kid and never read. Like im sure it was in Wizard a bunch and the odd random issue here and there.

I began to think I'd imagined it.

Given the big ol gaps between minis was it published consistently during the minis themselves or were there three month gaps between issues too?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

The most blatant example is that the sidewas NES-style control scheme was a demand from Sakamoto.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Rhyno posted:

This is great news but I really want more Grendel. Even it isn't by him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Are they still running with the "Steve Rogers. Agent of Hydra" thing? Is it actually working? Did they give themselves an out?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are they still running with the "Steve Rogers. Agent of Hydra" thing? Is it actually working? Did they give themselves an out?

They're doing Secret Empire 2 soon, I imagine that's when it'll all shake out.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yes, no, and I guess yes since there's an upcoming event based on all the other heroes finding out and going to war with Cap over it I can't imagine he stays Hydra by the time it's done.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Yes, no, and I guess yes since there's an upcoming event based on all the other heroes finding out and going to war with Cap over it I can't imagine he stays Hydra by the time it's done.

I assume Sam and/or Bucky beat him back to sense. Maybe holo-ghost Tony is involved.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Betting pool for Secret Empire:

http://www.strawpoll.me/12456361

Edit - Oops, I forgot the option where it's all Carol's fault.

Roth fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 3, 2017

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Roth posted:

Betting pool for Secret Empire:

http://www.strawpoll.me/12456361

Edit - Oops, I forgot the option where it's all Carol's fault.
Voted TRUMP'S AMERICA, just like Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter did in real, actual life.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Rhyno posted:

I can't wait to see how old as hell Kevin Matchstick looks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm kind of on the fence with Mage 3 because in a way, Matt Wagner saved my life.

Twelve years ago I was in a very bad place mentally. I was very close to taking my own life and couldn't find much of a reason to keep on living. I sat there in the tiny place I lived in and stared at the ceiling for hours and when I made up my mind to do it, I got up and glanced at my bookshelf where my newly purchased copies of Mage 1 & 2 were sitting. (The "new" HCs Image released). And I thought to myself "If I kill myself I'll never know how the story ends." And that night, that was enough to shake me out of it. The days after were not good but I often think about how the idea of not getting to finish the story annoyed me enough to not go kill myself.

And now he's going to finish it and a very small part of me is worried that sometime in the future I might be in a bad place again and I won't have Kevin Matchstick to save me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Next time.you feel like that just think to yourself that you can't die until you know for certain whether I named one of my future children after you. Let that question keep you going.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rhyno posted:

And now he's going to finish it and a very small part of me is worried that sometime in the future I might be in a bad place again and I won't have Kevin Matchstick to save me.

You could always substitute it with Orc Stain.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There'll always be Marvelman.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Battlechasers man, Battlechasers got your back.

Concerning Secret Empire, I've not been reading Captain America much but I do recall one of the first issues showing Steves hydra flip was because of red skulls cosmic cube kid changing him. Isnt this all leading to Bucky (since hes living with Cube Kid in Thunderbolts) having a "remember who you are" moment?

Agent_grey fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 4, 2017

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Agent_grey posted:

Battlechasers man, Battlechasers got your back.

Concerning Secret Empire, I've not been reading Captain America much but I do recall one of the first issues showing Steves hydra flip was because of red skulls cosmic cube kid changing him. Isnt this all leading to Bucky (since hes living with Cube Kid in Thunderbolts) having a "remember who you are" moment?

Something like that, no doubt. I mean, it was obvious to anyone who's been reading comics for any length of time that this would end with Steve overpowering the Kobik reprogramming and becoming Good Cap again. That'll likely be the denouement of Secret Empire (with there still being some consequences to the world from his Evil Cap plan that will let them say "nothing will ever be the same again!")

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
See, thats whats sounded a bit weird to me about everyone getting so cross about it as it always seemed something that would get undone by stories end, I even feel maybe the issue revealing skull was behind it likely came along a little early to ease the backlash people had to it.

Lately I have been reading twitter a bunch and saw a lot of people being very upset about him being a Nazi (Say Hydra isnt Nazi all you want but thats dumb) but I figured the end result of it being undone would be obvious.

Perhaps I have the benefit of reading too many comics for so long to just shrug and assume this is how it ends.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

While it's pretty dumb to freak out at a comic storyline changing a character as if it was going to be the status quo forever, it's probably pretty unwise and demoralizing to have Captain America be a nazi in the current political climate, especially if he's going to be written by Nick Spencer and give weird moralizing speeches to Tony Stark's corpse about how Hillary Clinton caused Benghazi or whatever that was about.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

I'm kind of on the fence with Mage 3 because in a way, Matt Wagner saved my life.

Twelve years ago I was in a very bad place mentally. I was very close to taking my own life and couldn't find much of a reason to keep on living. I sat there in the tiny place I lived in and stared at the ceiling for hours and when I made up my mind to do it, I got up and glanced at my bookshelf where my newly purchased copies of Mage 1 & 2 were sitting. (The "new" HCs Image released). And I thought to myself "If I kill myself I'll never know how the story ends." And that night, that was enough to shake me out of it. The days after were not good but I often think about how the idea of not getting to finish the story annoyed me enough to not go kill myself.

Pretend Warren Ellis is going to write more Fell, or Desolation Jones, or Doktor Sleepless

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
None of those books touched me in the way that Mage did!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The comic shop near me is having a half off back issues sale. I picked up the complete run of Amethyst Princess of Gemworld. I'm a big fan of those weird 12 issue series DC used to run, like Outcasts or Camelot 3000. On a whim, I also got Alpha Flight

All of Alpha Flight

I don't know anything about Alpha Flight, is it any good?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus God no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

The comic shop near me is having a half off back issues sale. I picked up the complete run of Amethyst Princess of Gemworld. I'm a big fan of those weird 12 issue series DC used to run, like Outcasts or Camelot 3000. On a whim, I also got Alpha Flight

All of Alpha Flight

I don't know anything about Alpha Flight, is it any good?

It's kinda hilarious how often Canada is portrayed as this Fascist military haven in the 80s X-men comics, but Alpha Flight sucked enough that no one really gave a poo poo when Bendis killed them all off panel in his New Avengers, and no one cared when they came back with no explanation.

• Locked thread