Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Jesus God no.

Skwirl posted:

Alpha Flight sucked

OK, so 130 issues of Alpha Flight for 20 bucks was not the great deal I assumed it to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
YOU FOOL

YOU FOOLISH FOOL

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Guy Goodbody posted:

OK, so 130 issues of Alpha Flight for 20 bucks was not the great deal I assumed it to be

Read all of it and report back. I never read it, I mostly know of it because of when they hosed around with Wolverine and the whole "one of the first gay characters in comics is retconed into a literal fairy, then dies of AIDS" thing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh bullshit, it's not even the whole series. It's just 1-105 and both annuals. I'ts missing the last 25 issues. I got ripped off.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I always liked Alpha Flight, even if their ongoing was bad. They're from Canada, like me. :unsmith:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Canada... this was in a very questionable one-shot that I picked up for cheap at the comic book shop recently.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody says hockey stadium, that man is a fraud.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

107 issues of anything for $20 sounds like a hell of a deal. :eyepop:

MU doesn't have it all so I'm jelly.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Aphrodite posted:

Nobody says hockey stadium, that man is a fraud.

Not my Logan, eh

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There was a short lived Alpha Flight series in the late-2000s (maybe early 2010s?) which is kind of topical now because the bad guy is basically using the Purple Girl to brainwash Canada into a super-conservative fascist state, including turning Northstar's husband against them (in a VERY unsubtle anti-gay conversion allegory), and trying to make Aurora's 'good girl' personality betray the team for being immoral heathens.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

The comic shop near me is having a half off back issues sale. I picked up the complete run of Amethyst Princess of Gemworld.
Hell yeah Amethyst!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

There was a short lived Alpha Flight series in the late-2000s (maybe early 2010s?) which is kind of topical now because the bad guy is basically using the Purple Girl to brainwash Canada into a super-conservative fascist state, including turning Northstar's husband against them (in a VERY unsubtle anti-gay conversion allegory), and trying to make Aurora's 'good girl' personality betray the team for being immoral heathens.

It also gave us Centennial and the second Major Mapleleaf both are amazing characters/

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh bullshit, it's not even the whole series. It's just 1-105 and both annuals. I'ts missing the last 25 issues. I got ripped off.

Actually the longer alpha flight went on the worse it got, so you're probably missing the worst of the worst

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That sounds like a bargain for so much Alpha Flight, regardless of quality. I'm sure I've brought it up before, but does anyone want to talk about good deals on comics they're proud of?

Last weekend I got the Hawkeye omnibus for $45, and Ellis' Moon Knight for $5. I have all the floppies, but I consider that a fifty well spent.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I just read America #1 and anyone got any thoughts on it? It seems mostly incoherent, and... insultingly inclusive to brown people and LGBT people? Is that a term?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

I just read America #1 and anyone got any thoughts on it? It seems mostly incoherent, and... insultingly inclusive to brown people and LGBT people? Is that a term?

Perhaps you meant patronizing? I've not read it so I can only guess.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The comic shop near me is having a half off back issues sale. I picked up the complete run of Amethyst Princess of Gemworld. I'm a big fan of those weird 12 issue series DC used to run, like Outcasts or Camelot 3000. On a whim, I also got Alpha Flight

All of Alpha Flight

I don't know anything about Alpha Flight, is it any good?

Are you in Indianapolis? My comic shop had that same sale! Picked up a ton of Batman and Detective to make a huge dent in what I need to complete a post-COIE collection.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Scaramouche posted:

What

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

No idea what he's talking about. But I read it and it's just lovely.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

pubic works project posted:

Are you in Indianapolis? My comic shop had that same sale! Picked up a ton of Batman and Detective to make a huge dent in what I need to complete a post-COIE collection.

Naw, Texas

pubic works project posted:

No idea what he's talking about. But I read it and it's just lovely.

I think he mean's the groan-worthy attempts to be "woke" like the kids. Like when America says, "An alien made of pure white light? Well, white is just the absence of color, so I'm gonna punch it with my brown fist!"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That's no worse to me than the billions of dumb quips that Spider-Man has put out over the years.

I thought the issue was average overall.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No it's way worse because it takes 3 steps.

2 steps maximum.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Is that the Marvel America comic or the weird knockoff version.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Marvel one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's too bad, I was hoping for it to be good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Naw, Texas

I think he mean's the groan-worthy attempts to be "woke" like the kids. Like when America says, "An alien made of pure white light? Well, white is just the absence of color, so I'm gonna punch it with my brown fist!"

That has nothing to do with woke it's just a bad joke.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

That's too bad, I was hoping for it to be good.

It's gorgeous and the comic is fine, just a bit disjointed and rushed. The biggest problem I had was America breaking up with her girl friend and some of the dialogue. As far as first issues go, it's got me looking forward to number two.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Also, considering the writer herself is a queer latina, herself I'm less inclined to believe she's writing jokes like that just for the kids to think it's "woke" or something.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soonmot posted:

It's gorgeous and the comic is fine, just a bit disjointed and rushed. The biggest problem I had was America breaking up with her girl friend and some of the dialogue. As far as first issues go, it's got me looking forward to number two.

That breakup scene was the worst. She breaks up with her girlfriend because she can't handle a long-distance relationship, and then teleports away using her teleportation powers. That should've been hilarious, I don't know how they hosed that joke up.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
America #1 was pretty bad, to the point where I can't be bothered to give it a second chance. Just didn't click with it at all.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Sorry for that unfocussed take guys. Wasn't trying to be all alt-right or anything, I'd love a comic that highlights ethnicity and sexual preference in an empowering way. But this one seems... off. The whole "white being brown fist" thing was a big eye roll to me. I'm sure blaxploitation era Power Man has probably said things about his black fists, so maybe I'm just employing a double standard.

Woke issues aside, "disjointed" is a good way to describe it too, just jumping all over the place (Like America! Hah!), from pathos to punching and back.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ha. I wasn't paying attention to America's reception (or any comics. Blame Zelda.) The gulf between critical and user reviews on this aggregate site is pretty big.
http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/marvel-comics/america/1

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yeah, stuff like America going to school at this perfect neoliberal bastion of tolerance and the arts and insane advanced technology and perfect loving harmony that apparently exists on our world and not some utopian parallel dimension was bad, and the fact that it's literally named Sonia Sotomayor University was worse, and then she's immediately greeted by rapping dancing Latinas and they're from mother loving Leelumultipass Phi Theta Beta sorority and holy poo poo, that's about two magnitudes of terrible worse than I can take.

Also everyone who meets America immediately reads her Wikipedia page out loud to her, it's very weird. Yes thank you we know she's affiliated with the Ultimates and Young Avengers and is a general mutliversal badass, please have everyone stop repeating those facts as their first reaction to meeting her, this is not how you build anyone's character ever.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

neoliberal

that's not what that word means (sorry)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah that's like the opposite of what that word means.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Fine yes I got it twisted up with all the weird sci-fi bullshit that was being asserted as not only existing but being a totally normal thing and it made the "neo" prefix seem appropriate, sorry.

My criticisms stand :mad:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, stuff like America going to school at this perfect neoliberal bastion of tolerance and the arts and insane advanced technology and perfect loving harmony that apparently exists on our world and not some utopian parallel dimension was bad, and the fact that it's literally named Sonia Sotomayor University was worse, and then she's immediately greeted by rapping dancing Latinas and they're from mother loving Leelumultipass Phi Theta Beta sorority and holy poo poo, that's about two magnitudes of terrible worse than I can take.

Also everyone who meets America immediately reads her Wikipedia page out loud to her, it's very weird. Yes thank you we know she's affiliated with the Ultimates and Young Avengers and is a general mutliversal badass, please have everyone stop repeating those facts as their first reaction to meeting her, this is not how you build anyone's character ever.

Someone brought up the Nadia Wasp in another thread (funny panels I think?) which is full of similar nonsense and joy. I feel like America is trying to take a similar tack, but kind of failing. I think part of it is that Nadia herself is weird and exuberant, and therefore the world around her is too. Whereas America isn't, and instead is kind of skeptical and taken aback by the poo poo going on around her, which means as readers we question it too.

I really like the America character (and have since the Young Avengers days) and I think what I liked is that she Gave No Fucks because she wasn't from Around Here, so the emotional beats that involved her felt pretty earned. With this setup though, going to college, wacky supporting cast, etc it does feel more like a sitcom setup. This can work (it's almost word for word the pitch for USG), and the art is gorgeous, but I'm not sure it's a good fit.

Eh, anyway I'll stop dumping on a new comic that does seem to come from a very honest place. It just jumped right out at me how jarring some of the elements were.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lurdiak posted:

While it's pretty dumb to freak out at a comic storyline changing a character as if it was going to be the status quo forever, it's probably pretty unwise and demoralizing to have Captain America be a nazi in the current political climate, especially if he's going to be written by Nick Spencer and give weird moralizing speeches to Tony Stark's corpse about how Hillary Clinton caused Benghazi or whatever that was about.

I surely said it in one of these threads already, but if Nazi Cap gives a weird speech about taking white economic anxiety seriously to the corpse of Tony Stark it probably isn't meant as an endorsement of this talking point. It is probably rather meant as showing a symptom of his Nazi-Hydra brainwashing thanks to Kobik.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Decius posted:

I surely said it in one of these threads already, but if Nazi Cap gives a weird speech about taking white economic anxiety seriously to the corpse of Tony Stark it probably isn't meant as an endorsement of this talking point. It is probably rather meant as showing a symptom of his Nazi-Hydra brainwashing thanks to Kobik.

I'm not inclined to give Nick "White Flight" Spencer that much credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not inclined to give Nick "White Flight" Spencer that much credit.

If I recall local politics it was more gentrification/urban renewal than white flight.

• Locked thread