Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I didn't hate America #1 but it very much reads like a novelist's first attempt at a comic script, and I mean FIRST, like first draft. I'm not sure the editor even looked at it before passing it on to Quinones. It reeks of trying to do what she'd normally take 5 or 6 chapters to do in prose, in 5 or 6 PAGES of comic, basically the opposite of decompression, so nothing gets developed except in the briefest of terms. It's the same feeling I got from TNC's Black Panther, but more pronounced, because he had a very defined context for the character to start with, with the Hickman stuff as a base, and had a better grounding in the MU, wheras Rivera felt like she wasn't confident enough in dealing with all the wider universe stuff, so she ditched it.

I mean, beyond Prodigy existing there, I would have had NO idea the college existed in 616, and there's really no reason it needs to. Hell, there's no reason for the breakup because long-distance is meaningless when you can punch portals across loving dimensions and move nearly faster than light. That smacks of not wanting to deal with a thing Ewing set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there's no reason for this school to be on the 616 on earth.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/LenWein/status/838840492875927552
:pray:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Don't die, Len Wein.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just found out that it's National Cereal Day. Naturally, I went to check on Geoff Johns, but he hasn't posted anything :(

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just found out that it's National Cereal Day. Naturally, I went to check on Geoff Johns, but he hasn't posted anything :(

This is like a religious holiday for a guy like him. He's probably speaking in tongues with weird colored milk in puddles all around him.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Just found out my local comic shop exploded yesterday.

http://www.kwqc.com/content/news/Explosion-causes-heavy-damage-to-Rock-Island-business-415493623.html

http://wqad.com/2017/03/06/emergency-crews-on-scene-at-rock-island-business/amp/

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Should've bought some propane accessories, I tell you hwhat.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Looks like someone's going digital!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

No fatalities... except the Pops :(

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I got a Black Bolt pop from Previews last week, and he is loving adorable. You could slap that costume on anything and I'd love it. Ask me about my Black Bolt socks.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Do they constantly attract particles of dust from the floor?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

No, but my dog sometimes disappears with them like he was Lockjaw.

Found them at Walmart. Had socks for the usual suspects (Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America), and then Black Bolt. It's awesome to think that every Walmart would carry something that only I would ever want.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
John Wagner and Alan Grant wrote a Lobo mini-series called Unamerican Gladiators that served as a sequel to their max-series The Outcasts and had covers by Mike Mignola. DC has never reprinted it or collected it in a trade. DC is a jerk

It also featured my new favorite DC villain, Wolfman Marv.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Holy poo poo, I remember that. It was the one Lobo comic I ever owned.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
This Jessica Jones arc was stupid. Like it started stupid and it's still stupid.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I own Lobo Paramilitary Christmas special and I still love it. I used to own Lobocop as well but I think I lost that one a long time ago.
I would probably pick up any Lobo trade DC would release but clearly they don't want my money.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

I own Lobo Paramilitary Christmas special and I still love it. I used to own Lobocop as well but I think I lost that one a long time ago.
I would probably pick up any Lobo trade DC would release but clearly they don't want my money.

Literally DCs business plan when it comes to older issue accessibility.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

For some reason, writing two midterms today hurt like crazy to do. Like, it felt like my hand was burning while writing, and now I'm worried I'm starting to develop carpal tunnel or something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Roth posted:

For some reason, writing two midterms today hurt like crazy to do. Like, it felt like my hand was burning while writing, and now I'm worried I'm starting to develop carpal tunnel or something.

I had multiple surgeries on my hand while I was in college. Tests were not a good time.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I just spent a week in Orlando with four days in Disney and two days in Universal. As always, the Marvel section of Universal's Island of Adventure fascinates me. Mainly because of the Disney/Marvel deal that happened about ten years after the fact and how everything still coexists.

Also because the Spider-Man ride has the bizarre choice of a Sinister Syndicate line-up where it's Doc Ock, Hobgoblin, Hydroman, Electro and... Scream for some reason. As in the female symbiote character from Venom: Lethal Protector. The lady that looks like Carnage and Medusa had a kid. The villain who appeared in a handful of comics in the early-to-mid-90s along with one video game, then didn't appear again until about 15 years later for the sake of being killed off by Eddie Brock. They must have really been desperate for female representation on the Spider-villains front.

Because of Disney/Marvel, Islands of Adventure has almost completely been unchanged over the last decade. A couple rides got refurbished and they updated the costume for the guy walking around as Cyclops, but the whole place is drowning in 90's superhero art. Meanwhile, not a single reference anywhere to Iron Man because back in 1999, that's how little a poo poo anyone gave about Iron Man. They have a giant billboard-sized cutout of MODOK, but no Iron Man.

Meanwhile, Disney includes a quick clip of Guardians of the Galaxy during the montage at the end of the Great Movie Ride and is currently replacing Disneyland's Tower of Terror with a Guardians ride because that whole franchise became a thing after Universal had any chance to make any claim on it. You can have Gamoras walking around a Disney park but no Captain Americas.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're actually only replacing the Tower of Terror in California because the Universal deal doesn't apply there.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 10, 2017

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Gavok posted:

They have a giant billboard-sized cutout of MODOK

To be fair who wouldn't want that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gavok posted:

I just spent a week in Orlando with four days in Disney and two days in Universal. As always, the Marvel section of Universal's Island of Adventure fascinates me. Mainly because of the Disney/Marvel deal that happened about ten years after the fact and how everything still coexists.

Also because the Spider-Man ride has the bizarre choice of a Sinister Syndicate line-up where it's Doc Ock, Hobgoblin, Hydroman, Electro and... Scream for some reason. As in the female symbiote character from Venom: Lethal Protector. The lady that looks like Carnage and Medusa had a kid. The villain who appeared in a handful of comics in the early-to-mid-90s along with one video game, then didn't appear again until about 15 years later for the sake of being killed off by Eddie Brock. They must have really been desperate for female representation on the Spider-villains front.

Because of Disney/Marvel, Islands of Adventure has almost completely been unchanged over the last decade. A couple rides got refurbished and they updated the costume for the guy walking around as Cyclops, but the whole place is drowning in 90's superhero art. Meanwhile, not a single reference anywhere to Iron Man because back in 1999, that's how little a poo poo anyone gave about Iron Man. They have a giant billboard-sized cutout of MODOK, but no Iron Man.

Meanwhile, Disney includes a quick clip of Guardians of the Galaxy during the montage at the end of the Great Movie Ride and is currently replacing Disneyland's Tower of Terror with a Guardians ride because that whole franchise became a thing after Universal had any chance to make any claim on it. You can have Gamoras walking around a Disney park but no Captain Americas.

Interesting that they wouldn't include Shriek instead for a female villain as she was definitely more memorable in the 90's than Scream.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Aphrodite posted:

They're actually only replacing the Tower of Terror in California because the Universal deal doesn't apply there.
Yeah, Universal has the theme park rights I think literally east of the Mississippi? It's really arbitrarily geography-based, I remember that much. But Disney is barred by contract from doing Marvel poo poo in their own parks because Marvel sold those exclusive rights to Universal (and Universal's giving them up as much as Fox is gonna give back Fantastic Four or the X-Men, and for the same reasons).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've heard it as the east coast, with some even tighter restrictions within 60 miles of the park which of course Disney's stuff falls into.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, Universal has the theme park rights I think literally east of the Mississippi? It's really arbitrarily geography-based, I remember that much. But Disney is barred by contract from doing Marvel poo poo in their own parks because Marvel sold those exclusive rights to Universal (and Universal's giving them up as much as Fox is gonna give back Fantastic Four or the X-Men, and for the same reasons).

Disney is barred from using the Marvel name as well as anyone who's part of the X-Men, Avengers, Fantastic Four and Spider-Man corners of Marvel. And I guess Daredevil too, since there's a Nelson & Murdock sign thrown in there. Guardians of the Galaxy is a special exclusion because the concept, at least as we know it, came to be well after the Universal contract happened. Disney is able to have people dress up as the characters, insert GotG footage into the Great Movie Ride, show sneak previews of the movies and even do a GotG ride itself, but they have to handle it as its own thing. In other words, it's "Guardians of the Galaxy" and not "Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy."

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Thanks for DVDs, Tom King's mum.
https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/839507768356777984

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 10, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gavok posted:

Disney is barred from using the Marvel name as well as anyone who's part of the X-Men, Avengers, Fantastic Four and Spider-Man corners of Marvel. And I guess Daredevil too, since there's a Nelson & Murdock sign thrown in there. Guardians of the Galaxy is a special exclusion because the concept, at least as we know it, came to be well after the Universal contract happened. Disney is able to have people dress up as the characters, insert GotG footage into the Great Movie Ride, show sneak previews of the movies and even do a GotG ride itself, but they have to handle it as its own thing. In other words, it's "Guardians of the Galaxy" and not "Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy."

They do have a store that sells merchandise from those properties in Florida but it has a generic name.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Thank goodness. The Tower of Terror loving rules and all the Twilight Zone references are cool as hell.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Gavok posted:

The Spider-Man ride is also interesting because it's specifically the mid-'90s versions of those characters. Except Hobgoblin, whose wanted poster says "Edward Leeds." Which I found amusing on several levels, because I am a nerd.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I've been hearing Stan Lee had to cancel some appearances because he's sick... :(

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

I've been hearing Stan Lee had to cancel some appearances because he's sick... :(

I love the man and I'll be sad when the inevitable happens, but it's not like he hasn't had a full life.

Here's him dunking on some lovely artists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU&t=3s

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I just saw Stan get interviewed last week at ECCC by Todd MacFarlane and it was the highlight of the show. Stan was sharp and funny and I wish him well, because it will be a sad day when he passes.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I'll never get tired of that video.

Also, I live like, ten minutes from Disneyland and can confirm in California, they have Cap and Thor et al. Hell, I ran a Cap-themed 5k last year.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Apparently James Gunn's shot a pile of all-purpose Stan Lee cameos for future movies to use just in case :/
Hopefully they rethink that and retire the bit when he's not... available any more.

e: Or start using Jim Steranko :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 11, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Steranko still upset that Trump hasn't arrested Hillary Clinton?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

Apparently James Gunn's shot a pile of all-purpose Stan Lee cameos for future movies to use just in case :/

It would be fun if they somehow managed to edit that footage into a full length feature.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not just a just in case thing. Stan had announced his retirement from conventions and appearances and stuff, because the travel was getting to be too much for him. So as part of that they shot a bunch of planned future cameos they can just drop in with green screen.

(Then of course he unretired.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a lot of rumors floating around about how cash poor Stan really is and how he's got a lot of debts he wants to square before he dies. He made some really bad deals over the last 20 years and at one point didn't even have the rights to his own name. So I can understand why he'd unretire. But when we saw him at WW two years back he looked like hell and had to be prompted to do pretty much everything. Then there's that video from SDCC where he was on stage with the Fox film cast and when it was over he kind of wandered around looking confused and Channing Tatum rushed over to walk him off the stage.

• Locked thread