Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
If you can develop a grift/business plan that successfully gets someone else to pay for all of the start-up costs, labor, and lets you draw a salary, then you should definitely do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

You should try camgirling for a year or two to build up capital and research the market. This way you won't lose all your money or kill your cat.

Or go back to grad school if that really is your dream and a requirement for your career.

Otherwise, just get a job in the industry and try to get there through experience rather than a degree.

(The bookstore idea with CC debt, a cat with cancer, and less than 2k in liquid assets ranks #4 out of 4 of these options)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

wtf is wrong with you

1) Assess their current financial state and feasibility of project
2) Present an objectively unreasonable solution
3) Using hyperbole, you explain that this solution is preferable to their current plan
4) By contrasting their plan with an absurd option, you use irony to present a situation that deliberately runs counter to what one would expect actual advice to be
5) The contrast is so extreme that it highlights the lack of feasibility of the original option and potentially uses humor or irony to indirectly critique the reasonability of the original plan
6) The closing statement "The bookstore idea with CC debt, a cat with cancer, and less than 2k in liquid assets ranks #4 out of 4 of these options" serves to highlight the intended message

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 13, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

cis autodrag posted:

It's not humorous to tell a woman seeking financial advice to become a prostitute.

Her plan requires a large capital investment to immediately get off the ground. She has CC debt, a cat with cancer, and no income.

Saying, "Hey, your plan will only work if you become a prostitute for two years or you can attempt to break into the industry through a job with a reliable income and gain experience." is a snarky way of saying that they should get a job in the industry before undertaking this plan that could sabotage their long-term ability to do so.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

cis autodrag posted:

Actually it's super misogynist because you would never make that "joke" toward a male poster.

I actually made that exact same joke to SlowMotion when he described his plan to finance his lifestyle 100% through bonuses that he had yet to earn and had proven that he wouldn't earn over the course of the past year.

His plan was also bad and we found out that he dramatically screwed himself in the long-run by undertaking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

cis autodrag posted:

So then your defense is that you think sex work is funny?

Ouch, don't hurt your back hauling that goalpost all the way over there.

The joke is that black market services (like prostitution) are quick ways to get cash and considered unseemly. SlowMo and the OP both had very ill-thought out plans that would require them to rapidly get cash in the (near certain) event that it failed and presenting a bad scenario as the better option to highlight the badness of the original idea.

But I think you probably knew that!

The people telling her to kill her cat or open the store on a houseboat aren't being serious either.

• Locked thread