Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

This is extremely labrador :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Liquid Chicken posted:

Meanwhile in Westford, Vermont...

DANG they are taking anti-homeless seating too far

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Pretty sure bars just open and close whenever they feel like it in most countries. In fact, isn't the UK more restrictive than most, like they have to close after a certain hour? That's obviously why they have such a binge drinking problem, it's a race against the clock.

In my area of Canada, can't sell alcohol between the hours of 2am and 9am. With the exception of new years where you can keep selling alcohol until 3am.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In my area* you know which streets to avoid because they have bars that will serve alcohol 24/7 to anyone

*not of canada

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

One time I had a beer at an unusual time of day

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i once had a coke before 10am

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Normally Belgium loves regulating everything, but there are no rules for when bars and restaurants are allowed to be open. They can serve people 24/7 if they want, and sell alcohol, as long as they follow labor laws. I live near a college town, bars usually close only when there are no more customers, so every Thursday night pretty much all of them are open all night.

I was joking earlier, but I suspect that this really is part of why Brits have such a reputation for being drunken and violent. They have to (have to!) drink large amounts of beer in a short period of time, and then they're forcibly turned out into the streets with predictable results.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
maybe it's mabeline, or maybe it's methamphetimin

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Phlegmish posted:

I was joking earlier, but I suspect that this really is part of why Brits have such a reputation for being drunken and violent. They have to (have to!) drink large amounts of beer in a short period of time, and then they're forcibly turned out into the streets with predictable results.

It's because they're an accursed people living in an accursed land.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's because they're an accursed people living in an accursed land.

Why not both?🤷

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Phlegmish posted:

Pretty sure bars just open and close whenever they feel like it in most countries. In fact, isn't the UK more restrictive than most, like they have to close after a certain hour? That's obviously why they have such a binge drinking problem, it's a race against the clock.

I think it's ten PM.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Phlegmish posted:

Normally Belgium loves regulating everything, but there are no rules for when bars and restaurants are allowed to be open. They can serve people 24/7 if they want, and sell alcohol, as long as they follow labor laws. I live near a college town, bars usually close only when there are no more customers, so every Thursday night pretty much all of them are open all night.

IIRC session beers were developed as an alternative to full pints so folks on a lunch break can have little a beer as a treat and not be totally sloppy when operating heavy machinery.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Kangaroo Jerk posted:

DANG they are taking anti-homeless seating too far

Yeah I'd have to climb all the way up there to sit on that finger

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

lmfaoing at the image of homeless people just camping out at the top of the poles like nesting ospreys

because it's the only spot left :smith:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Android Apocalypse posted:

IIRC session beers were developed as an alternative to full pints so folks on a lunch break can have little a beer as a treat and not be totally sloppy when operating heavy machinery.

It's sort of the opposite of that: they're for when you're going to be at the bar or another event for a long while socializing and don't want to end up hammered, so you choose a low-alcohol beer and don't drink it too quickly.

I mean, obviously someone who wants a lunch beer without really feeling it after might order that too, just hat "session" refers to more extended drinking sessions at some social gathering. you actually want to remember in the morning.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
In fact "porters" and then "stout porters" were developed for a more satisfying lunch break in a shorter time. For, ya know, porters

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Killer robot posted:

It's sort of the opposite of that: they're for when you're going to be at the bar or another event for a long while socializing and don't want to end up hammered, so you choose a low-alcohol beer and don't drink it too quickly.

I mean, obviously someone who wants a lunch beer without really feeling it after might order that too, just hat "session" refers to more extended drinking sessions at some social gathering. you actually want to remember in the morning.

It's possible to drink all night and never get drunk by just drinking other things. Or do you not have any non-beer options there? "Finish your beer Billy, it will make you grow up big and strong."

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's possible to drink all night and never get drunk by just drinking other things. Or do you not have any non-beer options there? "Finish your beer Billy, it will make you grow up big and strong."
Originally it was 'Finish your beer, or you can have the water. It's flavoured with cholera and dysentry.'

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Data Graham posted:

lmfaoing at the image of homeless people just camping out at the top of the poles like nesting ospreys

because it's the only spot left :smith:

That used to be a viable career option...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stylite

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I posted about it in the PYF Historical Pics threads, and made a thread about it in GBS which a few people enjoyed, but I'll post them here because I think they're funny and interesting and also it was a lot of work to scan them without horrifically damaging the book.

I have a handed-down book, likely from my mom's mom's side of the family, called the Library Of Health from 1916, by B. Frank Scholl. It is 1700+ pages, 20 books in 1 volume, of diseases and their preventatives and cures.

So while a majority of the book is just about diseases, the authors decided that for some reason Book 19 will be dedicated to Jiu-Jitsu, including how-to pictures of various moves you can try against would-be attackers.

It included all these, minus lessons A and B because that page was 90% missing, having been ripped out who knows how long ago. Perhaps the techniques displayed on that page were too powerful.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

There is a bar/restaurant down by the harbor in my city that opens at 6:30 AM. They don’t start serving breakfast until 8. The owner is a retired lobsterwoman, and the place has their own lobster boat. It’s the greatest townie bar in the world. There’s a refrigerator in the dining room, and there are Hoodsie Cups on the dessert menu .

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

RubberLuffy posted:

I posted about it in the PYF Historical Pics threads, and made a thread about it in GBS which a few people enjoyed, but I'll post them here because I think they're funny and interesting and also it was a lot of work to scan them without horrifically damaging the book.

I have a handed-down book, likely from my mom's mom's side of the family, called the Library Of Health from 1916, by B. Frank Scholl. It is 1700+ pages, 20 books in 1 volume, of diseases and their preventatives and cures.

So while a majority of the book is just about diseases, the authors decided that for some reason Book 19 will be dedicated to Jiu-Jitsu, including how-to pictures of various moves you can try against would-be attackers.

It included all these, minus lessons A and B because that page was 90% missing, having been ripped out who knows how long ago. Perhaps the techniques displayed on that page were too powerful.

You need jiu-jitsu to fight off those weasel toons.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RubberLuffy posted:

You know someone ripped out those pages to pin them up at the barn to look at them while training, with whatever the 1920's equivalent of "You're the best" playing on a gramophone.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

shadow-boxing while a crackly victrola of Turkey in the Straw plays in the background

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

dinahmoe posted:

There is a bar/restaurant down by the harbor in my city that opens at 6:30 AM. They don’t start serving breakfast until 8. The owner is a retired lobsterwoman, and the place has their own lobster boat. It’s the greatest townie bar in the world. There’s a refrigerator in the dining room, and there are Hoodsie Cups on the dessert menu .

I read lobsterwoman and got real excited for a second

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

RubberLuffy posted:

Haha, that's great.
Any martial arts fighty people itt? Aside from the obvious difficulties associated with learning JIU-JITSU through squinting at faded lithographs, would these moves actually achieve anything??

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Tree Bucket posted:

Haha, that's great.
Any martial arts fighty people itt? Aside from the obvious difficulties associated with learning JIU-JITSU through squinting at faded lithographs, would these moves actually achieve anything??

A lot of it looks like locks to control someone attacking at you. Pretty sure I've done similar stuff over the years.

I love shirt guy no-selling the attacks. And locking the other dude up with his own jacket.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

davidspackage posted:

I read lobsterwoman and got real excited for a second

she retired :(

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Where is this so I can party there?

Somehow it seems to be both in the UK and the Russian Federation, at the same time.

Amphigory posted:

When I was at uni in Glasgow a few times our first lecture of the day got cancelled and a guy on my course used to take us to a pub he knew that would serve you a pint at 9am, as long as you were also eating

Never been more disappointed than finding out there are loving conditions to getting a pint in Scotland at 9 o'clock. Like if I want a pint at 9 I just go to any bar that's open at 9. Why would they even be open if they didn't sell alcohol :confused: (If I want a pint before 9 I can go to a hotel breakfast.)

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 08:33 on Apr 29, 2024

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Now lives in the refuse sediment pile at the river inlet in the harbor?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Step one: pull your pants waaaaay up over your belly

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/what-was-the-six-oclock-swill

ON THURSDAY, MARCH 26, 1916, you could get a beer in a South Australian bar after dinner. You could get a second, a third, or even a fourth, and sit, nursing your beverage. At 11 p.m. or perhaps half past, the bar would close, and you’d bumble tipsily home. But the next day, South Australians voted in a referendum to force pubs to close each day at six—closing time for the late-night tipple.

Every day, workers rushed to the nearest bar at 5 p.m. Instead of lingering over their beers, as they had once done, they spent an hour crushed up against the bar, spiralling swiftly into crapulence. After 60 minutes of fast-paced, empty-stomach drinking, the ringing of a six o’clock bell announced a “supping-up” time of 15 minutes. Instead of remaining at the pub, people would head home, pickled as newts, and drink beer from “riggers” that they kept in their houses.

In 1962, Caddie Edmonds published an embellished autobiography, Caddie: A Sydney Barmaid, in which she describes the six o’clock swill: “It was a revolting sight and one it took a long time for me to take for granted. The smell of liquor, the smell of human bodies, the warm smell of wine, and on one early occasion even a worse smell, as a man, rather than give up his place at the counter, urinated against the bar.” The end of early closing supposedly signaled the end of this degeneracy.

But 50 years of enforced binge drinking took its toll. Today, Australia and New Zealand have a well-documented culture of alcohol abuse, and remain among the most well-lubricated countries in the western world. In the end, the regulations did exactly the opposite of what they had intended, with consequences that stretched well beyond last call.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

Milk isn't water, it's food. It curdles and turns into like cottage cheese in your stomach. Big guy has more than peeing to worry about.

This explains the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caganer

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

Normally Belgium loves regulating everything
As a Dutch person: lol, lmao even.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Osmosisch posted:

I remember when I once told my Dutch colleague that I went to Belgium for the weekend, his first question was 'how did you like their roads?'.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Osmosisch posted:

It absolutely does, especially these days, and especially the Flemish government. Whether or not people actually follow these rules and regulations is a completely different matter.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

We gotta bring back the word crapulent.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe