Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's when you transform into a warrior of justice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Paladinus posted:

All panel shows are at least 75% scripted. There is some room for improvisation, but not much.

Yeah, *today*. You youngsters are too fresh to remember the wild days of unscripted panel TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5rCInKxSaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Cegid0GjQ

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, please say "once the Queen of England is executed by the English people for being an aristocratic parasite"

Nobody who hosts a foreign king from a country where women aren't allowed to drive and proceeds to scare the poo poo out of him by haul-assing around with him as the passenger in a Land Rover is all bad.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/23/7877243/king-abdullah-queen-drive

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

I'm not completely certain, but I'm pretty sure the basics of the electoral college were already hashed out before the 3/5ths compromise was reached. Basically - we were going to have that regardless or how slave counting impacted it.

And yeah, the reason is that dumb small states wanted outsize power before they'd join the union, instead of actual Democracy.

In the sense that nobody wanted a pure Democracy, this is correct (which is sort of the point behind the whole Constitution in the first place.) Almost nobody whatsoever supported direct popular election of the President; with the notable exception of mainly the Pennsylvania delegation to the Convention. Wilson's direct election proposal was considered radical and dangerous, and even he considered it a longshot. The real debate was between the national legislature electing the President, or having the state legislatures doing it directly or indirectly. A number of states that had already abolished slavery supported EC, some slave states were opposed to it, and opposition to direct popular vote was almost uniform and for reasons other than slavery.

Good article: https://web.archive.org/web/20130524042257/http://lawjournal.rutgers.edu/sites/lawjournal.rutgers.edu/files/issues/02MaltzVol.43.3.pdf

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

http://www.weightlessdog.com/asskicker/asskicker.html

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Rose Hork is a nice shade. Not sure about Homestar Brown though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Listen, dog, you knew I was a duck when you let me climb on board.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

These are kinda cool. Can they blink in weird patterns and stuff?

I think Asian people can blink in the same patterns as everybody else.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

I've mown poop before, it's pretty awful.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

I never thought finding the message "ice is food" on my bag to be mildly strange would turn out to be so controversial.

It is weird. The ice lockers outside the convenience stores here are of a brand that proclaims "Packaged ice is a food!" complete with exclamation point. Turns out that the FDA does indeed regulate packaged ice like it does other foods, but I'm still at an utter loss as to why you'd advertise it as such.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Edit: Nevermind.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

canyoneer posted:

You're right​when you're talking animals, but when you are talking about people it is literally genocide.

No, he's not right. Eugenics, the word, *specifically means* "let's change the makeup of the human population by preventing certain people who we don't like from breeding and encouraging other people who we do like to do more breeding."

It does *not* mean "allele frequencies in a population change with time due to selection pressures." That's what "evolution" means. There are two different words for these two different, but similar things, for a reason. If you use "eugenics" to describe how bacteria acquire antibiotic resistance, you're using the word incorrectly and your lab instructor will look at you funny.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

This is the kind of thing that can only exist in a city because if you live outside of one there is absolutely nothing stopping you and your friends from getting a case of beer and picking a suitable tree and throwing axes at it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

John Big Booty posted:

It's distilled to just under the absolute limit possible--97.2, I think-because after a certain point enough water comes along at ethanol's boiling point (~78c) to make separation impossible. Or at least that's the way it was explained to me.

As you add alcohol to water, the boiling point decreases. Eventually, at 95.6% ethanol/4.4% water, the boiling point of the mixture is lower than the boiling point of each component of the mixture. So at that point, the vapor has the same composition as the liquid and you can' concentrate it any further by boiling it.

You can concentrate further by other methods. You can add another solvent like benzene which lowers the boiling point of the water below that of the ethanol and preferentially boil off the water and benzene. Or you can add a dessicant that will physically absorb the water and then filter that out, or filter it out. But pure alcohol is itself a dessicant and will absorb water vapor from the air until it reaches that same 95.6% concentration, so that stuff's only good for laboratory purposes anyway and you definitely shouldn't drink it unless you like the trace quantities of benzene.

quote:

I wouldn't recommend drinking the poo poo, though. It tastes like burning.

Only if it's lovely. Ethanol's an anaesthetic and it puts the nerve endings in your mouth and throat to sleep briefly, so the only thing it should taste like is numbness. If it tastes like burning the maker did a cheap job and didn't really care about fermenting the mash properly and didn't bother to discard the tail end of the distillation run, so he produced a lot of foul-tasting fusel alcohols and then concentrated them alongside the ethanol.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Goddammit. This article really needs a better picture attached to it, because it has everything else.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...utterknife.html

quote:

An angry dwarf has been jailed after impersonating a Dalek from the TV series Doctor Who which led to him being Tasered twice by the police.

Ian Salter-Bromley, 55, stuck a sucker dart on his forehead and filled his mouth with dominoes before shouting: "Exterminate! Exterminate!" at two carers in his sheltered housing complex in Hull.

Salter-Bromley, who is 4ft tall, had initially been "quite jolly" but his mood changed and he threatened to kill one of the members of staff.

He returned to his flat and barricaded the door after they called the police and he was involved in a stand-off before he had to be Tasered twice, with police worried they would hit his colostomy bag.

The offence was committed during a campaign of public abuse after he defecated in a council office in protest his kitchen work tops had been mounted 8in too high for him to reach.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

When that bookstore actually severed their relationship with the show, the letter they posted shows why satire is dead:

Could have just said "It's too expensive for us to keep doing this." But no, gotta get weird with it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

In all my years I've never seen a more flagrant case of prosecutorial overreach.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I call shenanigans on this because the E.T. VHS had macro encryption so it was almost impossible to record to or dub the tape. It even had a green colored back flap on the VHS itself to visually distinguish itself from other non-copy protected VHS tapes.

Record from, yes, but Macrovision encodes noise into the vertical blanking video. Wouldn't writing to a macrovision-protected tape just record right over that along with the actual data?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Zereth posted:

They lost so badly they lost several other trademarks too. (Because they mishandled the case by unnecessarily bringing those trademarks up.)

Oh god can you please give me a link? Legal schadenfreude is awesome.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Welcome to Philly.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

bandaid.friend posted:

These were two seperate incidents. In one, GW complained to Amazon about an ebook, Spots the Space Marine
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-21380003
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/02/trademark-bully-thwarted-spots-space-marine-back-online

Yeah, that one I'd heard about. It was pretty boring. GW claimed a trademark that they can't actually enforce, EFF put up a fight, GW backed down and never spoke about it again. But that doesn't lose them marks they already have.

quote:

The other incident's more complex and boring. GW took a knockoff model producer to court. Both sides made a bunch of claims. GW won on some stuff and lost on other stuff. I think they made a private agreement. Googling 'GW vs Chapterhouse' returns a hundred blog sites with amateur lawyers declaring victories before the story was finished

That seems more fun. I'll take a look.

quote:

e: The spoiler tag made a whole lot of blank space, is there a way to stop that?

Yeah, don't in-line NSFW images. For workplaces where it's an issue, the problem is the downloading of the image, so sticking the image inline behind a spoiler tag doesn't help in the least because the image is still downloaded and just blanked out on the screen.. Just put up the URL and tag it NSFW.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

That would seem to offer such an enormous advantage that I'm not sure why competitive cyclists don't all go down hills that way.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

David Lynch was also roommates with J. Geils in college. He kicked J. Geils out for being too weird.

Nah, that was Peter Wolf, the lead singer.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

It looks like it's bear-related, but it's not.

http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=1897

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

I'm staying out of Spain and Portugal.

There's a great arbitrage opportunity here, go to Portugal and set yourself up as a travel agent for trips to Slovenia.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Do that, set up Sandwich making workshops in Italy and ship the "Long Pork" sandwiches back to Spain.

I also get the sense that the Netherlands and the Czechs would get along famously if German weren't getting in the way.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

turkey

it's not that hard

That's apparently the problem.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

So when Jesus turned the other cheek, it was so he could reach for his sidearm?

"I come not to bring peace but hot lead, motherfuckers."

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Must be something going around. Jeeze, people, vaccinate your turtles.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

I'll believe apes are tool users when I hear one swear like a sailor because he just dropped the twig-extender down the header pipe.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Anybody here seen my old friend Bobby?
Can you tell me where he's gone?
I thought I saw him walkin' up over the hill
With Lindsey, Joseph, and John

I appreciated this.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Corey Hart died?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Reverse vampire?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

Each block has a NUMBER - the last part of the name is the ward which covers more than just a "block" - and the construction order based numbering means that it can be totally counterintuitive.

Given that so many houses in Japan are considered disposable and get rebuilt every time the property changes hands, doesn't that mean the numbers regularly change and keep counting up indefinitely? Like, if you went clockwise around a block 30 years ago the numbers might have gone 1-2-3-4 but now they go 11-7-12-9?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

areyoucontagious posted:

Buddy, goatse isn't an urban legend.

"Urban legend" doesn't mean "false." There are plenty of true urban legends. If it's talked about in hushed tones around the urban campfire, it's an urban legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Well, now I feel absolutely ovine.

It's not that baaaaaad.