Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Aphrodite posted:

74-75 Capitals, -265.

Here's all of them -100 or worse: http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...er_by=date_game

If there is a question of who is the worst ever, the answer is the 74-75 Capitals. Other than 25 straight without a win, which they did the next season.

Mind_Taker posted:

They should add a "1974-75 Washington Capitals: Worst Team in NHL History" banner to the Verizon Center rafters.

Stanley Can champions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://twitter.com/MonikaPlatek/status/847975803967197189

Please break that microphone and throw it into the stands.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mind_Taker posted:

They should add a "1974-75 Washington Capitals: Worst Team in NHL History" banner to the Verizon Center rafters.

There has to be some sort of buffer for expansion teams. You can't expect to be fully functional year one.

It's like a baby, newborns are dumb as poo poo. one, two years old, still hard to say. If there's no progress by year 3, life becomes a lot more difficult.

You look at the worst seasons ever

1. 74-75 caps, expansion year 1
2. 92-93 sharks, year 2
3. 92-93 senators, year 1
4. 19-20 bulldogs, year 1 and only
5. 75-76 scouts, year 2
6. 80-81 jets, year 1 in the NHL, year 8 overall.
7. 43-44 rangers, year 20something, might deserve a banner, but it was during world war II, maybe an asterisk
8. 72-73 islanders, year 1
9. 89-90 nordiques, Possibly the first legitimately lovely team, but if you give them a banner, you have to hang it in colorado, salt in the wound.
10. 93-94 senators, year 2

Almost every .25 season of the modern area came in the first 3 years of the team entering the league.

The Avs have been around for 20 years.
They've won stanley cups.
They have all-star candidates, and not pity ones like Horvat or Doughty
They have 5 retired numbers.

That's something deserving of a banner.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Are Leafs fans excited about Adam Brooks? I feel like he might be a top 6 forward with the season he's having

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are Leafs fans excited about Adam Brooks? I feel like he might be a top 6 forward with the season he's having

Who

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Arizona pulled off a -102 and Buffalo a -113 just 2 years ago too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

So that's a no.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=160169

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2016/8/25/12637836/adam-brooks-is-better-than-we-think

He's been playing really well since he turned 18 and he's apparently got a really high hockey IQ

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

It's a bizarre sensation to feel better about your team after a regulation loss to Chicago than you did after a game against Carolina where you at least got a point.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Im in hell

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

tofes posted:

Im in hell

This could help a little

https://twitter.com/Canucks/status/848003746839711746

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Hart winner right there, folks.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
the colorado avalanche won a game :siren:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

fits posted:

the colorado avalanche won a game :siren:

against the ....capitals?? :laffo:

They played the Blues.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Stretch Marx posted:

They played the Blues.

yeah thats my mistake, the caps are busy losing 5-2 to the yotes

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

tofes posted:

Im in hell

If it makes you feel better, your next two games are against the Canucks. Surely even the Sharks can beat up the Canucks...right?

e: Preds are the only Western Conference team who won't clinch a playoff spot in March. That sure is a thing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

20 games ago sharks? maybe.

It would be hilarious to see them drop into the 2nd wildcard and end up against the hawks in the first round. We'll take St Louis on our side of the bracket, they can't even score against the Avalanche.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kilza posted:

If it makes you feel better, your next two games are against the Canucks. Surely even the Sharks can beat up the Canucks...right?

e: Preds are the only Western Conference team who won't clinch a playoff spot in March. That sure is a thing.

Dont the Preds clinch if LA loses in regulation tonight?

e: nope, worst case for Nashville they tie and it comes to ROW which cant be decided yet.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Furnaceface posted:

Dont the Preds clinch if LA loses in regulation tonight?

e: nope, worst case for Nashville they tie and it comes to ROW which cant be decided yet.

an la regulation loss means preds clinch with a single point or la failing to win out with at least three row wins, but its only a 99.9% clinch if they lose tonight.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Flames in those playoffs, son! Hooray!

I mean, we're likely looking at 1st round exit, but still. There are reasons to be excited even if that happens.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Karlsson's gonna miss the Sens next game too. With him and Methot out, I'm starting to get a bit concerned about the Sens playoff position.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I mean, we're likely looking at 1st round exit, but still. There are reasons to be excited even if that happens.

They will face either the Oilers or Ducks, which I can honestly see them winning a series against if their goaltending can hold up. I doubt they slide to WC2 and thus get to avoid facing any Central teams.

e: I guess if SJ stops making GBS threads itself down the stretch they could be a potential opponent, which I could see giving the Flames a much harder time.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

fits posted:

yeah thats my mistake, the caps are busy losing 5-2 to the yotes

Which is also funny.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

bub spank posted:

Karlsson's gonna miss the Sens next game too. With him and Methot out, I'm starting to get a bit concerned about the Sens playoff position.

The Sens desperately needed to get more points out of the Habs.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Sheary-Crosby-Guentzel owns owns owns. I wish they could stay healthy because that line is almost Sedin like in how they interact with each other.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

They will face either the Oilers or Ducks, which I can honestly see them winning a series against if their goaltending can hold up. I doubt they slide to WC2 and thus get to avoid facing any Central teams.

e: I guess if SJ stops making GBS threads itself down the stretch they could be a potential opponent, which I could see giving the Flames a much harder time.

The problem with this line of thinking is that Anaheim would have home ice advantage against the Flames (barring something weird happening), and given that the Flames have not won in Anaheim in 11 years (including playoffs) they'd be in tough to try and take home ice advantage away from the Ducks.

For the Oilers, the Oilers swept the season series and did so while lighting up the Flames goaltending. Granted, the last game was in January, but I have more confidence in Talbot being able to provide better goaltending than Elliott over a 7 game series, as well as the fact the Oilers have arguably the best line in the NHL in Maroon-McDavid-Draisaitl and the Flames would be in tough to try and stop it.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I feel like the Oilers playoff inexperience is going to be the biggest thing both for and against them. Its going to be interesting to see how things go in the Pacific.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Since the Penguins just won the Cup I really don't care about this season but it would be nice if the Eastern Conference first round bloodbath convinces the NHL to change their stupid loving playoff format

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

Hire Therrien

you're therrien me apart, ken

im honestly not sure what this pun is supposed to mean

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kilza posted:

The problem with this line of thinking is that Anaheim would have home ice advantage against the Flames (barring something weird happening), and given that the Flames have not won in Anaheim in 11 years (including playoffs) they'd be in tough to try and take home ice advantage away from the Ducks.

Cubs won the World Series, Oilers are in the playoffs, Redwings out. Streaks and droughts are ending.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Sheary-Crosby-Guentzel owns owns owns. I wish they could stay healthy because that line is almost Sedin like in how they interact with each other.

Seriously this. Sid has never meshed as well with another line as he has with this one. It's like they've all got tiny-but-super-skilled-hockey-guy telepathy.

Also Sid is doing stuff like this which I think is the 3rd or 4th time he's scored from behind the goal line
https://twitter.com/myregularface/status/847969522623672322

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 1, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's a bizarre sensation to feel better about your team after a regulation loss to Chicago than you did after a game against Carolina where you at least got a point.

tofes posted:

Im in hell

Powershift posted:

20 games ago sharks? maybe.

It would be hilarious to see them drop into the 2nd wildcard and end up against the hawks in the first round. We'll take St Louis on our side of the bracket, they can't even score against the Avalanche.

bub spank posted:

Furnaceface posted:

I feel like the Oilers playoff inexperience is going to be the biggest thing both for and against them. Its going to be interesting to see how things go in the Pacific.

NHL N/V April:All Our Playoff Teams Are Getting Bounced In The First Round.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

So that's a no.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2016/8/25/12637836/adam-brooks-is-better-than-we-think

He's been playing really well since he turned 18 and he's apparently got a really high hockey IQ

We actually have a few prospects that project about the same: Bracco, Timashov, Brooks, Johnnson and Leipsic all kind of fit the mould of smallish forwards that have scored a lot at the lower levels but aren't blue chippers. Our forward roster right now looks pretty stable: Leo, Bozak, and JVR are the only forwards nearing UFA status but Bozak's the only spot where an internal replacement is ready so we could easily see at least one of the other 2 re-signing for 3+years. There's just not enough room for all the depth forward prospects so I wouldn't get too attached to any of them (and this extends to guys like Leivo and Brown as well).

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

bub spank posted:

Is there another position other than first round exit?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

So that's a no.

Lol. A player still playing junior hockey at age 20 is not going to be an top 6 NHL forward.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I think a big reason there isn't more hype about Brooks is because he was drafted as an overager and is still playing in junior as a 20 year old. I think he might have been eligible for the AHL this year, so his performance is being seen with a grain of salt. It's great that he's dominating down there, but at his age he has to be to still be considered a decent prospect.

imo Brown and Liepsic are a level above Johnsson, Timashov, Brooks, and Bracco right now. They both have a level of success as pros that hasn't been matched by the rest of the pack, there's still a chance some of the others wash out completely.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Let me provide a list of current top 6 NHL players that played their overage year in junior hockey:

Not too mention he plays on a stacked team on a line with Sam Steele, who is far and away the best forward in the Dub and probably all of junior hockey

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Also he has no discernible NHL-level talents as far as I can tell

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I mean it's not likely but you see it occasionally: Hoffman, Tyler Johnson, Callahan, Burrows, there are probably some others I'm missing.

e: Chad LaRose was a middle six guy who had a good career. Kevin Labanc is playing for the Sharks this year doing well. Blandisi is playing for the Devils and has a shot at being a middle six guy.

Troy Brouwer, David Desharnais too.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 1, 2017

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Mind_Taker posted:

Their wiki page from that season has this hilarious entry.

wikipedia posted:

The Capitals had an appalling first season and did not qualify for the playoffs. They had the worst points percentage all-time in NHL post expansion history with a 0.131 win percentage average. In addition, they had the worst road record in NHL history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

marioinblack posted:

Their wiki page from that season has this hilarious entry.

It's one thing for a team to suck in their first year. That's sort of expected, but the fans know it's teething issues (usually).

It's another when you won the cup in the last 20 years and you're dead last in the league.

I'm looking at you, Colorado.

• Locked thread