Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Intent doesn't matter only result.

Hockey play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Citizen Tayne posted:

FYI I'm a loving nobody and my work perks involve free tickets and using the entrance the players use. Despite me being a nobody, Sid has remembered my name over three seasons. Very cool of him.

I bet you've never tried the whole pull my finger trick with him

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

how in the hell does that even happen through a glove? I've...never seen that before.

also just close your eyes for a second and imagine if methot had chopped off crosby's finger

It'd be deemed accidental just like when Steckel scrambled Crosby's brains.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

I accidentally chopped his hand on purpose officer Commissioner.

pffft like Crosby will even have to talk to the DOPS

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

It's getting damned hard for Eugene to keep his playersprofits healthy with thugs like Crosby and the Olympics roaming around

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

whatis posted:

crosby purposely hit someone in the nuts and chopped off someone's finger over the course of two games.

hot take: it's ok. it's actually fine

Marchand slew footed a guy then scored a hat trick against the Pens the next game so I figure we're even on this one okay

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

.Spec posted:

The coolest part of the Melnyk rant is that it's not his first one railing against someone on the Penguins. I seem to remember him ranting endlessly after someone (Cooke maybe) sliced through Karlsson's achillies on accident a few years ago.

He said he was gonna do an investigation iirc.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

McDavid has more assists so he should win the Hart because that makes him a better team player.

It's kinda ironic that Crosby is gonna lose the Art Ross due to Mcdavid racking up a ton of secondaries which is the same thing I remember Ovechkin fans being irritated about with Crosby years ago

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Spring Break My Heart posted:

He hasn't really racked up secondary assists. He has 38 Primary Assists to 23 Secondary, which is a healthy ratio. He's first in primary assists and 5th in secondary assists.

But yeah, secondary assists has always been a dumb argument.

Yeah and I think Sid was consistently #1 in primary assists too but all people ever bitched about was the secondaries. Thing is when you get a ton of assists because you own you tend to get a lot of both kinds.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

Reminder that Sid got hosed into a tie for the Richard because of Stamkos piling up empty netters

That was kinda cool because someone told Sid that Stamkos had tied him on the bench and then his next shift he took the puck and did like two full loops in the Islanders' zone trying to score.

This year it looks like he may finally stand alone with it although Kucherov and Marchand are still close enough that it's not a sure thing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Wow the guy who maimed a fellow hockey player wants everyone to stop talking about it? Big surprise!

Actually he also said this:

quote:

“It’s a pretty common play,” he said. “I’d love to see it cracked down. It’s something that happens a lot. You don’t like to see guys get hurt. Obviously he’s an example that if you get it in the wrong spot, it can hurt. I hope he’s back soon.”

Though I'm guessing he's not unhappy he didn't get suspended for it

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

glynnenstein posted:

I agree but I think both Crosby and McDavid also have stronger cheerleaders than Ovie or Tavares had.

Well on SAS at least there's a fairly large contingent of scumPens fans. And sas has always liked Ovechkin more because his flaw is the occasional dirty hit whereas Sid's flaws include whining, slewfooting, slashing, being marketed by the league, and winning cups.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

The Penguins only chance is to face Washington in the first round since that's a guaranteed victory no matter the circumstances. That could buy enough time for their other players to get healthy enough for a deep run. Columbus has a much better chance of beating Pittsburgh.

I think most of their injured players would probably be playing right now were it the playoffs with the exception of Letang who is out with a mystery ailment and Hagelin who is in a walking boot.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It'd be cool if the Pittsburgh Penguins would stop dying every game. Watching Sid and Wilksbarre is getting a little old.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Citizen Tayne posted:

The Pens are the hockey equivalent of the St. Louis Cardinals, when someone goes down they just take another Terminator off the shelf from Wilkes-Barre and plug it in. It even worked for the coach.

I guess that makes Sheary the T-1000 and Carter Rowney the T-800.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't mind the Jackets other than Dubinsky. I wouldn't consider them much of a rival for the Pens yet though. It's a bit of a one sided rivalry until the Jackets beat the Pens in a playoff series (which will probably happen this year).

We hate the poo poo out of the Flyers because they've owned the Pens for years and years even ignoring the cross state rivalry aspect of it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

I think as of last night, the flyers have only lost like 2, maybe 3 games in the Pens new arena. It's the damndest thing.

Reminder that from 1974 to 1989 the Pens went 0-39-3 at the Spectrum.

There have been a few lulls where the Pens have gotten the better of the Flyers but by and large poo poo like the 2012 series is just how its gone. And Crosby has probably only exacerbated it because Flyers fan hate him far more than they ever hated Lemieux or Jagr. If Crosby got cancer and came back to play in a game now he'd probably still get booed unlike Lemieux who somehow got an ovation in Philly.

e: Maf has been named the Pens Masterton candidate, I guess for putting up with the trying circumstance of being usurped by a goalie who is better than him in every way despite being given every chance to win back his starter job.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 27, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Turris played in Arizona but had mental health issues that they couldn't or wouldn't address. Even still, saying that either was a bad use of a draft pick is kind of stupid given the circumstances.

Wasn't Turris seen as a bit off the board at the time of that pick? Or maybe I'm just conflating Wayne Gretzky way overhyping him with that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Why the hell was Turris playing in the BCHL anyways? Given his numbers looks like he should have been in major junior.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Gunjin posted:

We call that "The Orpik".

He did that so many times on the Pens.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

JoelJoel posted:

And did I miss the buyout announcement or are they just all ignoring Murray?

I guess they're operating under the assumption that the Penguins won't be complete fools

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

TeamJesus posted:

Pierre LeBrun and Joe McDonald have Vegas winding up with Ferland from the Flames?

He'll be protected. He's become a perfect fit on the top line with Gaudreau and Monahan. The Flames have been really high on him for years and it's paying off.

Brouwer/Stajan/Bouma are the likely bets on F.

One of them had Dumoulin being exposed as well and I sincerely doubt that happens. The Pens will most likely go the one goalie/eight skaters route.

Forwards: Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hornqvist
D: Letang, Dumoulin, Maatta, Schultz

G: Murray (Maf = agrees to waive his NTC and get exposed for Vegas or is bought out/traded elsewhere ahead of time)

That would leave Rust/Hagelin as exposed forwards that Vegas might be interested in (Sheary/Guentzel are exempt thankfully). Ian Cole would be the best dman the Pens would leave exposed in this scenario.

I doubt the Pens go 7 & 3. They're hurting for good dmen as it is and they aren't gonna give up a reliable minutes eater like Dumoulin and they certainly won't give up Maatta or Schultz for nothing.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 28, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Also amusing is Edmonton and San Jose having clinched with 93 points with 6-7 games remaining. West is a piece of poo poo.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

How many points do you think the ninth place team in the east will end up with?

Probably 90-92 points. LA would need to go 7-0 just to get to 91. Tampa can hit 90 by going 3-3-1 which seems fairly realistic.

Anyways it's not that 93 points is a terrible number to make the playoffs it's just hilarious they've clinched so early with a relatively mediocre point total.

Mind_Taker posted:

Earlier in the year I was 100% in favor of letting Oshie walk this offseason but now I'm not so sure. Yeah he's shooting 24% but he shot 14% last season and still scored 26 goals and the Capitals don't really have someone who can step in and take his spot.

I dunno maybe MacLellan can fleece another GM in a trade to get a top-line RW this offseason.

Please get rid of him that fucker always scores on the Pens

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Methot took Dupuis' legs, so Crosby took his finger

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
You guys must have a bad memory then because early career Crosby did a fair amount of slashing and slew footing back then too. He's always been edgy.

Just about the only dirty poo poo he doesn't do is board people because he never really hits at all. That's Ovechkin's portfolio.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 29, 2017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

A Typical Goon posted:

What player was Sestito protecting from 5'9 Toby Enstrom when he boarded the gently caress out of him and gave him a concussion?

That wasn't protection, that was revenge for Schultz.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Citizen Tayne posted:

I love Sidney Crosby.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Deltron 3030 posted:

Penguins tanking to try to "catch" the Rangers for 1st Wildcard?

Go-go Gadget ridiculous seeding.

No one in the Atlantic has even clinched yet...

Don't have to try very hard with the lineup we're running currently.

Missing Hagelin, Letang, Malkin, Maatta, Daley, Guentzel, Hainsey. I don't know if there is a team out there that could deal with that and keep winning. For the Hawks that'd be like no Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Panik, Anisimov. Imagine the gongshow that game looks like last night if the Pens are healthy but the Hawks are missing those players. Be pretty much what it was but reversed.

Even if the Pens don't win another game though the Rangers have to go at least like 3-1-1 to overtake them. And as banged up as the Pens are they'll probably find a way to squeak out a win or two more. They're not finishing fourth.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

*Tanner Glass inserted on the 1st line*

*Maf inserted into the goal*

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
At what point are the Bruins not getting unlucky and are just poo poo finishers. Aren't they like LA in the top of CF like every year but always struggle to score goals?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hire Therrien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Sheary-Crosby-Guentzel owns owns owns. I wish they could stay healthy because that line is almost Sedin like in how they interact with each other.

• Locked thread