Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Aphrodite posted:

I heard it's free dog whistle night at the Bell Center.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Fire Bergevin into the sun.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

JoelJoel posted:

Also, goalies get such great returns. Hell, he might even fetch a conditional 3rd if the bidding war really gets out if hand.

Yeah a place like Dallas couldn't use a young goaltender that just won the Stanley Cup.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

My city continues to inspire. :negative:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Ginette Reno posted:

You didn't post the best part:

For some reason when I see those all I can think about is that McDonalds Pizza from when I was a kid.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
N: Marchenko scores his first goal of the season on Detroit.

V: :nsacloud:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

grack posted:

Tie up Emelin, dress him in a Bruins' jersey, leave him on Rue St. Laurent and let nature take it's course. Secondary option, dress him as a cop car.

If we're talking about Quebec the better option would be to put a hijab on him.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
N: Leafs back in the wild card for now.

V: :toot:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Hand Knit posted:

It's five games without a point now, right? Yeah, it would be understandable if he was gassed now especially since he didn't even play the full Swiss season last year.

It's hard to think about it this way at this stage of the race, but the playoffs really are a luxury this year. The focus should already be on figuring out where to improve for next year. And, to that end, hopefully this stretch is making a couple things clear: Whatever role they want Polak and Hunwick to fill, they need much better players for it; and even if all the kids improve they probably have to upgrade on either Komarov or Hyman.

I can see Komarov being replaced before Hyman simply because of Babcock.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Hand Knit posted:

If he were really doing that, I'd think he would get more assists. Like, I get that he's theoretically there to handle the defensive load, but I think that the Leafs can fill that role with a player who does the same stuff but better.

Personally this is what I think the forward lines should be this:

Brown - Matthews - Nylander

JVR - Kadri - Marner

Komarov - Bozak - Soshnikov

Martin - Boyle - Hyman

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Hand Knit posted:

A couple thoughts:

Bozak and JVR together is good inasmuch as both are trash defensively and would do best where they could be very sheltered. Kadri's also doing incredibly well right now while handling the toughs, and while I'm not against putting Marner with him, putting him with JVR would be at cross-purposes.

I like Soshnikov on the fourth line, inasmuch as it's a way to give the fourth line just enough offence that opposing teams cannot take them for granted. A Martin-Boyle-Hyman line could get a five minute powerplay and not score.

But Soshnikov isn't really able to generate any offence on that line because he's constantly pulling boat anchors up the ice with him. He drives position like a mofo but he's always alone when he needs someone to pass to or be open for. I think Komarov could be just enough to get some scoring out of him. Bozak is on that line because they need a centre. I'd hope we could find someone before that becomes an issue.

Also I don't see the point in putting two forwards who can't play defense on a line together. This way you're mitigating their lovely defensive play by pairing them with players who can play defensively and offensively. I think last year demonstrated that Kadri and JVR together can do some fun things and clearly Marner is able to contribute and play defensively with all his stolen pucks, which Kadri is also good at.

Which leaves the last line which is clearly a "rope a dope" line. They're good at the pk and have shown they can tie up guys fairly well. They don't have to score goals, they just need to give the people with actual talent time to rest.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Needs a waffle flying by

Yeah one really long spaghetti noodle.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Rivalries add nothing to the game. That is my hottest of takes.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

iospace posted:

Would you rather go to a game against the Senators or would you rather go to a game against the Sharks, assuming everything else is the same?

Definitely the Sharks. If I was a Rags or Isles fan I wouldn't like the Devils. Not because of some sort of rivalry; but because the loving Devils are boring as gently caress to watch. I don't care who the team is playing as long as the game is fun to watch. The only possible rivalries that are ever worth it come from two teams being both really good and being evenly matched. Forced rivalries by location are always disappointing because generally one team is better than the other.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

eXXon posted:

Leivo could easily take Hyman's spot, even on LW. Hyman's already a RW playing on his off wing so why not give him a shot? Move Hyman to 4th line RW where he belongs and sit Soshnikov for a bit.

Sosh is better than Hyman. If you're going to sit anyone it should be Hyman.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Aye Doc posted:

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/842770481031843840

what a Dick. look at this Bad attitude. how could a player like this ever represent the legendary Habs fanbase?

The Habs can totally trade this disrespectful player to the Leafs for the totally respectful Matt Hunwick.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Well considering the last two poaches they did from the KHL I'm holding faith that this guy is also good.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

A Typical Goon posted:

Is Zaitsev good though?

I think he is. He's clearly more of a defensive dman and I don't expect him in any game to score. But he's been super reliable at keep people to the outside and if someone gets by him he's capable of skating back. He's also shown to be able to carry a lot of minutes when needed. He's not amazing and has the odd brain fart but I like his ability to properly box people out to help Andersen because it's pretty obvious that if Andersen doesn't see the puck it will ping pong through him some how.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Melnyk looks like a house elf that struck it rich in the sock business.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Chad Sexington posted:

I'm down. What's a potential jinx next to a debilitating curse?

Well he said the Penguins were going to win the Cup and then Trump got elected. Are you willing to make that gamble?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

yellowcar posted:

Maybe it'll undo his presidency.

We both know that isn't how the Universe works. There is always more and it's always worse.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Can you handle these HIGH EVENTS?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Schlesische posted:

For the record, this isn't a "I HATE THE LEAFS BECAUSE THEY ARE TORONTO AND I HATE TORONTO", and - as noted the last time this came up - I don't read the Montreal Gazette and it's brethren, passing it over in favour of TSN, SN and the NHL website (the latter of which likes large market teams and superstars, fancy that).

Every sport has that team who eventually does well enough to the point where you're going to see a bandwagon the size of the moon ("They've been my second team this whole time, I swear" and reporters who usually seem pretty non-biased come out of the woodwork to fellate their team (and reporters who are biased to other teams will usually hop in on the love-in). And when it falls apart the media is going to hellfire and brimstone it down to try and reclaim their "unbiased values". Either way, this massive love-fest and bad poetry recital ends up generating a ridiculous and insulting amount of noise for the team that does it.

It's rarely the most successful teams because they tend to generate their own horrible, incestuous, shitfest of a media culture (see: Canadiens, Montreal; Yankees, New York; et al)

Hell, the Oilers are having a breakout year, but by comparison to all the "MATTHEWS FOR CALDER" and "LEAFS CAN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IF..." talk, they're a loving submarine. Same for the storylines on the Flames and Islanders (who recovered from impressively bad starts), Wild and Blue Jackets (who seem to finally be overachieving/delivering on all that promise after years of underachievement and disappointment).

But have considered that you can learn how to stop worrying and love the Leaf?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I like my dumb gay team that are fun to watch. After the cess pool of the last decade I don't care. It's fun to be excited for the team again even if they do poo poo the bed in the first round. No one with a soul could not like Mitch Marner. Stop hating fun.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

yellowcar posted:

no truck nuts

6/10

You should at least give him a 7 for a the sugar skull.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I didn't get to watch the game but all I can say is

:bisonyes:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Suspicious posted:

Describe your team's offense with 1 emoticon. I'll start.

Habs - :flaccid:

Leafs - :frogsiren:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

ThinkTank posted:

Judging by the blood, I'd say he got a fair bit outta Methot's hand.

He literally cut off a finger tip that was hanging by skin. It should honestly be a suspension. If you're swinging your stick hard enough to cut someone's figure off under their glove then maybe you need time out.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I dunno. I don't care how many chops to people's hands are considered common. The fact that he chopped a finger off is a bit much for me. If boarding, slew footing, elbows to the head, and hurdling can be worth a game or two putting a player out of commission for the rest of the season because you just had to chop that guy's hands (just gotta!) then you should be suspended. Doesn't matter who you are or what team you're on.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Sid Vicious

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Whoever ends up in WC2 is going to be so beat up.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Koopa Kid posted:

N: Kasperi Kapanen was called up

V: that's good

N: he's skating on the fourth line and Ben Smith got moved up

V: that's bad

N: Andersen started practice

V: that's good

N: he left early and the nets belong to Curtis McElhinney and Garrett Sparks

V: that's bad

I thought Sparks got sent to the netherrealm.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Vegas is more than welcome to take Polak, Martin, or Hunwick. I insist.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
N: Leafs maintain hold of 3rd in the Atlantic and Matthews passed Clark for most goals by a Leafs rookie

V: :toot:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
If you go to TSN.ca there's a video of an interview with Matthews asking him about beating Clark's record. At the 10 second mark you can hear his voice crack on camera. Hockey robot becoming a hockey man robot and I love him.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

xzzy posted:

Spotted on reddit:

Goddamn Avs, at least pretend to try. If you aren't gonna play for the team at least play for yourself, try to put on a show so you have a job next season.

But which guy scored?

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
He's usually either pairing with Rielly or Gardiner and has been very good at shutting down people. He's 25 turning 26 so I'm not sure I like the 7 year part. But then again, it's Toronto and they can probably buy him out later if need be.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Leafs win and Matthews is just a few goals away from catching Marchand for 2/3rd.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
So the Canes agreed with Smallman, the Captain of the Junior team here, to a 3 year entry deal. I hope he runs with it. He's got a wicked shot and has been very reliable the last few seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

fits posted:

the colorado avalanche won a game :siren:

against the ....capitals?? :laffo:

They played the Blues.

• Locked thread