Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

God drat. :stare:

https://twitter.com/NHLonNBCSports/status/837132162428100609

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It was a "rivalry" because they're both recent cup champions I guess.

And yes it was a pretty badass game. Only one penalty the whole game.. that's the way it should be. Just let the skill guys go at it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pretty much, "wednesday night rivalry" is just the branding. The actual product is airing whatever game is going on that night that will produce the most viewers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To be fair clamping your arm on an opponent's stick is a dick move.

But it's not an issue if you keep your stick on the goddamn ice.

But it's Duncan Keith, he can apparently get away with murder with nothing but a slap on the wrist. Either he has dirt on the refs or he sends them chocolates every holiday.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I hope PK scores a goal, because Montreal will cheer for him, and I will begrudgingly admit that Habs fans can be kind of ok

I hope he scores a touchdown worth of goals and drill into the minds of canadiens management how bad they hosed up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Xtanstic posted:

same

and then celebrates flamboyantly and disrespects the entire hab management

(except for Kirk Muller he's cool)

Skates in on Price and does the triple low five.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I propose we call this the hatcheck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Send the Sedins to the NHL retirement home (Panthers).

Then they can chill with their boy Lu again too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't need to make nets bigger anyways. Do something decisive about goalie pads first.

And I don't buy the "we need them like this for protection" argument. Materials science is loving bonkers these days and it has to be possible to use carbon fiber and gels and other fancy poo poo to guarantee the goalie never ever feels a puck hitting him.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DOOMocrat posted:

Distributing force is not that easy, even for modern materials.

Pucks aren't THAT fast. I've taken some decent slappers off my shin guards and felt nothing. No that does not equate to NHL experience but it's not like pucks are hitting supersonic speeds.

The hard part is the joints and seams, but I would think a species that can send humans to the moon could figure something out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or don't allow skaters to wear shin guards anymore.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also powerups. Hockey needs rocket league style boost collection points.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Remove trapezoid, remove icing. Goalie must be first player to touch the puck on an icing and must make a forward pass that goes beyond the blue line.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I chose to shoot left because, being in the US, during stick clearance sales I get all the best deals.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about this: eliminate goalies entirely. But the twist is you make the goal a circle of metal and suspend it ten feet over the ice surface. Put a hole in the net so the puck falls out and you won't even have to stop play!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

There hasn't been a full season without a 40 goal scorer since 1962/63 which was 70 games long. This is Dead Puck 2 and it sucks.

But the goals per game is pretty much unchanged for the last 10 years (change from season to season is generally a couple hundredths of a point) so that just means the points are being spread among more players.. which is actually cool and good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fits posted:

dehumanize yourself and face to parity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8I9pYCl9AQ

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

Why? I couldn't care less that Brian Gionta is on pace for 16 goals instead of 12 this year. This is the entertainment business. I want to see the best guys getting 50 goals and 100pts. There won't be either this year. I want to see players pushing each other for the scoring lead late in the season with constant big nights. Crosby has 3 points? Well, Ovie just bettered that with a hattrick and two assists.

Why has it become in vogue among hockey fans to say "there's nothing wrong with the sport and if you disagree you don't appreciate it right?" There have been three 50 goal seasons and two 100 point seasons in the last five years. Why are we all supposed to pretend that the Art Ross winner barely scraping 90 points is fun? It's not.

:jerkbag:

I was part of the "goalies stop too many pucks" vanguard a week or so ago. Chill out grumpybutt.

Regardless, I find the game more fun to watch when all four lines are a scoring threat. The star players still tend to dominate the top scorer lists so I'm not sure why someone not hitting some arbitrary number means things are broken. What if the completely meaningless milepost was 25 goals instead? Then lots of players would be having great seasons!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cleaning up some crux on an old hard drive, saw this.

http://i.imgur.com/vFUy5Yh.gifv

I think it deserved more attention than it got.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockey is the litmus test for a relationship, if he/she encourages you to enjoy the game then they're a keeper. If they're in the "ughhhh how can you watch that stuff" camp then you gotta rethink things.

That's your life advice for the day!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

be careful. My wife was this exact same way and then wanted to watch it all the time and started to think she was an expert and it turned into having to listen to lovely hockey opinions during every game. The bloom came off that rose fast.

I ask my wife for "coaching advice" because it's hilarious. She's had hockey on TV her whole life (lots of canadian family) so she understands the game and it's one of our running jokes.. she always spouts off some stereotypical hockey coach babble like "need more hustle" or "get more pucks on net."

Spouses that like hockey are the best.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

I was at work and missed the game, what happened? :ohdear:

Nothing dirty, looked like his left knee or maybe ankle got tweaked in routine board contact. They had to scrape him up off the ice and he was putting zero weight on it though.

I'm more concerned about Crawford taking a Weber clapper off his cage. Knocked him on his rear end.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Weber SMASH

https://streamable.com/c96ie

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

What's Hjalmarsson so upset about?

Probably mad at Crawford for going down like a sack of flour.

When toftbo eats a puck he finishes the shift and probably blocks four more shots on his way to the bench.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This is a pro fuckin read. Hard to believe it was 20 years ago. What an incredible rivalry.

And now all we get is faux rivalries manufactured by NBC talking heads. Two teams match up in the playoffs? RIVALRY!!! Two teams had a rivalry 40 years ago? RIVALRY!! Someone said something on twitter? RIVALRY!!

Hockey's certainly in a better place with the improved regulation on hits in terms of keeping players healthy, but boy has it marked the end of an era.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spring Break My Heart posted:

What a worthless post.

You said something mean.. that's a RIVALRY!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wilford Cutlery posted:

As far as the 'rivalry' thing goes, my pet theory is that the NHL is trying to be like the NFL and influence team scheduling via TV. If they hype up Wednesday Night Rivalry enough maybe teams that are actual rivals will be scheduled to play those games.

That's exactly what they do. NBC and Rogers are intimately involved with developing the season schedule because they want teams that pull in good ratings playing at specific times. They also try to stack second or third options into the same slot to give them opportunity to air a different game if they think there's a "storyline" worth covering.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That actually owns and I think every state should have a trophy that all professional teams in that state compete for.. whoever has the best regular season (by percentage of wins) in a calendar year gets the trophy. Winning a championship is the golden snitch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JoelJoel posted:

gently caress the wild.

What the hell is a "wild" anyways.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good Canadian Boy posted:

This video is fun. It's kinda nice that they're buddies even though they're fighting.

One of them mentioned on twitter a bit later that they'd never met before.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HookShot posted:

Can you nominate people for oscars online?

Also cool, thanks!

And the award for "most convincing extra portraying a spectator at a sporting event goes to.."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wife and I cut the cord.. is there a legal option for streaming playoffs this year in the US?

As far as I know, the nbcsports website requires one to log in with a cable company account to be able to stream through there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Make all hockey 3v3, power plays give you a 4v3. Double number of teams in the league to give a home to all the now unemployed skaters.

(then watch GM's ruin it by lobbying for smaller rinks so they can cram more seats in)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If ties or the shootout is an unforgivable sin, just do what they do in the playoffs. OT lasts until someone scores and no points are handed out until then.

Don't like long games? Score better, scrub. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because Crosby asks permission first and Kane takes what he wants.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do Crosby's forearms look like Popeye's?

Because I think they'd need to be to get that much velocity with a move like that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Carver posted:

I never really see that many players help control/defend the puck with their free arm like Crosby, I guess it's harder than it looks?

Well imagine digging a hole with a shovel in one hand. You can do it, but your agility and strength is going to suck.

Crosby's good enough to make it work anyways.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Further proof that all you need to get away with murder is be a star player.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah, it's going to be a Columbus Chicago finals and we all know what that means.. an entire summer arguing about who's better, Toews or Crosby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah but we don't understand the specifics of the process. Does credit go to the first person who announces it in a season, and their team gets the championship?

• Locked thread