Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Alberta is gonna have 2 teams in the playoffs. :kingsley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Flames jump to 2nd in the pacific with 9 wins in a row. what a wacky world.

Oilers down to the wildcard, but with a game in hand could and only 1 point down could leapfrog back to second putting the battle of alberta back into round 1. With 15 games left, they could go 9-3-3 for their first 100 point season since gretsky. Just need a couple 6 million dollar players to wake the gently caress up.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

corn on the cop posted:

elite tank game

You boys gotta lose some games to get us a draft pick, but only lose by one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This does not look good.

https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/842583259766775808

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Now that i know Beleskey is okay, i can say that if they just let patty get his hatty on the empty net with a McDavid assist, he'd still remember his kids names :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kilza posted:

Holy poo poo, Oilers actually beat the Kings in regulation. That's gotta be it for LA, then. They're 11 points behind Calgary for 4th in the Pacific, 6 points behind the Blues for the 2nd wild card spot who have a game in hand + the easiest schedule and 8 points behind Nashville. It's hard to see them able to overcome the deficit and knock anybody out.

As for the Oilers, 9 more points (either won by them or lost by LA) until they officially clinch now. They're so close to officially breaking the playoff drought now, I can't believe it.

If their remaining 10 games, there's 2 against the kings, 2 against the canucks, and 2 against the avalanche, who are all effectively eliminated. Should be smooth sailing as they all check out. in their last 10 each they only have 9 wins combined. If they take those 6, that's 99 points, best regular season since 88.

We could be heading to a first round battle of alberta in the west, and first round battle of ontario in the east.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 21, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

grack posted:

I really can't decide if Iginla getting traded for literally nothing is funny or sad.

Considering he could have gone home to the flames and made the playoffs with his old number 12 on his back, it's funny.

Instead, he made an rear end out of himself in edmonton wearing a number 88 kings jersey.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I too would like this so that a Canadian team is guaranteed to lose

Well, if that happens, there's 3 canadian teams on that side of the bracket, so congrats to whoever ends up in the number 2 wildcard slot.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

No dont, I don't want anyone to disturb my (e:former) bubble

E: being a Leafs fan in Vancouver is the WORST, because not only is everyone here a Canucks fan, they despise Toronto (not just in hockey) and have a city wide inferiority complex about it.

How dare the self proclaimed greatest city in the world not love the self proclaimed center of the universe.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

shootouts should involve guns.

Basically the worst thing to have ever happened was the gold medal game in the world juniors being decided by a shootout.

regular season NHL shootouts are a close second.

If you need a game to end on time, make the nets bigger in overtime.

ed: also, views

Talbot only 3 wins away from the most oiler goalie wins in a season ever. Mcdavid with a fire lit under his rear end is a magical thing. Mcdavid playoff hockey is going to be a treat for everybody.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Good Canadian Boy posted:

Leafs overtake Boston in the standings. Currently positioned to play against Ottawa in the first round. :getin:

Looks like the boston bruins are just barely hanging on to that last wildcard spot :smug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Boston only has 9 games left to the islander's 10, is only up by 2 points, and is 3 games into a losing streak. Are they even going to make the playoffs?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ducks suck, refs suck, Mcdavid got 3 points so it wasn't a total waste.

Now the oilers have 20 hours until they have to play again in colorado.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kilza posted:

McDavid has been on the ice for all 7 goals the past 3 games, including getting points off 6 of them. Maybe the other 3 lines should consider scoring again?

lotta 6 mil players not paying 6 mil hockey.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

T-Bone posted:

A lot of those KHL (and AHL) guys would do better than you expect with enough TOI/opportunity. The NHL has gotten a lot better about populating bottom sixes with skill guys but there's still a ton of talent not in the league.

Man I wish there was a FA cup type thing for hockey.

I got deep into looking at the KHL the other night. I don't remember what sparked my interest, but it's mindblowing in the first round of the playoffs. vladivostok was playing omsk.

They're 6900kms apart (vladivostok is only 7400kms from vancouver). a 17 hour non-stop flight. So they would play 2 games in vladivostok. fly 17 hours on their day off, gaining 4 hours with the time change, play 2 games, fly another 17 hours on their day off, losing 4 hours on the time change, then they played tuesday in omsk, flew 17 hours wednesday, played thursday in vladivostok, flew 17 hours on friday, and then played again on saturday in omsk. That's gotta be unbelievably punishing.

there are 2 teams, zagreb and vladivostok that are 8283kms apart, meaning vladivostok is closer to vancouver than it is to zagreb. zagreb is closer to new york city than it is to vladivostok.

miami and vancouver are only 4510km apart.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

corn on the cop posted:

Avs take a 4-2 lead into the third. Allow five unanswered and now have a goal differential of -101.

Can they be relegated to the AHL, and we can bring up whatever team wins there?

Seriously, the oilers played like absolute garbage and scored 7 goals.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

LumpyGumby posted:

Jokes on me though for supporting this stupid team and giving them money. My own drat fault, really. Pretty drat hilarious this team surrenders FIVE in the third. Beautiful. Wonderful. Grand. Just fist me with a handful of wadded up one dollar bills like the cheap whore I am please.

Well, as an oilers fan, we thank you. We've got one more there, it would be fantastic if they tanked that one too.

Also, as an oilers fan, let me tell you it gets better. It might take 10 years and a pile of #1 draft picks that might turn into whiney new jersey losers, but some day it'll get better.

Stretch Marx posted:

He literally cut off a finger tip that was hanging by skin. It should honestly be a suspension. If you're swinging your stick hard enough to cut someone's figure off under their glove then maybe you need time out.

Give him 5 games. Kane and Marchand too, send a message.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

LumpyGumby posted:

It's almost all the offense. As soon as the team said "Start worrying about playing defense/Corsi" there has been no offense to speak of.

Plus EJ was out for a few months, as well with Varlamov fighting injuries as he is wont to do. We used our fourth string goalie tonight. Not that that's an excuse for the Abortion On Ice that was tonight's game.

There's no reason a team with Landeskog/Duchene/Rantanen/MacKinnon are playing this horribly. None.

quote:

There's no reason a team with Hall/Eberle/Nugent-Hopkins/Yakupov are playing this horribly. None.

bruh

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Drunk Canuck posted:

The Leafs are going to win so many Stanley Cups in the next few years.

easily twice as many as they have in the last 30 years.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Stay safe islanders, sid the slasher is on the ice :ohdear:

Double glove, wear two cups, do what you gotta do.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Apparently while scoring the game winning goal against carolina, Anthanasiou hit the goalie eddie lack in the head with his shoulder, and he went down and hasn't moved since. they took him off on a stretcher. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

https://twitter.com/TomSanna93/status/846540231079858176

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

santanotreal posted:

He gave a thumbs up on his way off, not that that guarantees anything.

It means his arms still work, which is a good.

Here's how it happened.

https://twitter.com/CMS_74_/status/846539709295841280

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fits posted:

marc-andre bergeron is that you

Too soon. :negative:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DOOMocrat posted:

While it's nice they're covering the cost of the Niemi buyout for us I ask that the Wild steal their own history fair and square.

https://twitter.com/mnwild/status/846814675803136001

Well, that's one way to curse a playoff run.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kale posted:

Loving the fact that McDavid will be in the playoffs :canada:

Don't forget Eberle and RNH, both going to the playoffs for the first time in their 7/6 year careers. Yakupov gets to go too with the Blues.

In fact, now, there is only one #1 draft pick since 2000 who's never been to the playoffs.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/taylor-hall-jealous-wont-root-oilers-playoffs/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Would it be gauche to make a joke about Vancouver being the home team?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Imagine how the oilers would be doing if the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th lines could score ever, and if the first line couldn't be split up by prodding maroon a little bit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wub a Dub Sub posted:

its like nuge and rnh only score when it's time for a reminder that they even exist..

Is there a more expensive/less productive line in the NHL?

RNH/ebs/luc, $18m for 50 goals/127 points this season.

McDavid/draisatil/maroon is currently $3.35m for 82 goals/204 points. Of course in 2 years that's going to be a $20m line. They really should have signed maroon for like, 10 years, how much of a steal would he have been at 1.5 mil.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

And McDavid will be signing a juicy $10/11M a year extension come July 1st. Drai is gonna get $7M+ too probably.

Actually now that I think about it, I could see McDavid just going straight Crosby ripoff and settling on a $9.7M cap hit.

Maybe if they win the cup, they'll take a lower wage to keep the team together for a dynasty. $6 million a year goes a long way in edmonton.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mind_Taker posted:

They should add a "1974-75 Washington Capitals: Worst Team in NHL History" banner to the Verizon Center rafters.

There has to be some sort of buffer for expansion teams. You can't expect to be fully functional year one.

It's like a baby, newborns are dumb as poo poo. one, two years old, still hard to say. If there's no progress by year 3, life becomes a lot more difficult.

You look at the worst seasons ever

1. 74-75 caps, expansion year 1
2. 92-93 sharks, year 2
3. 92-93 senators, year 1
4. 19-20 bulldogs, year 1 and only
5. 75-76 scouts, year 2
6. 80-81 jets, year 1 in the NHL, year 8 overall.
7. 43-44 rangers, year 20something, might deserve a banner, but it was during world war II, maybe an asterisk
8. 72-73 islanders, year 1
9. 89-90 nordiques, Possibly the first legitimately lovely team, but if you give them a banner, you have to hang it in colorado, salt in the wound.
10. 93-94 senators, year 2

Almost every .25 season of the modern area came in the first 3 years of the team entering the league.

The Avs have been around for 20 years.
They've won stanley cups.
They have all-star candidates, and not pity ones like Horvat or Doughty
They have 5 retired numbers.

That's something deserving of a banner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

20 games ago sharks? maybe.

It would be hilarious to see them drop into the 2nd wildcard and end up against the hawks in the first round. We'll take St Louis on our side of the bracket, they can't even score against the Avalanche.

• Locked thread