Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So I'm not under the impression he's gonna be a star for the Flames or anything, but Calgary's prospect of the month has 12 goals in his last 13 games in the ECHL, and has 20 goals in 45 games. He's also 6'7 and plays defence. Think his size may have something to do with it.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=187411

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

T-Bone posted:

I'm really starting to dislike John Hynes and his David Puddy squint.

Who is that in your avatar delivering the mother of all cheap shots to the nuts?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

T-Bone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD9XB5_vbKc

If you keep watching the recommended videos, it will lead you to such beauties as "Shawn Antoski Destroys Shane Churla's Eye" and "bure drills churla the Mother of all elbows."

That elbow was :stare:

Bure's the last dude I'd expect to play dirty, although it's not like Churla didn't provoke him (which isn't to excuse what Bure did).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Calgary's in 6th. Let's say the Playoff started today and they played San Jose, what would their chances be?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

San Jose would destroy them. I think they could snag a game but a lot would hinge on Elliot not playing like trash against one of the very best teams in the NHL. I'd guess Sharks in five, with Calgary stealing a game on the road in overtime.

Elliott has been better lately (he's won 5 consecutive starts with .952 SV pct, and he played well enough to win 4 of them), but as long as we play Wideman every night that probably matters less than I'd like it too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Apparently the WIngs called up Rob Russo. Good numbers in AHL. Thoughts, Wings fans?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Duke seems like an AHL lifer to me. He's 21 and still in the WHL (and not really dominating). But stranger things have happened.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thufir posted:

Well, they need an AHL team too.

Absolutely, there's nothing wrong with stocking said team, just giving my take on what he'll end up doing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

santanotreal posted:

Well at least they'll do better than Colorado then

:drat:

I wonder if the Knights'll try to fish some KHL players away, isn't the league in financial dire straits?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 6, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Gents there's roughly 18 games left, give or take depending on your team's schedule; who you got for the various trophies?

MVP: Connor McDavid (took a sad sack of poo poo team and made them top 4 seed)
Norris: Ryan Suter (I'm sorry but Burns is basically a forward in my view, although I won't bitch if he wins)
Selke: Pat Bergeron (still crazy good at his job, thought about getting homerish and putting Backlund here)
Vezina: (tie) Devan Dubnyk and Braden Holtby (I honestly can't decide)
Calder: Auston Matthews

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Oh my Jack Adams winner would be Guy Boucher, he's gotten a lot out of his guys

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Schlesische posted:

They're going to want to either be in the Pacific or in the first wildcard come the playoffs, but considering I never thought they'd make the playoffs until they destroyed the Isles that's a big step up.

Who's caught fire for them?

Near as I can tell, it's a combination of a couple things: Elliott has played significantly better over the last month or so, and the team has tightened up defensively (which we can attribute to Wideman being gone, which I only just noticed).

It's also important to remember that this is a talented team to begin with, especially at Forward. I still think we need one more top 4 guy on Defence for us to do anything of importance, but Calgary is looking good lately. The win over NYI makes 7 straight and they're threatening to climb into 5th in the conference.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Now I'm wondering what the Flames will spend their significant cap relief on in free agency.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That is one pricy 3rd line, great googily moogily. Trade the Sedins while you still can, Benning.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Speaking of defence, an article about how cutting Weber's minutes has made him more effective since Julien took over

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/claude-julien-using-less-is-more-approach-with-shea-weber-185354303.html#more-id

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JoelJoel posted:

Can the twins be traded, tho? I mean, unless you break them up, even with a decent chunk of salary being retained, who can afford them both? Even if they could retain 50 percent on each contract they still gotta eat like 7 mil for this season and next.

And, like, who wants half the Sedins?

I'm sure somebody out there has a couple fat deals they could toss the other way.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JawKnee posted:

Benning has said he won't even ask them to waive their NMC's so no, they can't, unless they go out of their way to ask him for a trade, and why would they do that? It would just damage their status with Vancouver fans, where they and their families live

Perhaps they'd like to win a cup. That might matter more to them than what the city of Vancouver thinks of them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
When Calgary traded Fleury after his request, they got:

Robyn Regehr (yay!)
Wade Belak(Barf)
Rene Corbet(Barf)

Yeah, not good. If we could have gotten a 1st rounder that had done well, it'd be fair, but as is? Not so much. It actually makes me wonder how many people knew about Fleury's drug issue at the time.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 8, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

That's less "Here's my crazy psych out stare" and more "I've shat my pantaloons!"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
An idea I've had for a while: Gave up a shorty? Say goodbye to your powerplay.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How much booze do you have to drink for a loving rugby player who lives in Ireland to go "That's a bit excessive, guys"?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Mike Stone has a goal and a helper tonight against the Habs, and that gives him 1-3-4 since the trade for him (this is his 8th game). He had 8 points in 45 games in Arizona. Pulling Wideman has obviously helped the Flames, but I think the fact that this kid appears to actively be playing well matters, too. Maybe he just needed a change of scenery, he sounds happy in this article

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/blueliners-settled-in-with-flames/c-287513276

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Especially since #9 is retired for NYI, Clark Gillies wore it. And Dennis Seidenberg is wearing #4.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How has Noah Hanifin looked? I imagine not great given his age and where he plays, but is he at least showing significant potential?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How do you guys feel about this draft class?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Martytoof posted:

I don't know how to embed it so:

http://i.imgur.com/RlxF6dM.gifv

edit: Oh it did it by itself. Good.

Needs a waffle flying by

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The lord's work, right there.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So the Leafs have to be using their cap space on defencemen, yes?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

Ideally yeah, as much as opinions are divided a guy like Shattenkirk would be a big boon. Ultimately the biggest strides on the roster are going to come from the development and graduation of all the young guys though, imo.

What I'd hate to see is the team lose out on the marquee FA signings and settle for giving medium contracts to middle pairing guys. The bottom pair can be improved for basically no money and it's diminishing returns otherwise.

Wouldn't Alzner make a somewhat significant difference?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

Whatever Alzner gets this offseason is going to be way too much. He can play okay defense and block some shots but he very much was propped up by playing alongside Matt Niskanen for a few years (and Holtby being very good), and now that he isn't partners with Niskanen, surprise he stinks! He's also coming off major groin surgery last year and his mobility is much worse. He's going to get $5M+ and whoever gives it to him will immediately regret it IMO.

I mean this with all honesty: I'm not sure Alzner is better than Brooks Orpik. And he certainly shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as good defensive D like Hjalmarsson, Vlasic, Braun, Tanev, etc. He doesn't make catastrophic blunders but he has a dramatic negative impact on the Capitals offense.

Ha! Well, shows what I know. I guess the underlying point I was making is that wouldn't most of the UFA defencemen be better than Hunwick or Polak?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Do the Leafs really have any prospect D-men?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/842389661704151040

That sure sounds like a hockey player of some variation.

Looks like he's putting up points at a pretty decent clip in the ECAC

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Fair play to Burrows, because that sounds pretty drat fishy

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That Kladno jersey is somethin' else

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

I hope the season comes down to a tie between Columbus and Washington and they get to the flip a coin procedure and Washington loses the toss and has to play the Pens in the first round.

God drat would that be glorious

Only until Washington sweeps your gimped up team.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Evander Kane's gonna end up in Vegas and it's gonna raise eybrows before he ever plays a game

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

yellowcar posted:

Byron has been surprisingly good since Montreal claimed him off waivers. He's having a career high season. Also helps that they're not tying Brian Flynn and Steve Ott-shaped anchors to him and slotting him in the top-9 like they're supposed to.

Calgary should give up Dougie Hamilton to the Habs. I hear he's a bum that likes partying too much.

They'd just waste him by sticking him with Emelin, why bother

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Once Calgary loses to whoever, I'm rooting for Minny. I live 6 hours away, Eric Staal is from here, and I like Devan Dubnyk. Plus the Twin Cities have eaten poo poo as a sports area since the Twins won the WS in '91.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Wonder if Vegas will take a look at some of these KHL guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Does anybody know why Calgary wasn't more patient with Daniel Tkaczuk? I was looking at his profile on hockeydb and he had 11 pts in 19 games as a 21/22 yr old, which seems decent to me. What gives? They traded him for Roman Turek after like 20 reasonably productive games. Weird.

• Locked thread