Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Guys, guys...the Jackets could be in the playoffs this time tomorrow. :ohdear:

Torts is FUCKIN' PISSED AS HELL GOD DAMNIT :ramsay: :fuckoff: and he's got a point because the only penalties to come out of this were coincidental roughings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1195igKKrMM

Wennberg looked like he might've been on his way down, but Strome didn't help things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/THWMark/status/843244937332310023

And CBJ's opponent tomorrow? New Jersey.

Don't stop I'm so close HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGH.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I know the answer to this question, but I hope for the Stars' sake Justin Peters isn't part of their goaltending plans, because he just registered an 8.5 on the MAF scale in a Cleveland Monsters game. :laffo:

Trying to find a GIF.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

N: Alexander Wennberg won't play today due to a stiff neck which resulted from a questionable cross-check/head first into the boards hit by Ryan Strome.

V: No penalty was called on the play. Good job, NHL. :downsbravo:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

CBJ/NJD summary, in case you missed it:

-Sedlak (PS, SHG)
-Jenner (SHG)
-Henrique (PPG which is challenged for offside and man it was close. Could also have been challenged for goalie interference which also would've been close.)
-Anderson awarded a penalty shot being tripped by Dalton Prout. (e- Play is reviewed for a possible goal before the penalty shot would've been necessary).
--Anderson is injured and Torts is initially approved to replace him with Sam Gagner. Hynes argues and is right for what it's worth, so they force Torts to replace him with Dubinsky.
-Dubinsky (PSG).

kill me now posted:

alternatively
N: Alexander Wennberg won't play today due to a stiff neck after he takes an awkward spill into the boards after blowing a tire right as Ryan Strome does something that happens dozens of times a game.

V: No penalty was called on the play. Good job, NHL

I argued he was going down yesterday but even the NYI announcers were saying "Strome took him in pretty hard...".

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 19, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Today is the third time one team has scored two penalty shot goals in the same game. The others:

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/843535003866882050

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Come getcha some.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Mike_V posted:

Please continue keeping me up to date on the latest results of the Blue Jackets games

I only did today because the first two periods were a complete gong show. :confused:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Which Wheeling Nailer injury call-up would you like to put down for the game 7 eliminator goal

QMJHL call-up Daniel Sprong could be an option too

Who says a Wheeling Nailer callup's going to eliminate the Caps?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Look Around You posted:

At the rate at which the pens have been getting injured, it's not outside of the realm of possibility.

I was thinking something more along the lines of a former Lake Erie Monster having lightning strike twice against the Caps organization. Werenski sticks out as a candidate, but Bjorkstrand's been scoring lately, Anderson has 16, Sedlak has a few...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Remaining schedules for the Top 3 in the Metro (slash indicates back-to-back):
WSH- CGY, CBJ, ARI, @MIN/@COL, @ARI, @CBJ, @TOR/NYR, @BOS/FLA (6 vs playoff teams)

CBJ- TOR/@WSH, PHI, BUF, @CAR/@CHI, WSH, @PIT, WPG, @PHI/@TOR (4 vs playoff teams)

PIT- @BUF, @OTT/NYI, PHI, CHI, @NYR, CAR, CBJ, @NJD, @TOR/@NYR (5 vs playoff teams)

The Leafs get all three teams at least once and Columbus twice, plus PIT and CBJ back-to-back to end the season. :stonk:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 20, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

I got this funny feeling that the expansion draft is going to set the Blue Jackets back a number of years.

It's not going to help, but it's not great it's happening in a year where the CBJ have been so strong. The way I see it:

quote:

Protected (*=required): F- Saad, Dubinsky*, Foligno*, Hartnell*, Atkinson, Jenner, Wennberg, D- Jones, JMFJ/Murray, Savard, G- :cop:*

Exposed: F- Calvert, Korpikoski (UFA), Karlsson, Anderson, Gagner (UFA), Sedlak; D- JMFJ/Murray, Quincey (UFA); G- Korpisalo, Forsberg, Dansk.

There's not really an anchor among the players who have to be protected- Foligno has redeemed himself and Hartnell has kept up a decent scoring pace in reduced minutes. The feeling is Clarkson would waive.

Up front, you would assume Clarkson waives his NMC, possibly Hartnell (to that end, does Vegas pick him?). If Hartnell does, you then have to decide which of the above forwards to protect...and that's a difficult question- it's a dead heat between Calvert/Karlsson/Anderson. If Vegas takes Sedlak, you've dodged a massive bullet; it's not that he's bad, it's just the others are that much better.

The third D to protect is a tough question. Murray hasn't been as good this year as in previous years, but is young and JMFJ is going into a contract year. No matter what, you're keeping much of the core: Werenski and Nutivaara are ineligible, Jones, Savard, and one of Murray or Johnson stay. You may not lose the other.

In net, the target is Korpisalo. The question is there an eventual backup among Forsberg, Dansk, or Merzlikins? Forsberg is solid in the AHL, but just can't seem to get it done in Columbus.

Unfortunately, there's a strong chance of losing either a) a part of the top PK unit (Calvert/Wild Bill), b) a forward who has exceeded expectations in his first full season (Anderson), or c) a backup goalie (Korpisalo, unless they take a chance on Forsberg at which point another huge bullet has been dodged). If a winger goes, Bjorkstrand appears to have found himself enough to fill the hole. If it's a center, you'd have Sedlak and maybe re-sign Gagner or go within/elsewhere. Losing Korpisalo pretty much means a backup has to be found for the short-term at a minimum, as I don't know if Forsberg has it.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 20, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

It's nice having internet back.

I don't have an opinion on Matthew Tkachuk. I just thought it was funny when, after scrapping with Alexander Wennberg earlier, he briefly considered getting physical at the end of the Jackets/Flames game in Calgary with slightly tougher potential opponents Scott Hartnell and Brandon Dubinsky.

Mind_Taker posted:

Even though I'm biased I'm pretty sure that 8-7 Caps vs Penguins game was a billion times better.

Can I put my vote in for Penguins/Jackets Game 4, 2014 ECQF?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 21, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The best game so far was Caps-Penguins that ended like 8-7 or something, in OT, with fuckin 9 goals in the second period. The second best is when the Caps took a big dump on Columbus' winning streak.

The 8-7 game was A Good Game.

Speaking of the win streak, Pens/Jackets in a battle for the NHL lead in which the Pens came to Nationwide and got dunked on was fun.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Columbus extends Lukas Sedlak, Scott Harrington, and Markus Hannikainen.

As someone who never watched hockey with ties (or any sport until dabbling in Premier League in the last year), I want a winner after each game. If that means extra 3 on 3, so be it.

Please be gentle when you beat me for being a blasphemer.

Krime posted:

We use VUE and really like it. I'm pretty sure the lowest package is $30 but that at least gets you NBC Sports.

During the playoffs they will show some games on MSNBC, too, right? Well, That's part of the VUE's cheapest package as well.

NBC/CNBC/NBCSN/USA/NHL Network.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HzELjc9mtA

(Runs through wall.)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Sid scored a ridiculous goal, lost some chiclets, and sterilized Ryan O'Reilly last night:

https://twitter.com/A_Kalnins/status/844328031418286080

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

Sucks for Columbus that barring a major collapse down the stretch, they're gonna draw either the Caps or the Pens.

This playoff format is such bullshit

CBJ could also win the division. Their schedule is largely easy the rest of the way.

Funny you should mention that. What do GMs think?:

quote:

In a cruel twist of the NHL's divisional playoff format, say goodbye to one of the three best teams in the league in the first round.

"I don't think it was designed for this," Columbus Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen said. "I don't think it was intended for this to happen."

quote:

"It's not a good system when your one wild-card team can cross over and they have kind of, if they perform, a clear path to get to the final," Washington GM Brian MacLellan said. "I think the incentive should be the higher team gets the easier path."

quote:

The Penguins took that path last year as the second seed in the Metropolitan and won the Stanley Cup. So Pittsburgh GM Jim Rutherford is fine with the format and isn't even worried about his team winning the division to evade a brutal first-round matchup.

"I don't think it's critical," Rutherford said. "Because you could end up playing another team that you don't match up as well against or you could play another team that's healthy and the team you avoided isn't healthy."

Fuckin' Pens, man.

https://apnews.com/3dd34577856d47348dc2c53d66c04176/'Stupid'-NHL-divisional-playoff-format-is-drawing-criticism?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Sports

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Nah they'll give Brutus a float and people will come

Gene Smith will be a guest speaker at the celebration and make the announcement that an outdoor game will not happen at The Shoe.

That or Ohio State will schedule a special scrimmage to take place during the parade. Just a random Tuesday morning, June Xth, "Hey, everybody! Another Spring Game! Tomorrow! Yeah, we're serious- and it's FREE! COME ON DOWN!"

DJExile posted:

"WOOO YEAH BRUTUSSSSSSSSS"

"...who are these other guys?"

"No idea..."

And then the staunch OSU fans who think there shalt be no Gods before Brutus in Columbus or Ohio will come out with "OH YEAH, WELL, WE...MADE THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYO...WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP TWO YEARS AG...DAAAAAA DA DA DADADA..."

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DJExile posted:

lol I could 100% see this happening

They already deliberately scheduled the national championship pep rally right in the middle of Columbus' All-Star Weekend when there was a vacant, perfectly good Saturday the week before.

e- Saddest part is people would probably go "Wow, I mean...I like the Jackets and this may not happen again for a while...but I HAVE to go to The Shoe, right? I mean, it's the Buckeyes!".

Even the talk radio guys have been asked "Would you rather have a CBJ Cup or OSU football championship?" in one of the call-in games they play and they're going "Dude, Jackets. OSU's won enough recently."

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 22, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

yellowcar posted:

lol :drat:

I have my own petty reasons for not wanting Columbus to win the Cup and that is Ohio went to Trump and gently caress that noise.

And I guess Fartsmell is pro-Trump as well.

Fartsmell wanted to meet him but never expressed any support for him.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm almost starting to feel as though I'd rather the CBJ run the Metro gauntlet than have to play Toronto/Ottawa/Boston, because they've played some frustrating games against those three this season.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Good news- my town's local access channel, which I stumbled across tonight, has NHL scores (among others) on the bottom of the screen when their placeholder programming is on. :eng101:

Bad news, it said "New York 3 New York 2", which would've been completely useless had I not seen the end of the game myself. :eng99:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Boomer The Cannon posted:

There's almost no way for it to happen, but Toronto-Columbus would make A Good Series.

That three point game you wanted would've helped. :argh: I agree, though. That was a fun game until the third.

The Embarrassment of Young Hockey Riches: A Series In (Up To) Seven Parts. Starring Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, William Nylander, Zach Werenski, Seth Jones, and Brandon Saad.

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Wait, TOR - CBJ was a Tim Peel game?

Now that lovely, awful officiating makes sense.

I didn't know it until the challenge, at which point Tim Peel appeared on my TV and Torts' rant made sense. Paulocaust pointed out four no-calls on the Leafs in the first in the GDT and I noticed a Polak hook on Calvert go missed in the second.

e- Greg Wyshynski runs down Crosby's history of shots delivered below the belt, including the one time he punched a prone Boris Valabik in the neck from behind: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/a-brief-history-of-sidney-crosbys-crotch-shots-video-160904475.html

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 23, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I just read about Mike Keenan taking on a Chinese KHL team in the hopes of making China's hockey program competitive in time for 2022, which led to my annual look at KHL stats and it always amazes/fascinates me some of the retro NHL names who wind up there. It's like looking at a list of "These guys might be pretty good free agents for your team!" from 2008.

Among the "Oh yeah." names I've seen among the top 100 in scoring: Mozyakin, Dadonov, Nigel Dawes, Linus Omark, Brandon Bochenski, Peter Regin, Max Afinogenov, Gilbert Brule, FILLY DON' DO REBOUNDS, Cheechoo, Rob Klinkhammer, Matt Gilroy (wasn't he highly sought-after and now he's in Moscow?), Talbot, Lepisto, Sobotka, Enver Lisin, Zherdev, Svitov.

Their goalies appear more home-grown, but you see names like Fasth and Ben Scrivens.

http://www.eurohockey.com/stats/league/2017/395-khl.html
http://www.eurohockey.com/stats/league/2017/395-khl.html?season=2017&type=1&position=1&nationality=0

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DJExile posted:

As far as other leagues go, is the KHL basically considered the next best league in terms of quality/competition/money after the NHL?

I've always thought so. Keenan said the best teams could run with midpack NHL teams at best, so...maybe?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That CBJ 6.5 minute power play made the Canucks power play look awesome in comparison.

The 3-in-4 game stretch where they didn't get a PP killed them. It just ruined it.

Cartoon Man posted:

I'm guessing Bob is in the net for the CBJ tonight against Caps and their backup played last night?

Yes. Korpisalo went last night and it made no sense to me until I remembered the Caps game was tonight.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'll take a point against the Caps given how last night's game went. Wasn't terribly pretty for either team tonight and shootout cheat code TJ Oshie was the difference.

Would've liked two, though...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I feel for Avs fans and maybe the players, but this feels like some sort of cosmic justice for the Kroenkes taking the Rams and putting them in a market where somehow fewer people give a poo poo.

Was the Crosby/Methot thing intentional or incidental?

bewbies posted:

also just close your eyes for a second and imagine if methot had chopped off crosby's finger

The Yinzers would Yinzer unlike any Yinzering that had ever happened before.

e-

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/845251269375725568

Sorry FAS.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 24, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DJExile posted:

If you want to see a bunch of NHL prospects in the college game, North Dakota is facing BU in the west regional right now on ESPN2

here's a big dumb primer i did over in the college thread

This is where I was introduced to the glory that is Zach Werenski last year.

Powershift posted:

Stay safe islanders, sid the slasher is on the ice :ohdear:

Double glove, wear two cups, do what you gotta do.

The whole team comes out wearing cages and suits of armor to protect themselves from Goon Thug Team.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Next three CBJ games: PHI, BUF, @CAR

Following three CBJ games: @CHI, WSH, @PIT.

Let's...uh...get those points out of the first three.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Bob is 9-0-2 in his last 11 games, with SV% and GAAs at roughly .970 and 1.00.

Vezina? Hart?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/THWMark/status/845738434736111617

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Two refs, one cup missed call:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HMvcUPNkGY

Both refs appeared to be looking at the first one, too. :psyduck:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I don't think a goalie's going to win but excellent chance that no one breaks 100 pts and very good chance no forward except McDavid hits 90, no forward hits 50, etc., and that's usually the kind of thing that helps a non-forward win. I also think Burns for Hart is dead given both him and the Sharks cooling off.

I'd be pretty surprised if McDavid doesn't win it.

This got me wondering, so I looked up for comparison the last time a goalie won (2014-15, Price):
1) Price- 44-16-6, 1.96GAA, .933SV% (95.41% of vote)
2) Ovechkin- 53G-28A-81P (56.56%)
3) Tavares- 38G-48A-86P (47.07)

Dubnyk was fourth.

Compare this to a hypothetical Crosby/McJesus/Bob as it stands now:
Crosby- 42-40-82
McDavid- 26-62-88
Bobrovsky- 40-13-5, 1.99, .934

It's awfully similar, with the difference being Crosby and McDavid will finish with more points than Ovie/Tavares and Bob's numbers still have time to either improve or, possibly, slip. As you said, nobody's getting 50 goals and/or 100 points.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Wonderllama posted:

I love the Sidney Crosby persecution complex

It's more of a Penguins persecution complex.

glynnenstein posted:

I agree but I think both Crosby and McDavid also have stronger cheerleaders than Ovie or Tavares had.

Yeah, I feel like this will be the difference, not that Crosby or McDavid would be less deserving.

Soft Shell Crab posted:

I do all the time. I don't know if he want's it though.

:thurman:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

I hope Crosby summarily executes Giroux at center ice tonight.

quote:

Paltry Fine

Sidney Crosby has been fined the paltry amount allowed in the CBA as a result of his actions on Claude Giroux. In reviewing this play, we also took into consideration that Sidney Crosby is a superstar.

http://www.nhlwheelofjustice.com/

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Kilza posted:

Turns out that's the price you have to pay after winning the Stanley Cup last year..

The whole CBJ team except Hartnell, Johansen, and Savard died in 2014-15 and all they got the year before were two wins against the Pens in round 1. I feel cheated.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Torts doesn't get to be smug about anything for another couple of years after the world cup disastrophe

Another Jack Adams, a likely Vezina goalie, a potential Calder winner if Matthews and Laine didn't exist this season, and what would be a franchise-first series win against a team he doesn't (and much of the fanbase is rapidly growing to not) like, all with the team he's paid to run which everyone projected to be a last-place trainwreck? Maybe not :smug:-worthy, but I...think that would wash out the flameout in Gary Bettman's Olympic Diversion Cashgrab Tournament.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 27, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

e- No, I was just making a counterargument to the point that Torts should still be licking his wounds from a tournament I'd actually forgotten existed until the post I quoted reminded me (and, to be fair, it was a trash fire on his and Team USA's part; I was pulling for Young Gunz).

As for my original post, How many of the Pens regulars are expected to be back by the end of the first round? I haven't been keeping track other than Letang being a potentially long-term issue.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

xzzy posted:

Oh oops, I googled like an idiot. Yeah, clark county has 2 million people. The tourist population is still hilariously lopsided though.

Casinos will definitely be comping people to hockey games.

There was talk on a sports radio show in Columbus yesterday about how the NFL will work in Vegas and one suggestion was road trips for fans. The example they used was a Browns fan wanting to see the Browns in December, but tying it into a trip to Las Vegas. I could definitely see a Florida/Tampa-style number of visiting NHL jerseys at Golden Knights games for the same reason, especially with fans who travel well and in numbers.

e- How easy will it be for visiting fans? With new Delta service to Orange County starting in April, Las Vegas has non-stop air service to every NHL city except Ottawa, and some of them have more than one airline operating the route (i.e., Columbus-Las Vegas on Frontier and Southwest): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarran_International_Airport#Airlines_and_destinations

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 28, 2017

• Locked thread