Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Curtis Lazar is going to turn it all around and make Ottawa look foolish.

nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aye Doc posted:

they don't need help doing that

Hey at least we sold Lazar before his value went to zero.

And the odds are the J guy is better than Borowiecki.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Now that Streit is gone, Bellemare is getting the A.

Not Voracek or Couturier or anything

Yeah they just locked him up to a long term deal. Makes sense. The deal is going to last his entire career.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I bet he also cried like that when he found out he wasn't invited to Max's party.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Basically what I'm saying is that this is proof that he's a selfish player, making the tribute all about him.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I'm shocked Philly did a bad job of getting good play out of a defenceman.

Is it just me or has that drat wayward son song been stuck in anyone else's head since this thread went up too?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

Not bad for a guy who was the definition of a nothing trade last year

Don't think his bonafides as an offenseman were ever really in question. He wasn't up to the absurdly difficult task of being a #1 on a bad team, but there was always a lot of skill there.

Kunitz's TOI is noticeably down this year, I think even the coaching staff recognizes they've got to play some of the younger guys instead.

Mike_V posted:

https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/838596445485875200

Wear a loving dangler, why even risk getting your throat blasted by a puck?

Danglers impede vision. Hockeymans are tough you know.

I had a dangler explode once off a slapper in a pickup game. Playing the rest of that game was scary.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

Thing is, Schultz's minutes have steadily gone up over the year due to injuries etc and he's still thriving. He owns.

As far as Kunitz goes I'm not so sure you're right because the past month plus they've had him on Crosby's line at even strength and predictably that line has been rear end. They finally demoted him mid game today for Guentzel and Crosby ended up with like 9 shots on goal. Jake-Sid-Sheary should be a thing, or Sheary-Sid-Hornqvist. Kunitz is fine on the fourth line but for some reason he inevitably worms his way back into the top six.

Kunitz worms his way back because he's still a guy who can score ~35 EV points, and Pittsburgh's ice time distribution means guys who can produce at that rate will spend time with one of Crosby or Malkin. Kunitz has actually spent significantly more time with Malkin than with Crosby this year.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I think the Vezina is Bob / Dubnyk / Holtby with Holtby winning. Torts could win the Adams but Babcock would be a pretty serious contender too. McDavid for Hart, Crosby for the Lindsay.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Uh. Larsson was traded for Hall.

I still think you're right that Bergevin never makes that deal. see: he didn't make that deal.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Part of the reason they stopped calling interference is because 200+ lb men were flying into the D zone and threatening serious damage. Interference limits that. I don't know if there's a solution to that piece.

I also don't want scoring increased via more stoppages. Stoppages are crap.

I like the idea of removing offsides and just letting guys roam. It's a dramatic change but so was removing the red line, so was changing to touch up offsides.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

With no off-sides there'd be even more icing than there is currently since teams would be whizzing home run passes down the ice.

Remove icing for attempted passes. Leave it for clears.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

santanotreal posted:

And how do you draw the line on what's what?

Discretionary icing is a thing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also Holtby won last year and the voters like when hockey players take turns.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

The Canucks did an exchange program thing with a star Irish Hurler named Lee Chin and his comments about the team were uh... interesting.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/lee-chin-surprised-by-levels-of-drinking-and-fighting-in-nhl-1.3003990

So I guess it's not just Canucks management that acts like it's still the 70s.

Slump busters have long been a thing.

Also yeah the biggest surprise here is that an amateur hurler takes performance so seriously.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

shyduck posted:

I mean there is this:

https://twitter.com/Del_Gaone/status/839898314569105408

...but I've always been more "what have you done for me lately" when it comes to goaltending. We don't want to run Mase into the ground either, but they're coming off a day's rest and this is a very pivotal game tonight, so... who knows.

Always play the % when you have a large sample size like 15 games.

quote:

You! Strawberry! Good effort today.
Take a lap and hit the showers.
I'm putting in a right-handed batter.
Pinch-hitting for me? Yes.
You're a left-hander and so is the pitcher.
If I send up a right-handed batter it's called playing the percentages.
It's what smart managers do to win ball games.
I've got nine home runs.
You should be very proud.
Sit down.
Simpson! You're batting for Strawberry.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 9, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Yes because what we need more of are challengeable judgement calls

Discretionary icing already exists and icing isn't challengable.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

yellowcar posted:

I was never in organized hockey when I was a kid so I was never taught how to hold my stick "properly". I'm a righty that shoots right and stickhandles with the left. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Same. My brother played a fair bit and he's the same. We both usually pay goal though so maybe our brains are broken because of that.

I would really like to switch my glove hand, because my glove kind of sucks. It's hard to do though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I sure am glad we traded away Silfverberg so we could pay this guy 7 million per.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bub spank posted:

The System

(e: it's a big change from the exciting run and gun "systems" of the last few years under Cameron and Maclean, and less exciting to watch, but somehow it's working this year so I'm not complaining)

I'm not sure there's a team in the league I'd rather watch less than Ottawa, to the point where I'm turning down lower bowl seats and not bothering to put my name in for corporate box seats. The hockey is just so goddamn boring.

e: Marner definitely benefits when playing with guys who can cash on the chances he creates but his skill ceiling is just so high I'm not sure it matters that much. God he is fun to watch.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 18, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Shawn Cotureier posted:

Since the Flyers haven't played him in enough games this season, Jordan Weal will be a group 4 UFA next year

I blame Hakstol's refusal to scratch Vandevelde

Does that mean they aren't going to be able to keep Jordan Weal???? Will this be their worst loss since they let Akeson go?

What's with FAS irrationally liking AHLers.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Citizen Tayne posted:

That's a part of why he's the greatest hockey player on the planet.

Hartnell is good but he's not that good.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've only been to Ottawa games the past couple years when I got free tickets. I have some good ones next week against the Wings and am going to take my son to his first pro hockey game. He's 8 and does not give a gently caress about hockey but when he deigns to care he cheers for his mom's team, the habs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Scaramouche posted:

Who was the first beach ball gif? I wanna say Cloutier

I dunno about first, but Lalime was certainly one of the first.

• Locked thread