Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I approve of this thread title. Oh I do.

Also, for the remainder of the season, I'm pulling for the Wild. Dunno, probably because they're the only team I can get without having to pay more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Matt Zerella posted:

Good luck clearing out some Stock, Flyinglemur

:dadjoke:

And I approve

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Aphrodite posted:

I heard it's free dog whistle night at the Bell Center.

:drat:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gio posted:

can we get a rule that says ken holland cant be a GM?

*monkey's paw finger curls up, and Ken Holland becomes the owner of the Wings*

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rotten Cookies posted:

6 OR 12 YOU MUST CHOOSE ONE. Anything else is impossible!

Comedy third option: a bakers dozen instead of a regular or half

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

Or don't allow skaters to wear shin guards anymore.

Somewhere Torts shudders and he doesn't know why

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

High scoring competitive games, yes, but no one wants to watch a blow out except the winning team's fans.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Regarding timeouts after icing: I think they should be banned, if and only if there hasn't been a non-icing faceoff in the last minute of game time. Like if you hadn't had a line change in two minutes because of icing, you can use the timeout.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Furnaceface posted:

Its less the Canadian dollar and more Rogers driving away a ton of viewers/fans in Canada by airing the worst product we've seen since the FOX glowy puck era.

FOX glowy puck was cool though. I liked it :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Remove the trapezoid

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dale Ouise posted:

"Happy broads day! Humina Humina! Awoooooooga!" --The Colorado Avalanche

https://twitter.com/Avalanche/status/839620678877859841

If they just used the left pic, it'd be fine. But nope

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Soft Shell Crab posted:

Left is right in your bizarro world?

What are your thoughts on a professional sports team leaving a tweet up for months that blames the woman for being abused by her partner?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Here's my question then: so?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I shoot left and I'm a lefty in terms of batting for baseball and writing. I throw righty, and I can somewhat swing a bat and hockey stick righty.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Aye Doc posted:

the hockey news did some projections on how hosed all the teams are going to be in 2020

https://twitter.com/vanguy/status/840308382351286272

these are the tidbits of hockey news you care about when your team is going to be eliminated :(

Red Wings 29th?

Good.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

lmao, best case scenario for the flyers this week to get back in the playoff hunt:

:rip:

:cawg:

Good luck, you'll need every bit of it

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Regarding potentially no 40 goal scorers: I'm fine with that on one hand.

On the other hand, a household name like Gretzky could potentially do wonders for the sport. That's something hockey sorely lacks compared to the other three major sports.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/myregularface/status/841487656936755200
:shlick:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

MAF getting beat on a wraparound?! Why I never!!!

Johnny Hockey is legit tho, think I'm going to have to pull for the Flames or the Sharks from the west this year

Would Kessel being in the net and told that he doesn't get hotdogs if he loses work as a replacement?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

The "emotionless hockey robot" thing is a very legit knock but holy poo poo does baseball have the market loving cornered on stamping out anyone who dares to have a shred of personality.

Guess which sports don't!

NBA and to a lesser extent, NFL. It's always hilarious listening to the hot takes about Cam Newton and OBJ. No one dares say a thing about NBA though, because big personalities have been a thing since dunking returned.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

The NFL only has an issue with black people having personalities. Meanwhile a frat party made flesh is totally just havin' fun out there, guys.

:thejoke:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

Brian Elliott is sick and will not play tonight vs. Boston

Mumps! :argh:

Aphrodite posted:

Rivalries can't exist without enforcers.

How are you going to enforce that? :dadjoke:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Stretch Marx posted:

Rivalries add nothing to the game. That is my hottest of takes.

Would you rather go to a game against the Senators or would you rather go to a game against the Sharks, assuming everything else is the same?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

THat just happened. :stare:

The flyers looked competent for 3 periods.

They used up their competence for the rest of the year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Neodoomium posted:

lol the wings lost to Colorado

RWAS right now: :suicide:

Everyone else: :unsmigghh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cross posting for awareness.

iospace posted:

TOMORROW, AT 3PM EASTERN, IT'S THE NCAA FINAL FOR WOMEN'S HOCKEY :getin:

WATCH THE BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY (not hyperbole, they were ranked #1 via every metric), WEIGHING IN AT 33-2-4, HAILING FROM THE WCHA, THE UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-MADISON BADGERS. THEIR CHALLENGERS, AT #2 IN WHAT COUNTS (and in the pairwise and other rankings), WEIGHING IN AT 31-4-5, COMING FROM THE ECAC, THE CLARKSON UNIVERSITY GOLDEN KNIGHTS.

WISCONSIN HAS FIVE CHAMPIONSHIPS, LAST WON IN 2011. CLARKSON HAS 1, IN 2014.

Broadcast network is Big Ten Network :suicide:

Because Women's Hockey needs a lot more love.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Duke Chin posted:

:allears: good times.. good times...

We just don't need to talk about the next round.

au contrae, let's. :unsmigghh:

Honestly, on Leafs fans being all "YESSSSSS" is analogous to the Cowboys fans doing the same thing this past season. I'll give them this one. Next one they don't get a pass.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's insane to think that that has only happened twice in NHL history.

A sad postscript to Clint's story is when the same thing happened to Zednik, it set off PTSD in Clint and a suicide attempt :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spotted, today down in Illinois (taken at a light while stopped, like a good girl):

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Look Around You posted:

D:

Crosby's gotten just a little bit out of hand these past few games...

I see what you did there.

Also, knowing Crosby, they won't touch him.

Then again, something like that may get him a game, but more likely a slap on the wrist fine.

e: gently caress, beaten to the joke

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

corn on the cop posted:

it's actually 20

:rip:

corn on the cop posted:

Avs take a 4-2 lead into the third. Allow five unanswered and now have a goal differential of -101.

Here lie the Avs. They never scored.

Should have asked Jagr for advice.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Duke Chin posted:

[goes and checks the standings]

:stonklol: oh my god :stonklol: A+ tank effort you plummeting slides of snow :stonklol:

I guess they couldn't stop the Avalanche of suck.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Godinster posted:

If shithead doesn't get a suspension for murdering Methot's finger I'm going to... I don't know what.

Still watch? Io's rules of sports fandom include a rule that no matter what, you'll watch.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

Only for generational talents.

The double standards in the league are pretty comical, I wonder if Bettman is aware and just doesn't care as long as the tickets keep selling.

Bettman is a tool for the owners. Same with Goodell. They'll do what the owners want as long as it keeps them in a job.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

Yeah this is every sport's commissioner.

Why can't we have Adam Silver as a commissioner?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/drosennhl/status/847191403948118017

Good. I can't wait to see what lovely players get protected and which good players don't get protected.

I wanna see who Ken Holland protects and how much of RWAS gets upset about it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Soft Shell Crab posted:

You already have bunch of these flashy guys in your 20 win/season team. You need someone who can break some fingers and call it a standard hockey play immediately after.

Last I checked, Crosby is staying with the Pens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

marioinblack posted:

Their wiki page from that season has this hilarious entry.

It's one thing for a team to suck in their first year. That's sort of expected, but the fans know it's teething issues (usually).

It's another when you won the cup in the last 20 years and you're dead last in the league.

I'm looking at you, Colorado.

• Locked thread