Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

eXXon posted:

Leafs lose by failing to trade Polak. Did GMs watch the last playoffs and notice how godawful he was with the Sharks or what?

I dunno, the deal they got for Brian Boyle was p good

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
How does Iginla get traded for a conditional 4th round with 50% cap retention? I guess it's just a rental but that seems pretty cheap for a guy like him.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Suspicious posted:

Iginla is so slow that 'chariots of fire' will start playing in your head when you watch him skate.

Oh, that's sad. He used to be a lot of fun to watch.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

It had Maf in it too so you know there was at least some entertainment to be had.

I'm sure the Pens got away with some stuff that my homer eye conveniently ignored but poo poo like this was going uncalled last night: https://twitter.com/Benstonium/status/837144823626883072

More of an indictment on NHL reffing than the Hawks but lol

The penguins player getting hooked was holding the stick under his arm, which was mostly why Keith was able to jerk him around so under current referee guidance that's prob not a penalty that's going to get called.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Shootouts suck

E: also, Quick is ok at goalie I guess

Kalenn Istarion fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 3, 2017

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Oh I know

Trading Reimer was so dumb

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Even by the standards of the day that should have been a serious penalty, yikes

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

grack posted:

Bure got fined $500 for the hit.

:cripes:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

DuhSal posted:

I'm thinking if the Leafs make the playoffs they're going to get curbstombed. They've shown themselves to not be able to handle strong offensive pressure too well when the game gets really hard this year and it'll only be harder during playoff time. I would like to be pleasantly surprised of course. Still pretty happy with how the season has went though.

As much as I want them to win this is pretty much how I feel too :smith:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Calder: Auston Matthews

Yes guy

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

Remove icing for attempted passes. Leave it for clears.

Yes because what we need more of are challengeable judgement calls

Thufir posted:

Also: Stop loving around taking forever lining up faceoffs and kicking guys out and redropping the puck. Nobody in the crowd gives a poo poo if you're absolutely fair and faceoffs don't matter that much anyway.

So many wrong things

If you didn't have strict face offs guys would cheat like hell and they'd be a disaster

And lol at face offs not mattering that much

Thufir posted:

Every goal is worth 6 and then they get a chance at shooting through a little slot from center ice for the 7th point.

You get two points if the goalie freezes it and you check him hard enough to take the nets off the pegs

Every hockey interview ever

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

JoelJoel posted:

So does Winnipeg have the worst mascot name or am I missing one?

I dunno SJ Sharkie and Youppi are pretty bad

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

In the last week:
Dallas 4 Washington 2
Detroit 4 Chicago 2
Buffalo 5 Columbus 3

Pittsburgh's gonna join the "games you had no business losing" club tonight at Vancouver, aren't they?

Nooooope

Miller stood on his head but you can't win hockey games without scoring goals. I'm frankly amazed the Canucks got almost 30 shots with how much the puck was in their zone.

I was at the game and the obstruction not getting called and the intrusiveness of the video review really stood out to me tonight.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

Hi again everybody.

You are just the worst :barf:

Also gently caress the pens and the kings in that order forever and ever amen.
:reject::respek::v:

Oh and also gently caress the habs just on principal

In other news: heading up to Vancouver again tomorrow to see the Nucks/B's game on Monday. Never been in Rogers place: There anything cool/weird/different in there or some good arena food I should know about?

I will be at the same game although in a box from a supplier

The sushi is pretty good but can't remember where to get it on the main level

Koopa Kid posted:

Gardiner got the assist while on the bench too, Willie really likes to drag the puck around.

Matthews is going through probably his worst stretch of the year and I'm worried he's finally hit the wall instead of this just being a typical slump.

Luckily cool heads are prevailing right now, but if the Leafs miss I shudder to think of the takes. It's to be expected though, he's never played a schedule even close to this before.

This was almost word for word the wailing and gnashing of teeth that occurred when he slumped at the start of the season. That went on for over 10 games btw. He'll be fine.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

Oh I see how it is bougie elitest referee. :colbert:

:v:

:canada:

It was definitely not my refereeing ability that got me into the box seats

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

Bring us beer up in the nosebleeds and I'll vouch for you as not being THE WORST REF in the goon players thanks in advance :v:

Pm me your seat

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

pseudodragon posted:

This actually seems legit though. If scalpers are getting $100 or whatever per ticket, why shouldn't the team cut out the middleman? If I'm paying for a game I'd rather it go to the team than some random dude...

It's not like anyone got tickets for face value anyways.

Yeah because I'm sure the scalpels will totally just go out of business rather than just charging more to the crazy Toronto fans

HappyHippo posted:

No they aren't. The supply is fixed but the demand depends on the price.

The demand is inelastic within the capacity of the stadium and just about any price the team wants to charge

Yes there's hypothetically a level at which enough people will say gently caress it but it's well above current prices.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Duke Chin got his bourgeois beer

Also he has a good shirt

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

In other news, Marchand continues to be hot fire

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

DJExile posted:

Flyers Defense is what happened :manning:

~MY GIRLFRIEND~ is not a sports person by any means, but one lazy Saturday we were channel surfing and I asked her if she wanted to see one period of the Flyers game. She knows nothing about hockey and I told her I wouldn't say anything for 10 minutes and just let her absorb what she could and see how she liked it.

5 minutes in I hear "this... is actually pretty awesome."

E: Tonight's Jets/Devils game has been rescheduled to March 28th.

Put a ring on it brother

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

hifi posted:

Baseball can be boring but it's your fault if you pick the team that has rules against facial hair and long hair. Meanwhile in hockey everyone is canadian with a nickname that's just their last name with "er" or "y" tacked on the end

The Canucks game had a hilarious intro where it was basically this for all the guys on the roster

Danny, Matty, Hank

There was like one guy who had a nickname that wasn't Firstnamey

yellowcar posted:

Cannot confirm if Duke has a big bushy mustache just like his av. 4/5

Also, you look like a young Bob McKenzie

He has a proper beard

Ginette Reno posted:

From my experiences playing and coaching youth hockey I can confirm that video someone posted earlier of parents fighting in the stands and screaming is pretty much spot on for hockey parents. People are fuckin nuts.

There was a recent news report about parents of 11 and 12 year olds from my son's association who screamed at a 14 year old ref because they didn't like a call

Chows posted:

I went to the game last night it was fun they still really don't like Marchand there ok thanks for reading :)

His hat trick probably had something to do with it

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

aejix posted:

But without them, we'd never have been blessed with this:

https://youtu.be/EN2_PSs2Pjc

Every time I watch it I like something else - the goalie sticking with the play til the whistle, whatever the gently caress "GET THE WHEELS ON THE BUS(?)" means, the mortified lady with blonde hair walking back to her seat going "oh god not this bullshit again". A perfect microcosm of junior hockey stereotypes

By far the best bit. Fuckin Paul

That's Minor girls hockey, not junior

Either way it's retarded

CBJSprague24 posted:

You're a saint for wanting to do that in the face of a generation of MY PERFECT LITTLE ANNNNGEEEEEEEEEL parents.

I was expecting this when I started coaching my son's team this year and maybe I got lucky but all the parents were pretty chill. I also laid down the law on lovely behaviour and said I'd personally eject anyone who yelled at a player or ref so maybe that set the tone vOv

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm sure other sports are like this too but yeah hockey parents are ridiculous.

The worst though is when you get those youth hockey coaches that teach their teams to play dirty. I hope there's less of that now but that poo poo was common as gently caress when I was growing up and is the type of behavior that inevitably inflames the parents too.

Of all the games I reffed this season (175 or so?) only one team was actively running around decking guys that wasn't in juvey. It's way less prominent than when I reffed 15 years ago.

Duke Chin posted:

Some mysteries have to remain hidden to the world.

It was loving grand. That, plus all the hats on the ice for an away player's hat trick. :discourse::kiss:

also secondary trip report: duuuuude rogers arena is easily the coldest loving arena I've ever sat in. That beat out both TD Garden and The Joe in mid February in negative-degree temperatures and easily any of the other pro stadiums I've been in. brr.

It was built assuming Vancouver wasn't going to see sub 10C temperatures so the upper deck gets hella cold when it's cold outside.

I'm pretty sure there were more Boston fans in the crowd than real Canuck fans

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

DuhSal posted:

I was going to make a Leafsian defense comment but you beat me to it with the Bruins joke.

It's funny because the leafs are even worse :cripes:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Mike_V posted:

Actually, I think you'll find it was a good thing they lost 7-2

https://twitter.com/CoachsCornerDC/status/842000258532032512

I say this as a true blue Canadian:
Don Cherry is dumb as a bag of rocks

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I don't like lovely hockey people

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

eXXon posted:

Ungluing him from Zach "4 points in his last 23 games including a short-handed goal" Hyman might be a radical experiment worth trying.

Hear hear

Problem is who do you put him with?

Curious why Marner and Matthews haven't been tried together.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

fits posted:

don't go hawks

:sigh:

At least it wasn't against a poo poo team like after ~gonefishinggate~

Mage_Boy posted:

Sundqvist just got injured by being boarded at the end on an AHL game with no penalty because the AHL still insists that one referee works. I'm glad the injury curse includes the minor league Pens as well.

It's done 4-man starting at Junior B in Canada, I was pretty sure AHL is 4-man as well.

Fakeedit: it is, mostly, but is being staged in because you need enough trained referees to do it properly: http://theahl.com/nhl-to-continue-developing-officials-in-ahl

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I think there will be one or two - mostly younger guys on low value contracts or maybe the odd star that's good enough he can tell them to gently caress off and get away with it but it's not going to be a large scale issue.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

:sad:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I either generously let my partner take bench side or, if I can't get away with that I just stay out by the dots, specifically for that reason.

:barf:

CBJSprague24 posted:

The Leafs get all three teams at least once and Columbus twice, plus PIT and CBJ back-to-back to end the season. :stonk:

:smith:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

St. Dogbert posted:

Tkachuk's probably getting suspended for elbowing Doughty in the face or something.

He's meeting with DPS today

Honestly the guy who decked Tkachuk on the boards right after should be having a chat too but that won't happen

It looks accidental-ish to me so he probably won't get that many.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I wasn't sure if he had a history - it looks like it could be an accidental sort of twitch to react to the puck but if he's done stupid poo poo before then gently caress him

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

JawKnee posted:

I would definitely expect the millionaire adult athletes to both have thicker skin, and more intelligence than teenagers on a high school team, or at least to be honest with themselves over who is better than them

Hahaha yeah right

Anyways there's literally nothing for owners to gain from publicizing the lists aside from temporarily silencing the bleating of fans who somehow think they're entitled to this information.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

What do you get when you slam two fuckers together

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

JawKnee posted:

Good value for money if there's a camera present

A couple of sore assholes

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Leafs-Bruins might be the best game I've seen this season, and even better the right team won.

Yeah that last 2 minutes was bonkers

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

I'd love to see the leafs play Ottawa in the playoffs again

so they can avoid the Metro div

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I too would like this so that a Canadian team is guaranteed to win

Fyp

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Try living in the Toronto area while not being a Leafs fan.

No dont, I don't want anyone to disturb my (e:former) bubble

E: being a Leafs fan in Vancouver is the WORST, because not only is everyone here a Canucks fan, they despise Toronto (not just in hockey) and have a city wide inferiority complex about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

xzzy posted:

Well imagine digging a hole with a shovel in one hand. You can do it, but your agility and strength is going to suck.

Crosby's good enough to make it work anyways.

Crosby saw Matthews do a one-handed tip-in earlier in the season and couldn't rest until he one-upped it

RC Cola posted:

Was that goaltender interference? Wondering from a canucks fan perspective.

There aren't any Canucks fans

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think coffee but everyone says that McDonalds is surprisingly the best you can get in a drivethrough.

It is

It's still bad

N: 3-2 for the leafs through 2

V: seeing them hold their own against one of the metro specials is pretty great

• Locked thread