Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm sure the Pens got away with some stuff that my homer eye conveniently ignored but poo poo like this was going uncalled last night:

Holding the stick at least as much as hooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/RFCapsMoustache/status/837653309536276481

So Grubauer backs up Murray in Vegas? Pretty good set for an expansion team.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Look Around You posted:

Murray isn't going to vegas. Pens will buy fleury out if they can't trade him.

This seems like the wise course of action, but I wonder who are they going to pick up to expose? I guess there are more than a couple UFA goalies avilable this summer, but you presumably want someone decent if you're expecting to hold onto him. Or I guess just stash someone in the AHL.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Here's some dubious advanced statting for generating some trade-deadline analysis debate: How much did each playoff team improve after the deadline?

Oh, Habs...

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Mind_Taker posted:

Get rid of the playoffs and award the Stanley Cup to the best regular season team. Retroactively apply this new rule from, say, 2009-10 until now.

Signed,
A (soon to be 3-time Stanley Cup Champion) Washington Capitals fan

Completely regardless of the Caps' many Regular Season ChampionshipsTM, following the EPL for the last few years has made me appreciate how dumb it is that we have these teams play 82 games and then throw most of that out and say, okay but now it's for real.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Albino Squirrel posted:

Uggggh seeing Davidson-Petry together reminds me of all the terrible player management decisions the Oilers have made. Gives me heartburn.

So bad. For so long. (Pens fans can enjoy this one.)

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

My only real problem with the old "New Standard of Officiating" is the hooking penalties they called. If they returned to that standard of officiating for all other penalties but didn't call every single horizontal stick within a foot of a player a hook, I think it would benefit the game tremendously.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

fits posted:

i think most of his stuff is lost to time, but hes back writing for the athletic on similar topics

https://twitter.com/dellowhockey/status/839341527730110465

Obviously there are situations where a faceoff is more important, such as the above, but overall the stat is a weak indicator over the course of a game because there are relatively few of those important occasions. Somebody did an analysis of faceoffs a couple years ago and found that they amount to just the same thing as any single battle for puck possession through a game. A battle at the boards for a loose puck has about the same weight on goals scored as the average faceoff. There's value in having a very good face-off guy for the PP/PK empty net zone faceoff, but otherwise it's noise.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Pungry posted:

So with the Panthers losing again tonight, they're basically out of the playoff hunt. What do the people of SAS think about their future? Is Jagr going to stay another year? Will analytics-guys be scapegoated for them missing the playoffs after firing Gallant? How do they project next year, if fully healthy?

For the last question at least, I believe they could rise above the Atlantic division crap next year should they find another top-line winger or Jagr somehow "bounces back".

Stats might get blamed, but they didn't actually make a lot of decisions that the stats people agreed with this season. For example, Derek MacKenzie signed through 2019 when he's 38 is a particularly bad call.

I don't agree with all of his stuff, but Shane O'Donnell had some reasonable thoughts on the team earlier this year. Given that they improved a lot after a few more games and some people returning from injury, I think you can count on a better season next year. Jagr isn't likely to get much better but he might get much cheaper.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Ovechkin is also playing 2 minutes less a night as a result of both an intentional strategy to try to save him for the postseason more than in years past and because the team needs him less than it ever has with solid contributions from the other lines, especially the third.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Levitate posted:

why wouldn't resellers just raise the price they resell for unless I'm missing something. If there's demand then people will still pay

That's the thing. The secondary market is making money on the discrepancy between face value and what the market will bear. If people are willing to pay $300 a ticket, it doesn't matter what the secondary market pays for them, as long as it's far enough below $300 to be worth their while. If the leafs raise their price less than the "worth their while" variable, it won't affect the secondary market price at all because the supply and demand curves do not change.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Good lord the Toronto media culture is toxic. Leafs lose badly, is it because they went fishing 2 days ago?

At least Mirtle considers the possibility that it isn't literally sunshine that makes the Leafs bad. It could be a "scarier proposition": maybe the Leafs aren't that good yet.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Alzner had offseason surgery and whatever that was about has hurt him this year; he was better last year and has declined. He's by no means bad and would certainly improve most teams' defense. He's probably earned more money than he's worth right now on the basis of last season, and it's entirely possible he'll return to that level, but given just the extra on top of that money that all UFAs end up getting and it's a recipe for some team with shittier goaltender to wind up disappointed. If he took a discount and stayed with the Caps I'd be entirely happy, but he did that once already and will get what he can now.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Cool new charts!

https://twitter.com/dellowhockey/status/842245014801506304

So, about that Neuvirth extension...

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's awfully similar, with the difference being Crosby and McDavid will finish with more points than Ovie/Tavares and Bob's numbers still have time to either improve or, possibly, slip. As you said, nobody's getting 50 goals and/or 100 points.

I agree but I think both Crosby and McDavid also have stronger cheerleaders than Ovie or Tavares had.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

ESPN's Golden Knights mock draft

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/scottcwheeler/status/846863350407548928

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Nearly time to decide on awards for the season. Who will your team nominate as the best dressed player? :swoon:

lol that hat...

• Locked thread