Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

The continued emergence of Radek Faksa brings me great joy. We kind of hit on a 1st rounder!

https://twitter.com/myregularface/status/837500474936942594

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

We got Philly off their streak too. Things didn't go great for a bit after that, either.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Most nets are NHL standard. A bigger NHL standard would make the old nets not standard. Pretty simple.

xzzy posted:

Don't need to make nets bigger anyways. Do something decisive about goalie pads first.

And I don't buy the "we need them like this for protection" argument. Materials science is loving bonkers these days and it has to be possible to use carbon fiber and gels and other fancy poo poo to guarantee the goalie never ever feels a puck hitting him.

Distributing force is not that easy, even for modern materials.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Pucks aren't THAT fast. I've taken some decent slappers off my shin guards and felt nothing. No that does not equate to NHL experience but it's not like pucks are hitting supersonic speeds.

The hard part is the joints and seams, but I would think a species that can send humans to the moon could figure something out.

You have zero context for taking a 100+ mph slapshot. I don't either, but spreading out that force with a smaller surface area and less room to crumple (smaller pads) is an intrinsically harder problem. You need extended time of impact to distribute force, and big fluffy pads do that. Cut the surface area, and you take more of the force of impact at once. Sure you could try and spread that impact to more surface area on the goalie's body itself, but that's not a "add some gel" fix

Get rid of the blue lines, IMO. You wanna rover, whatever. You're taking liberties with your own defense.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

shyduck posted:

Would there still be offsides via the red line or is it just anything goes, park a guy at the opposing net at all times?

No blue lines, no offsides. Keep icing, frozen changes, and don't allow timeouts. You got too frisky throwing fast forwards at the net for breakouts? Too loving bad.

I don't like bigger nets or smaller pads because they aren't the issue in 2017. You have to make it harder for defenders covering the net to block. Since NHL owners won't want to make rinks bigger because that means less seats, eliminate the blue line standup & collapse play.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Gio posted:

also if nothing changed im fine with hockey the way it is. the obsession with increasing scoring is also dumb.

This is the correct answer imo

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Consistent penalty calling will never happen as long as a ref doesn't want to completely kill a game with special teams. When they did, post lockout, it was terrible.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

We're at the point right now where goalies are pretty replaceable; the trade value of a starter calibre goalie is pretty low, the value of a goalie prospect even lower, and I would think they're a fair bit back on salary but I wouldn't be sure. I would hope no one buys goaltenders as the most integral part of a hockey team because that doesn't really bare out. And anyways, it's not like a leaguewide drop in save percentage would hurt goaltender salaries if there were still an appropriate separation between the best and the worst, which could just as easily go up with smaller equipment. I think a big problem for the perceived value of goalies now is you there are a lot of guys you can pick up off the scrap heap who perform pretty well.

Dubie was cheap because of idiocy and Bishop was cheap because of the expansion draft. Above average goalies are still drat pricey.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Flocons de Jambon posted:

They should go back to full power plays instead of ending them after a goal. That's my hot take for increasing scoring.

I don't want to see 3rd vs. 3rd every 5v5 draw either, which is what would happen here.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Brendan Morrow invited a local TV crew to cover his post career CTE treatment. The video is a rough watch, but a good story on this topic.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/03/09/retired-dallas-stars-captain-battling-brain-injury/

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Starsfan posted:

I honestly don't understand why the entire hockey community unites behind Jim Nill. "Give him another chance!"

He's managed to destroy the #1 team in the conference with a series of awful decisions in one offseason, a transition that would take most incompetent general managers several years of bad decisions.

loving get out, take your bullshit "Detroit method" back to Michigan.

I think he gets one coach but I can hear every argument that the evaluation between last season and this one is a fireable offense. I don't want it, but I wouldn't dislike it.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

While it's nice they're covering the cost of the Niemi buyout for us I ask that the Wild steal their own history fair and square.

https://twitter.com/mnwild/status/846814675803136001

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I wish they would just go back to the North Stars name. I don't think it's any more confusing than having the Blues and Blue Jackets or Reds and Red Sox and they have to get rid of the Wild name.

I don't really find that metaphor applicable, but whatever. Happy to count the money, good for HRR.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Sharks or Preds vs Leafs please.

Really anybody but Minnesota.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

There are no clean NHL teams because the NHL actively rewards dirty players.

If you disagree, Steve Ott still has a job, so you are incorrect.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

When the rest of the league takes liberties with your stars on the regular, I'd say there's nothing wrong with calling up a big man on occasion to protect him.

In the past I think this is true but there's as many fights and cheap shots after clean hits as there are dirty ones. There's no "code" there's just mad and madder. There was never respect before, and there sure as gently caress isn't now.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Mike_V posted:

Joe Thornton is a pretty underrated dirty player

It did lead to this classic, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MazB6ARr_o8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

Who was the first beach ball gif? I wanna say Cloutier

Yep. But that one's not my favorite.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread