Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

eXXon posted:

Leafs lose by failing to trade Polak. Did GMs watch the last playoffs and notice how godawful he was with the Sharks or what?

I have this sinking feeling Lou is going to sign him to an extension this off season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Dale Ouise posted:

PLEASE COME BACK PK WE FIRED THE BAD MAN

Still one more guy to fire.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
I'm thinking if the Leafs make the playoffs they're going to get curbstombed. They've shown themselves to not be able to handle strong offensive pressure too well when the game gets really hard this year and it'll only be harder during playoff time. I would like to be pleasantly surprised of course. Still pretty happy with how the season has went though.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Schlesische posted:

On the one hand, they're going to have to learn how to play under pressure and where the line on what you can get away with is (and how to play defense, holy poo poo the goals they let up are baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad). On the other hand, if the Toronto media turns against them because they get swept or if it starts to hammer on Lou to make changes to win now the Leafs are probably going to blow the best chance at winning a ring since 1967.
I'd kinda prefer the latter since I already hate the Toronto media and routinely mute the feed if I'm watching a game with Toronto callers.

I don't like the Toronto media at all either but I have to imagine even they can't be so stupid enough as to expect much more from a team in year 2 of a rebuild. The team have already achieved more than expected so anything else should be just fine. Should. I also don't really see Shanahan blowing up the rebuild so soon because of media pressure. They definitely have a plan and stated as such so I'm going to go ahead and believe them that they'll continue with it.

Also, Montreal's media is much worse.

DuhSal fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 4, 2017

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Schlesische posted:

I think if they do pile on the pressure it'll be hard to avoid looking to sign some of the free agents of the day which will limit ice time to prospects who need it and might have a major impact on the ability to resign the legitimate star prospects in 2-3 years time. Also, a successful year this year might lead to them going "well Hunwick and Polak were good on the ice, lets give them 5 years at 3mil each!".

It's possible but also seems fairly short sighted for people who have stressed about having a plan, so I'm not sure. We'll see either way. Hope you're wrong! :)

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
In hindsight, I guess it's idiotic to sit here and argue which media is worse when they're both pretty garbage so it's probably a who cares thing in the end.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Call Your Grandma posted:

The Leafs were the worst team in the league a year ago. It's March and they have a good shot at making the playoffs with a roster that's at the cap floor. A huge chunk of their dead money contracts will be off the books next year. They could get swept by the Bruins in the first round with 4 consecutive games that start 4-1 and end 4-5 for Boston and it would still be a successful season.

They are going to re-sign Polak and protect Matt Martin so it's not all roses, but things are looking pretty good for Edmonton East.

Oh for sure. It's been an immensely successful season no matter how poorly they do in the playoffs.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
I'm not a huge fan of Sportsnet's presentation or most of their commentators but I don't think that's why their ratings would be down. Even if it was on tsn the ratings would probably be about the same. People just don't want to watch that much hockey I think. I watch a lot because I'm weird but most people only care about their team and don't bother checking out other games majority of the time. I actually appreciate that they show so much of it even if it's not doing as well as they'd like.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Suspicious posted:

I don't watch more Sportsnet than I have to because they somehow found worse commentators than TSN. I absolutely refuse to watch anything on TVA Sport because every single hockey person on it who isn't Mike Bossy is a complete loving idiot.

A looot of commentators suck on any number of different stations one watches. I mean I think Romanuk is brutal but it's not like I can't watch the game because of him. It's not that big of a deal.

Edit: At least not a big deal to me anyway.

DuhSal fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 9, 2017

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Duke Chin posted:

bah gawd that's some Bruins'esque levels of defense right there. :monocle:

I was going to make a Leafsian defense comment but you beat me to it with the Bruins joke.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

A Typical Goon posted:

the teams clearly hate each and poo poo normally goes down when they face the Jets

I feel like this could be applied to a lot of teams who play the Jets.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Good Canadian Boy posted:

Ya, I was going to say you can't blame the dude that lost Hasek on his teams best playoff run to an olympic injury for not wanting his players to go.

I think the part some people have a problem with is the "If it's for team Canada maybe but otherwise no" thing. Which is kinda dumb to say because it undermines his whole point.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
Well hopefully they don't need that last game to get in because they're not winning it. Leafs have been bad on back to backs and that's a tough draw.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Stretch Marx posted:

Can you handle these HIGH EVENTS?

I'm high just thinking about them.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Schlesische posted:

Then you remember the "Toronto" part of it.

Don't worry, if you don't the wider hockey media will make sure to remind you 60 quintillion times during the playoffs that "THE LEAFS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS THE LEAFS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS i guess the oilers break their own decade long drought and are in the playoffs too THE LEAFS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS THE LEAFS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS".

Followed by the inevitable "THE LEAFS ARE SWEPT BY WASHINGTON, WORLD CRIES REAL TEARS".

Media shouldn't affect how a team is liked because it's not the players' fault. If they're a cool and fun team then that should overtake whatever bullshit media thing there is. Why are you a Montreal fan when their media is dogshit too?

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
Cool stat I just saw: last year the Leafs had zero players with 50+ points. This year they have 5 players with 50+. In other good news, Roman Polak will have a hearing for his dumb hit.

DuhSal fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 23, 2017

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
Bah two-handed, how mundane. Come back when he accomplishes that with one hand.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

yellowcar posted:

Even if Anderson stayed in net, the Leafs would have lost anyway.

Anderson plays for the Senators. :v:

DuhSal fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 26, 2017

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

Koopa Kid posted:

He's fine but Leivo and Sosh are injured and call-ups are limited so Smith is playing as a winger.

I thought Kapanen was taking Smith's spot in the lineup? Smith was only in because Sosh and then Leivo were hurt. Unless someone else is hurt, I don't think Smith is playing.

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marner Bozak JVR
Komarov Kadri Brown
Martin Boyle Kapanen

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug
I'm a Leafs fan but even I think the fans would be insufferable if the Leafs won the cup. I think Montreal fans and Toronto fans are probably the most obnoxious of the Canadian teams when they're successful. That said, I'm fine with Leafs fans being hated (moreso) if it means the Leafs win the cup! I think if a team is successful enough they get hated anyway so, whatever.

DuhSal fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

Pillbug

I dunno Babcock loves Polak and Hunwick and they definitely suck. I suspect Babcock probably just has a very apt last name.

• Locked thread