Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm really starting to dislike John Hynes and his David Puddy squint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Who is that in your avatar delivering the mother of all cheap shots to the nuts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD9XB5_vbKc

If you keep watching the recommended videos, it will lead you to such beauties as "Shawn Antoski Destroys Shane Churla's Eye" and "bure drills churla the Mother of all elbows."

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I mean, Churla wasn't really human, so

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

A weird quote but man Zetterberg has been really great this year. I thought he had lost a step last year, and I mean, he has, but he seems to have adapted and is playing that old Jagr/Lemieux/Sedin cerebral game where the game time warps whenever the puck touches their stick.

Mind_Taker posted:

How did Carolina not move on from Cam Ward last offseason? It seemed like the most obvious thing in the world to do and instead they gave him a 2-year $6.6M contract to be one of the worst goalies in the league (again).

Lack of options, I guess? Or perhaps a literal intentional tanking? I have no clue why they didn't go after Bishop. Maybe they wouldn't trade him in the conference.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

The Devils are definitely gonna be last in the conference, they're really bad. Maybe they duke it out with Detroit and Buffalo but I'm at least happy to see them losing and getting a better pick in the draft at this point. Big step back this year when I expected pretty much the same as last year and a playoff contention. Get this team some talent, any talent.

If they can get Owen Tippett, that would be interesting at least (McLeod and Bastian's linemate). They just have no depth. Hall/Palmieri/Zajac/Schneider/Greene/Severson is OK but there's nothing after that.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 5, 2017

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

devils performing admirably in the tank standings, although they're going to be in tough this week with away games in colorado and phoenix

they may break 25 shots in one of those games

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

+

=

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Call Your Grandma posted:

Maybe it's just me but it seems like Canadian teams tend to create this loyalty in their franchise players that's counterproductive to both parties when they need to move on. Ryan Smith requested a trade from LA right before they won the cup so that he could go back to play in the tire fire. I don't quite remember the circumstances with Alfredson but I'm pretty sure there was some unnecessary animosity there when he ended up in Detroit as well.

You see the same things in players on American teams. I could probably name one from just about every team: look at Kunitz, Brodeur, Staal, Osgood, Bourque, DiPietro, Lecavalier, etc. GMs, ownerships, and fans are a sentimental bunch.

How often do you even get fair value for a franchise player when you trade them in their prime? The Kovalchuk, Luongo (Florida->Van), Thornton, Hall, and Subban deals were bad to terrible. Even the Kessel trade was pretty poor value.

You have to go back to like the Nieuwendyk for Iginla or Clark for Sundin deals for something decent.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I should have added "By GMs who don't treat their team like it's in an xbox"

e: Heatley for Hossa was another good one, too. But, man, if you're trading something like that, you're taking a massive risk. There are Devils fans who want to trade Schneider and Hall and go full on tank, and while I almost agree in Holmgren video game theory, it would be an awful gamble.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 7, 2017

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Hall for Larsson too.

After all, Larsson is behind the other two d-men who face tough comp, but his numbers indicate he’s doing a better job than Kris Russell in terms of effective puck-moving.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

eXXon posted:

Would you like to read hfboards Oilers fans earnest argue about how Larsson is/was a better fit for the Oilers than Subban would have been?

I'm too busy with

Zacha-Patrick-RW1
Hall-McLeod-RW2

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

elite tank game

one year too late

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

if it nets them a top-2 pick im okay with it

Somewhere in the top 5 probably gets us Tippett. I'd be OK with him, Hischier, or Patrick.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

CBJSprague24 posted:

Useless tidbit time:

That's both impressive given how bad the CBJ have been through the bulk of their history and the fact it's almost certain to change this year.

I would've thought Detroit would've been on the list but if I remember right, the Wings were WC2 the year the CBJ took on the Pens as WC1.

The real question, who will win a playoff series first? Columbus, Winnipeg, or Las Vegas?

(The Devils franchise didn't win a playoff series until their 14th season). Winnipeg is going to hit 17. Columbus is on 16. That's incredible.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Tampa as the 8 seed with the miracle Stamkos return will be brutal.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
A lot of those KHL (and AHL) guys would do better than you expect with enough TOI/opportunity. The NHL has gotten a lot better about populating bottom sixes with skill guys but there's still a ton of talent not in the league.

Man I wish there was a FA cup type thing for hockey.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ElwoodCuse posted:

That same year Jeff Taffe had 71 in 73, so what

you said he wasn't good enough for the AHL ("that league") when in fact he clearly was?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Doughty is Canadian, a King, a whiner, and a dirty rat himself so actually I'm happy noted American Prince Matthew Tkachuk elbowed him right in the loving chops

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I don't know if Keller can be the star the Coyotes were waiting for but he's super talented and reminds me of Gaudreau/Kane more than any other young American out there. He'll certainly make up for Dylan loving Strome.

And speaking of super talented Americans Kyle Connor had a lovely start to the year but he's tearing up for Manitoba now and will tear it up for Winnipeg in the not so distant future if he gets the chance.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Well it's more that they could have had Marner who looks all world and the fact that he looked absolutely awful during his cup of coffee this year. I don't think he's a bust but they can't afford another Mueller/Turris/Boedker. They need him to be great.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Wait Turris had mental health issues? Besides wanting to live in Ottawa?

and yeah I'm not saying those picks were necessarily bad at the time they made them, they just can't afford to keep striking out/losing assets and getting poo poo in return because they have next to nothing at the NHL level.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Also when you're talking about the Coyotes and you realize you'd still take their organizational depth over the Devils. Is there a team with a worse future than New Jersey? Maybe Vancouver if the Devils manage to stay in the top 3 this draft?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Devils cap situation is great, their problem is unless they hit a home run in this year's draft if Schneider returns to any kind of form they're going to have a hard time getting another high pick next year. McLeod and Zacha certainly don't look like world beaters either. Top 6 contributors, yeah, but man do the Devils need to hit this year. If they're able to take a great forward I could maybe see them rebuilding their defense a bit via FA, but ugh.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
They'll definitely have the opportunity to have the most talented expansion roster ever if they want to.

e: I should amend that to "modern day"

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 28, 2017

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

Oilers fans are going to be insufferable when they break Canada's cup drought in June.

Is Trump still president in 2022?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
They were showing Clayton Keller in the locker room on the NHL network recap show and I honestly thought he was one of those girls with cancer they bring in to spend a day with the players, he doesn't even pass for 16.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Interestingly, Colorado is the only franchise that is undefeated in Stanley Cup Finals (besides teams that of course, haven't made a final).

Even if they stole 2001.

e: although if you count their franchise history in the WHA they have a finals loss there, as do all the WHA finalists.

There are plenty of teams that have won it in their first appearance: Flyers, Islanders, Devils, Penguins, Avalanche, Tampa.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 30, 2017

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
As long as Rask was pretty good I think Boston could give them a long series.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Kinda figured that was coming. The Devils already announced they will retire his jersey next season.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Brain Curry posted:

Umm he is a hero. https://twitter.com/georgerichards/status/847809711378374661

Patty retiring ends the last connection to the Devils teams I grew up rooting for.

Terreri is still the goalie coach!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
this is still my favorite Elias play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db2bGQa6oZY

to do that in the loving finals

Also because I was three rows behind Brodeur :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I mean it's not likely but you see it occasionally: Hoffman, Tyler Johnson, Callahan, Burrows, there are probably some others I'm missing.

e: Chad LaRose was a middle six guy who had a good career. Kevin Labanc is playing for the Sharks this year doing well. Blandisi is playing for the Devils and has a shot at being a middle six guy.

Troy Brouwer, David Desharnais too.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 1, 2017

• Locked thread