Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I do like abstract costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That one is too obscure for me

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Phlegmish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rhD5AxjTn4

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/FRzIUVz.mp4

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phlegmish posted:

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

:3:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/DARUSSIANBADGER/status/1719412595646713938

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That face is perfect

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I live in Boston and it puts a smile on my face every time this dingus gets memed.

The playground where that happened is really nice, btw. Just not meant for adults, let alone cops.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

That guy has a face to play Dewey Crow from Justified.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/raqsegal/status/1720804904967565518

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Phlegmish posted:

We can go more obscure (Los Angeles peeps represent)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/heyloujones/status/1717978273987133563

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I love seeing all Harrys DuBois.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That cosplay is totally disco.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

By popular demand posted:

That cosplay is totally HARD CORE

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Is it though?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://i.imgur.com/smAzRx0.mp4

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Hey man, disparaging your partner in posting is not disco.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

By popular demand posted:

Hey man, disparaging your partner in posting is not disco.

Look at this guy who doesn't get it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

A couple weeks back, our small town had its second annual renaissance fair, and this is what I wore to emcee the event.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pretty sweet! Wandering wise man vibes (don't know if it's an actual character as my knowledge of most pop culture is shamefully limited)

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

It's my approach to a medieval Franciscan friar, so I'd say you guessed about right!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

El Fideo posted:

It's my approach to a medieval Franciscan friar, so I'd say you guessed about right!

Yes, it's the most confused with the Jedi group of people after all.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Presumably emcee as in the Monk of Ceremonies?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

El Fideo posted:

I'd mentally guessed Friar Tuck holy poo poo lmao.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

El Fideo posted:

A couple weeks back, our small town had its second annual renaissance fair, and this is what I wore to emcee the event.

I think you look rather dashing.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ariong posted:

I think you look rather dashing.

>GIVE KERREK A COLD ONE

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I dunno, I can't help but think you're gonna welcome me into the Harvester Lodge. :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
You put on an eyepatch and just be near birds, you're basically the mythological depiction of Odin.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I'm glad you all like it! Thanks for the good words. Considering it started as a sheet and a couple pillowcases, I'm pretty pleased with how it went.

The dyeing was the most bewildering part. The sheets started off as a light green, and I used a very deep brown dye on them, but they came out that neutral gray. The weird thing is, that's the color I'd have wanted, if I thought I could manage it, because Franciscan friars were supposed to use the cheapest possible undyed wool. So I failed at the color I was settling for, and wound up with the color I actually wanted?

I'm particularly chuffed with how the walking stick turned out. I didn't want to wear a wooden cross. A because that's a bit boring, and B it's too close to current religious practice. So, I figured a walking stick carved with crosses as a devotional object would be cool, and started looking up as many early christian symbols and crosses as I could find. I'm dogshit with a dremel, but the staining afterwards hides a lot of mistakes. My photographer/Dad got a couple good shots of the detail on it.

I also need to make a better ice vest than the one I had this year, which made me look a bit lumpy, though I'm not wearing it in these shots. It's not an optional item at a ren fair in tropical weather. I might be a knight next year, if I can find a satisfying way to fake chain mail, but we'll see.

Thanks again for being cool folks!

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

El Fideo posted:

I also need to make a better ice vest than the one I had this year, which made me look a bit lumpy, though I'm not wearing it in these shots. It's not an optional item at a ren fair in tropical weather. I might be a knight next year, if I can find a satisfying way to fake chain mail, but we'll see.

Thanks again for being cool folks!

I've seen people buy a dark coloured loose cable knit sweater and dry brush some silver metallic paint on the high surfaces. Actually pretty convincing for how simple it is. Hope this helps!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

shipwrek posted:

I've seen people buy a dark coloured loose cable knit sweater and dry brush some silver metallic paint on the high surfaces. Actually pretty convincing for how simple it is. Hope this helps!

Yeah, this is a legit low budget TV/movie technique.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Yeah, but see the comment about a tropical climate. An ice vest is good and all, but a sweater might be taking it too far. I might try interlocking EVA foam.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tropical climate and it's super hot in November...are you from Brazil or the Southern Cone, by any chance?

I always thought Renaissance fairs were an interesting tradition, we don't really have them in OG Europe, at least where I live. I think I'd enjoy attending one.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

have you considered getting some more dudes and recreating the GAMMA KNIFE music video, and if not then why?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Phlegmish posted:

Tropical climate and it's super hot in November...are you from Brazil or the Southern Cone, by any chance?

I always thought Renaissance fairs were an interesting tradition, we don't really have them in OG Europe, at least where I live. I think I'd enjoy attending one.

Not a bad guess, but I'm actually in Hawai'i. The coast I live on tends towards hot and humid when it's not pouring rain, which is why my choice for this first costume was "basically a large bag." Good coverage for the sun, lots of airflow.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

El Fideo posted:

Yeah, but see the comment about a tropical climate. An ice vest is good and all, but a sweater might be taking it too far. I might try interlocking EVA foam.

Having worn a fair amount of EVA foam in all sorts of ways I wouldn't call it any cooler than a loose fitting sweater. I have done fake patches of EVA mail to cover armpits or neck to simulate a full shirt of mail under armour. So much lighter and less bulky. Hope you find something that works! Are cooling shirts/undergarments getting any cheaper? Been a minute since I wore anything like that and they were really pricey back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Have you tried the Eva chainmail that's loopy squiggles woven together? When I visualize it in my head, there are a lot of gaps to let off steam, but I haven't tried it.

Cooling vests are still pretty expensive, $60 at the minimum. I made mine by sewing socks onto a blanket and then putting aliexpress ice packs into the socks. Kept me comfortable for a solid two hours, but the look was a bit lumpy, and changing the ice packs was a chore. Absolutely better than not having it, but I think I can do better.