Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a youtube trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQTuW3sMypQ

VendaGoat posted:

Think it'll suck?

SyFy already did a full 'reality TV' series on cosplay before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9kyaT6XkQY

.... which wasn't great. Their movie costume special effects show Face Off is much more successful and it looks like Cosplay Melee is based pretty closely on that format so hopefully it'll work better.

Are the costumes in Cosplay Melee actually based on anything or are they new creations? I didn't recognise anything in the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Probably. These shows have a history of trying to drive the cast to conflict just for ratings, which the cast aren't gonna do because they're emotionally-stable individuals. Nevermind being professional about their work ethic.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Are the costumes in Cosplay Melee actually based on anything or are they new creations? I didn't recognise anything in the trailer.

I guess that's an interesting copyright question so maybe easier to make it all original, but seems to me like that's missing a big ol' hook there. Having nerds pull out obscure characters and embodying them would be cool. Otherwise, yeah - why not just make it another Face-Off?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

.... which wasn't great. Their movie costume special effects show Face Off is much more successful and it looks like Cosplay Melee is based pretty closely on that format so hopefully it'll work better.

Oh god, I remember hero's of cosplay. I could not stand the forced drama. I knew that show wouldn't make it past season one.

Face off I still watch and really enjoy it. This season, with the previous artists on, has been a entertaining watch. Despite Glen Hentrick being a fat blob of a judge. Ve and Neville make up for him in a big way.

As for the cosplays. Yah it will probably all be new creations, unless they get a license for a specific character. Main stream television and copyrighted characters would be no bueno for SyFy. And let's be honest, anyone who has seen a SyFy original movie knows this station doesn't have the coin for anything mainstream.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DON'T STARTLE THE loving WITCH! :stonk:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Probably. These shows have a history of trying to drive the cast to conflict just for ratings, which the cast aren't gonna do because they're emotionally-stable individuals. Nevermind being professional about their work ethic.

SYFy's Face Off show really avoids cast conflict and goes the opposite way instead where they're always keen to jump in to help each other and offer advice or a shoulder to cry on so hopefully this show will follow suit.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I love Face Off for bringing us this monstrosity from an anime themed episode.

But to stay on track, here's some dope King of Fighters cosplay

K'

Ryuji Yamazaki

Billy Kane

Rugal

Terry Bogard

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
2B...

... Or not 2B.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

2B...

... Or not 2B.

What are they doing in a Sugar Mill?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VendaGoat posted:

What are they doing in a Sugar Mill?

Destroying robots, duh. Not like humans have been there for a couple thousand years.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Liar Lyre posted:

Terry Bogard

this bothers me far more than it should

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Alaois posted:

What bothers me more is how hard it is to find decent Terry Bogards that aren't women.

And here's some dude Terrys

Bonus Garou Terry

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Alaois posted:

Hot and bothered?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Liar Lyre posted:

What bothers me more is how hard it is to find decent Terry Bogards that aren't women.

And here's some dude Terrys

Bonus Garou Terry

This one was posted in the last thread, and it's still really good despite missing the vest

https://twitter.com/Billy_Blue_8/status/800257230595424256?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

e: oh hey there was a second tweet

https://twitter.com/tsuru_tsuru1013/status/801383956591480833

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Liar Lyre posted:

Billy Kane

This is a young Otis Lee Crenshaw and nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

For a second I thought that was the Washington Monument in the background, and I was trying to figure out where in DC this could be.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

That ape seems pretty impressed

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Two bows and no stern? Immersion ruined.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

LingcodKilla posted:

Two bows and no stern? Immersion ruined.

As impressive as that cosplay is, Kantai Collection is garbage trash for hell weeaboos

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

As impressive as that cosplay is, Kantai Collection is garbage trash for hell weaboos

I'm guessing there should be a "Sproing" soon.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

As impressive as that cosplay is, Kantai Collection is garbage trash for hell weeaboos

It's also hilariously offensive when you know all of the Japanense ships used were infamous for various warcrimes and human rights violations against prisoners during WWII.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

VendaGoat posted:

I'm guessing there should be a "Sproing" soon.

I don't know what this is supposed to mean so I hope you get banned

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

I don't know what this is supposed to mean so I hope you get banned

Rude.

It's a reverse this.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
For the people from the last thread. The Supreme Court rendered its verdict on the cheerleading uniforms.

And if I am reading this correctly, the court didn't even want to loving touch the question of "What makes a cheerleader", they simply rendered a verdict on the design copyrights involved with production of clothing.

If I understand this correctly, you're safe to reproduce a cosplay of character, if and only if, you use design factors of your own. If you use even one already copyrighted item, the moment you attach it to the cosplay, it satisfies the test of copyright design.

In much easier to digest terms. If you take a polo shirt and sew a alligator, of your own design on it, you're fine. If you actually get an izod logo , which is a perfectly copyrighted design, and attach it to a polo, you're hosed.

The language that was used;

quote:

Even if respondents ultimately succeed in estab-
lishing a valid copyright in the surface decorations at
issue here, respondents have no right to prohibit any
person from manufacturing a cheerleading uniform of
identical shape, cut, and dimensions to the ones on which
the decorations in this case appear. They may prohibit
only the reproduction of the surface designs in any tangi-
ble medium of expression—a uniform or otherwise.

So grats Cosplayers! You actually have the right to continue to reproduce the work we all love. :)

VVV I also enjoyed it.

VendaGoat has a new favorite as of 21:42 on Mar 22, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Here's a youtube trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQTuW3sMypQ

I just watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. The costumes are 'inspired by' franchises (the theme for the first episode is 'space operas' like Star Wars, Star Trek and Guardians Of The Galaxy) and even though they've only got two days to complete their costumes the quality was pretty darned good. The contestants were all supportive of each other so there wasn't any lovely :siren:DRAMA:siren:, the 'industry' judges gave pretty good feedback. I'll be on board for the rest of the episodes.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

VendaGoat posted:

Oh god, I remember hero's of cosplay. I could not stand the forced drama. I knew that show wouldn't make it past season one.

It totally did have a 2nd season though, it was still stupid but they dialed back the fake drama a lottt. I hate watched the gently caress out of Heroes of Cosplay.

I didn't watch the first episode yet but Cosplay Melee looks way better, I have at least 3-4 friends who are competing on it. I myself am far too slow for speed challenges on TV haha.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

McPantserton posted:

It totally did have a 2nd season though, it was still stupid but they dialed back the fake drama a lottt. I hate watched the gently caress out of Heroes of Cosplay.

I didn't watch the first episode yet but Cosplay Melee looks way better, I have at least 3-4 friends who are competing on it. I myself am far too slow for speed challenges on TV haha.

Oh god, it did? :barf:

You'll like Cosplay Melee, it's all the fun, none of the drama. This version of the show understands they are dealing with pure creatives. A demographic that, folks let's be honest, can have a rather bad reaction to harsh criticism.

I'm glad they did their due diligence and are giving their audience what they desire.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Those last three are outstanding.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Wow. That's loving good!

Syncope
May 7, 2007

McPantserton posted:

I thought it was good. More of a Chopped competition so each episode is self contained. I don't know if I want more season long competitions....Steampunk'd was a drat dumpster fire.

Let us know which are your friends so we can silently curse the others from the comfort of our own homes.

I haven't cosplayed since like 2004, but here is me as a blue man in the middle a while ago. (Time stamp from is wrong, was probably 2006.)

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

VendaGoat posted:

Oh god, it did? :barf:

You'll like Cosplay Melee, it's all the fun, none of the drama. This version of the show understands they are dealing with pure creatives. A demographic that, folks let's be honest, can have a rather bad reaction to harsh criticism.

I'm glad they did their due diligence and are giving their audience what they desire.

Season 2 dialed back the super competition heavy fake drama and "THIS CONTEST COULD KICKSTART MY CAREEEEER" a lot, it's not terrible. Just still prettttttty fake hahha.

I watched Cosplay Melee last night and I did really like it! I'd way rather watch people build poo poo. The costumes turned out super good, especially for how fast they had to turn them over, I'm so crappy at fast building.

Syncope posted:

I thought it was good. More of a Chopped competition so each episode is self contained. I don't know if I want more season long competitions....Steampunk'd was a drat dumpster fire.

Let us know which are your friends so we can silently curse the others from the comfort of our own homes.

The people I remember for sure are Becka Noel, Dhareza Maramis, and Lisa Rosenberg--I feel like I'm forgetting people but I can't seem to find a full list of competitors

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

From the guy who did the rad Hulkbuster previously

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/nYYuRve.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

When you nutted but she still

don't be a loving creep

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Mar 26, 2017