Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

El Estrago Bonito posted:

That's just an issue with costuming in general. I remember reading a thing written by some prop guy who worked on LotR and they talked about how when they were building all the Rohirim costumes they basically sent all the extras out to go roll around in fields and play football just to make them look lived in and worn. But he also ruined my dreams when he revealed that most of the non hero prop chainmail was made from rings of PVC pipe.

It'll disappoint you even more to know that before LOTR most prop chainmail was knitted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Snatch Duster posted:

I'm the Zoo's rotating exit door.

It's the only way you're ever going to get an iron hard prong near a woman.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

What happened to Venda?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Grem posted:

It'd be easier my way. I could do everything done in this thread better.

Apart from posting, it seems.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gann Jerrod posted:

If you don't know who this is, read this.

I'm not sure it's even possible to read that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

Even before he's kidnapped in 1 he's such an alcoholic that he is drinking whiskey while making a sales demonstration in a combat zone.

That comes across more as "insouciant playboy". And Stark's not suffering when he's making the suit in the cave even though he's not drinking.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

davidspackage posted:

To me, the appeal of cosplay is seeing a character normally seen on a page or on a screen, realized in real life. Adding anything beyond stuff like a thrown fireball or something kind of diminishes that.

Here's how I look at it. Joe makes a Tron suit with full practical illumination: obviously cosplay, and awesome cosplay at that. Joe makes a Tron suit then adds the illumination in digital post: not as awesome, but still cosplay. Joe puts on a green leotard then turns it into a Tron suit in digital post: not cosplay, because the costume doesn't exist.

Likewise, body art isn't cosplay. It's just an artist's picture of the character, except painted onto someone's skin instead of a printed page.

Meanwhile, here's the couple I met at a John Carpenter gig last Halloween playing Snake Plissken and Maggie. Apologies for not having a full length shot, but the gig was still letting out and there wasn't enough room. They were authentic from head to foot, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

Ah, right then- I'm not familiar with Banksy's work, so it flew right over my head.

He didn't throw it that hard.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dead Jedi posted:

Serious question

Would this be considered racist? Against who?

Twi'leks.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

What the gently caress is going on in the background of that last photo?

It can't be stranger than what is going on in the foreground.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Alaois posted:

that's definitely a Topical Halloween Costume but the Say Nothing bot parsed it as cosplay so it deposited it here

At least it's a) adult, b) male and c) fully dressed this time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Fatmen American may have to be issued a rascal pretty soon.

Come on, how is Bucky going to fit on the pillion?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

Liquid Snake pulled it off :colbert:

Shockingly there is not a lot of cosplay of the dude who is shirtless, thin and muscular, and blonde.

Good cosplayers do lean into their body type, yes.

On the vague subject of cosplay: what general type do you enjoy most - superskilled "this looks pro" stuff, tryhard ingenuity, or "I was born braindead but I won't let it stop me" poo poo that is funny?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

You left out the one where it’s all boobs.

You have to have a cos, or it's not cosplay.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JEEVES420 posted:

When you get back from war and having trouble adjusting to civilian life..."Honey can you take out the trash?"

Luckily, in the grim dark future of the 41st Millennium the war is eternal.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Sorry, I haven't read many cape comics in a long time, only followed the movies really, didn't know.

I only know of one, but you'll know of him too because it's Sam Wilson AKA Falcon. He took up the mantle after Steve's serum stopped working and he became old for a time. And it's going to be funny as gently caress when it happens in the movies after Avengers: End Game (not a spoiler - Chris Evans' contract is up and he's said he's retiring from the role).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

There was also Isaiah Bradley, who was part of a secret (super racist) project during WWII to replicate the process that turned Steve into Captain America.

The racist part was because the government didn't really care about the test subjects actually surviving the process.

Of course, yes. He's the grandfather of the Cap analogue in the Young Avengers, isn't he?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Um, why is Wonder Woman cutting down all these Batman villains?? :goonsay:

"Bloody demarcation, mate!" - Batman

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's adorable.

The obvious next move is to power the fans and have them cool her while she's wearing the costume.

No, the obvious next move is to lock her in your attic and use her to mine Bitcoins.

(Disclaimer: I have never mined cryptocurrency, it's a mug's game.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Elfface posted:

And yet, you make no claims regarding locking women in your attic...

Well, of course not.

I live in a block of flats.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Wasnt it previously named "Its a small world"?

The Undiscovered Country.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

He's part of the gay agenda. He's here to kill all the straights and leave only gays alive in his wake.

Really? I've only seen Friday, Next Friday and Friday After Next, I don't want to skip nine movies ahead.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Stan Taylor posted:

Must not work downtown. The streets were littered with anime teen scum.

And you'll look down and whisper... "No".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

the_steve posted:

He just may be the smartest man on the internet.

Yeah, he's getting people to post his fetish for going shirtless all over the Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

the_steve posted:

For real. I mean, the favorite person in this very thread is the guy who glues pepperoni to his rear end to pull off cosplay. Low-cost cosplay is cool and good.
Let people have fun.

I wish people would stop posting that low-cost cosplay guy. He started out fine, but it's become increasingly obvious that it's become his fetish rather than his hobby. He's getting half naked all the time now, even in cosplays like that Trump one where he's fully dressed.