Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

say nothing is the best earnest poster in this thread and snatch duster is the best overall poster

lingcodkilla is the worst, followed by vendagoat

I think the weird guy who exclusively responds to those 2 is probably up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even better there's a female Templar character in the game who has a whole bunch of assassiney animations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This guy got too many upvotes on Reddit so he shouldn't be allowed to beat me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rodbeard posted:

I only saw one episode of that terrible cosplay reality show Syfy had, and one of the contestants they followed on the show actually did have a hollywood special effects person build part of the costume.

Most of the cast of that show don't enter competitions or anything though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fury Road probably could also have done that stuff in CGI and nobody would have noticed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Uh yeah, some folks would have. Because cgi cars are visibly different from real ones. Condolences for your malfunctioning eyes.

Fury Road already has plenty of computer inserted cars.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

What I was really thinking was a monetized booth that had a chromakey background that you could change to whatever someone wanted (copyrights excluded) so forest glen, to city rooftop, to medieval castle, to clouds in the sky. Either photo realistic or cartoony or comic book style. Have a little prop stool or box to sit/stand/lay on to simulate flying/hovering. Send people a digital copy for a couple of bucks or send them with a good quality printout for a few bucks more.

I went to 2 cons this year and both had setups just like that. They were on the show floor like any other vendor, so I assume they just signed up and bought their space.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Sep 19, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

I think I've seen enough Jack cosplay to ask - Do they make official pre-tattooed body suits/sleeves, or is everyone customizing sleeves? If the second, how? Sharpie?

Some have done makeup on skin (presumably for controlled photo shoots and not for walking around a convention), some stencil and airbrush, some hand tracing, I'm sure by now there have been printed suits since that became such a big thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And sometimes the costume's only ever going to be worn in a studio and being able to move in it isn't that important.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everybody knew that guy was going to win for like months now. That costume is crazy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She's a 4 year old computer generated image. She only looks 16.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One of them does the Patreon "boudoir" thing but otherwise all clear.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I already forgot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The difference is just 2 ridges on each shoulder?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samus being 6’3 and 200 pounds was always a mistake, that was meant to be when she’s armored up. It’s a Japanese game that rewards you for beating it fast by putting her in her underwear, should have been obvious in hindsight.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, Super Metroid’s American promo material and guide and stuff were all made with that mistake. Nintendo Japan told them 6’3/200 out of the suit so they made art appropriate to that, but it’s meant to be in the suit.

As is often the case, the mistake is better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's real commitment.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is pretty drat impressive.

https://twitter.com/zibartas/status/1011552029569937410

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jedit posted:

Good cosplayers do lean into their body type, yes.

On the vague subject of cosplay: what general type do you enjoy most - superskilled "this looks pro" stuff, tryhard ingenuity, or "I was born braindead but I won't let it stop me" poo poo that is funny?

You left out the one where it’s all boobs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I'm not reading the books myself to verify whether this is a real quote though.

How small is this book that it can only fit 9 words a line?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cleretic posted:

It's just nerds being horny that's kinda ruining that. The original Bowsette design with a shoulderless dress was good, because it actually does fit with Bowser and isn't really 'skimpy' so much as 'slightly more revealing than Peach's usual'. The one that's basically just lingerie sucks.

The other good one I liked was a Booette that was a really classic 'cute witch' look. And Booettes are kinda shameful otherwise because there's there's nothing fitting Boo or Peach in their design.

Leotard Bowsette may be based on Olympics Peach. That Peach design is popular because nerds are horny.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have a friend who is a somewhat well known cosplayer now and has done projects with Jessica Nigri before, and she has nothing but nice things to say about her (and her boyfriend, since the internet likes to say poo poo about him just as much as her.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Daredevil never wears the ropes with the red lined shirt 2/10

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Zendaya’s not even Mary Jane Watson so it’s extra stupid. She’s a whole new character with the same initials.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Azhais posted:

That last one has some weird perspective going on or something, kinda weird in some way I can't put my finger on

They each have one foot on a step, or something roughly that height.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Every time I've seen someone in a giant costume like that at a con they usually spend the whole time standing in the corner of an atrium.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamesman posted:

As a side note, everyone should really be following Ming-Na Wen on Twitter and Insta because your days will be filled happiness.

Oh I read her company name there as WeNever until the bottom part.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well he couldn't leave it on a chair or something, it might get stolen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The actual convention itself is small and not very significant. You've probably never even heard of the guests.

Nobody buys a ticket and they just do cosplay stuff in the waterpark and fields nearby.

Or did until this year. They did a new hotel lottery thing and that mostly killed their whole scene.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People have been trying to make Yeticon the new ColossalCon but I’m not sure how well that will go since it’s 2 hours from the nearest airport.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That was all of a week ago, someone must have cosplayed as her by now

Yes, actually.

I don't remember where I saw it now though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Grem posted:

The story is she saw it at her grandparents house or something and they kept asking if she wanted to stop watching but she wasn't scared at all and loved every second. Kids are surprising sometimes.

Jump scares don't often work on kids that young.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Calgary Expo was in April.

In Canada April is Winter 2.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Basticle posted:

I mean photoshop is a thing

Yeah they've done some stuff to the light/colors to make it look like WoW's cutscenes do. There's unedited shots on her Twitter too and they're no less impressive though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It only works about 50% of the time even when you're Ryan Reynolds.

Just about everyone at a con hates Deadpool cosplayers. They're the worst.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I was at this con this weekend (Louisville.) The guy was amazing.

He entered the main costume contest and did a speech about impeachments and Charleston Chew. He ended up winning the owner's prize.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

10 Beers posted:

Aww, man. I didn't know there was a con in Louisville this weekend. :(

I flew in because I was helping some friends and basically only saw my hotel and the area immediately around the convention center the whole weekend, so I don’t know how well they advertised.

Stan Taylor posted:

Must not work downtown. The streets were littered with anime teen scum.

....oh god, that’s your downtown?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Who said anything about clever?

Screaming Idiot.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

you joke but I really considered doing something like that, with like a gopro or something, to make the optimus prime costume I made really really big with a big fake head on top. stilts, arm extensions, the whole nine yards

it obviously collapsed into just a guy in a bunch of boxes filled with padding with an optimus prime helmet on, but, well, dreams and all that

That's what they do with Big Bird, although the monitor in that case is connected with the set's cameras so the performer is seeing their own acting in 3rd person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You're probably thinking of Nessa. That's a different character called Bea.