Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Speaking of playoffs, am I to assume that the eligibility rules stay the same despite the expanding league? Still top 8 from each conference?

Those Atlanta kits look sick but they'll never be complete until they get the Coca-cola sponsorship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Time for a another Fire season, maybe this year we won't end up in last place.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

:yeah:

Hopefully I can make a home game this year.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

shirts and skins posted:

Speaking of playoffs, am I to assume that the eligibility rules stay the same despite the expanding league? Still top 8 from each conference?

Top 6, and yes afaik

Sicke
Jul 12, 2013

Honestly I just wanted a seal picture
Am I the only one surprised that Atlanta's sponsor is not Home Depot?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Sicke posted:

Am I the only one surprised that Atlanta's sponsor is not Home Depot?

Things taht should be atlanta sponsors before whatever they have:

Coca Cola
Delta
Home Depot
Any brand of cough syrup
Phillies blunts
A picture of a 1997 Chrysler Lebaron
Magic City
The Claremont Lounge

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
Austin still doesn't have a team (prob wont), guess i'll watch some loving dynamo games

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I was going to say "just go to Aztex games", but... yeah...

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

I give it a 50-50 shot between you and Minnesota

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

shirts and skins posted:

Those Atlanta kits look sick but they'll never be complete until they get the Coca-cola sponsorship.

This is the first and maybe only time I have ever agreed with you. I would have sold my first born son for that golden coke logo. Instead it's an insurance, which I guess is only in the second shittiest tier of jersey sponsors in this ponzi scheme of a league.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

You'd think the measly $2-3m/year for kit sponsorship would be a no brainer for Coke considering the absolute fuckton they spend on ads every year.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Cooe doesn't want to tarnish their brand with a lovely expansion team that has 5 fans

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

I give it a 50-50 shot between you and Minnesota

Bridgeview are much better than last year and made some good signings IMO. They were poor in the first half but showed up in 2nd and it got them a point.

Minnesota is just not up to MLS level and they will be in the bottom the entire year. Atlanta built their team much more intelligently.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Great start to the revs season, we only have one loss, and only one goal allowed! Surely this is a sign of good things to come.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

silvergoose posted:

Great start to the revs season, we only have one loss, and only one goal allowed! Surely this is a sign of good things to come.

How did the Revs look anyway, total poo poo or worse? I can't remember a season when the Revs looked like a competent team coming out of the offseason. Every year it's a total slodge to being halfway good and then maybe really good and then crap again.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gigi Galli posted:

How did the Revs look anyway, total poo poo or worse? I can't remember a season when the Revs looked like a competent team coming out of the offseason. Every year it's a total slodge to being halfway good and then maybe really good and then crap again.

Keeper looked pretty dreadful. Not sure why exactly Knighton wasn't in.

Beyond that, probably not *worse* than total poo poo? They did only lose one nil.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
FC Dallas

Last Year
2016 was the most successful year in club history. Dallas won the Supporters Shield for the first time ever and the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup for the first time since 1997. We had a serious chance at winning MLS Cup until midfield playmaker Mauro Diaz ("the magic little unicorn") tore his Achilles at the very end of the season, leading to us playing some weird 3-5-2 formation against Seattle in the playoffs, leading to Seattle killing us, leading to Seattle winning the Cup. So I guess that's on us.

The Stadium
Toyota Stadium (formerly Pizza Hut Park) is approximately 25 miles from Dallas. It's chiefly known for being built below ground level, meaning you don't really get a breeze through there during the summer, and you will sweat from parts of your body that you did not know had sweat glands. Also, this picture is slightly out of date; the south stand (far end of the picture) is being transformed into the home of the National Soccer Hall of Fame, built under the stands.

The Team
Center back Matt Hedges has played for the USMNT several times, and center back Walker Zimmerman just got his first cap. Central midfielder Kellyn Acosta has a few caps as well, although one of them was at left back (RIP Jurgen). Mauro Diaz will be out for possibly the entire season, and we signed former RSL playmaker Javier Morales to replace him; Morales is 37 years old and declining, but he may be able to hold things down well enough. Maxi Urruti is a workhorse striker who didn't score enough goals last season to justify being the lone striker in a 4-2-3-1, but he's joined this year by Cristian Colman, a DP striker from Paraguay. Also new this year are Roland Lamah, a fast winger from Belgium; and Hernan Grana, a right back who has looked pretty good so far.

Front row, left to right: Hernan Grana; Carlos Gruezo; Roland Lamah; Kellyn Acosta; Michael Barrios
Back row, left to right: Maxi Urruti; Cristian Colman; Matt Hedges; Chris Seitz; Walker Zimmerman; Maynor Figureroa.

Key Storylines
- How will FCD replace Mauro Diaz? Do Javi Morales's desiccated legs have another year left in them, or will someone else (Paxton Pomykal, perhaps) step up?
- Play your kids! FCD has signed seventeen (17) homegrown players, more than any other team, most of whom have gotten first-team experience. Kellyn Acosta has been a starter for several years, as was Victor Ulloa; Jesse Gonzalez is our goalkeeper of the future once he finally stops having the yips (but he's also only 20 or 21); Aaron Guillen and Jacori Hayes made the bench yesterday; Coy Craft is currently off with the US U-20 team; the aforementioned Paxton Pomykal has loads of talent; Jesus Ferreira is the son of former FCD midfielder and league MVP David Ferreira. It is not an exaggeration to say FCD is super-stacked with super-young talent.
- What formation? With both Maxi Urruti and Cristian Colman on the roster, FCD has the talent to play a two-striker formation - and really the obligation to do so as well, since Urruti underperformed last year and Colman is new to the league. In yesterday's win over the LA Galaxy, Dallas played what might have been a 4-4-2 (according to mlssoccer.com) or might have been a 4-2-2-2 (according to the MLS app). I will say that, on Urruti's goal, he benefited hugely from having Colman nearby to drag the second defender away; that goal would not have been scored if Urruti didn't have a strike partner.

Why root for Dallas?
The team plays attractive soccer, gives young players a chance, and isn't New York or Los Angeles. Head coach Oscar Pareja is a great guy and a brilliant tactician. Also our away shirts this season look rad:

Which led to a chorus of Houston supporters shrieking "That's the only way you could get stars on your shirt!" while crying over the fact that they finished last, dead last, dead stinking last in the western conference last season while watching Dallas lift two trophies.

TheNakedJimbo fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 5, 2017

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Thank loving god this is the last year I have to go to games at RFK

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

Gigi Galli posted:

Both sides looked awful, and the Revs especially looked like they always do early on, like they'd never met each other before

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Popero posted:

Both sides looked awful, and the Revs especially looked like they always do early on, like they'd never met each other before

Classic Jay

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Fancy, make the DC post already so I can start complaining about our bad and dumb team

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Fancy, make the DC post already so I can start complaining about our bad and dumb team

DC United has my favorite lovely journeyman MLS'er in Neagle.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Here you go OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_F_e4Bznzk

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I placed a bet on the Quakes and they won. Hail satan

Welcome back to this dumb league of FC Uniteds

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Welcome to GBS posted:

This is the first and maybe only time I have ever agreed with you. I would have sold my first born son for that golden coke logo. Instead it's an insurance, which I guess is only in the second shittiest tier of jersey sponsors in this ponzi scheme of a league.

This is an outstanding backhanded compliment, I am genuinely honored

Anyway, I guess one benefit of being in a country a long history of puritanical gambling laws is that we don't see MANSIONBET or whatever on half the MLS jerseys. Guess it'd be Draft Kings or whatever over here.

Ungratek posted:

Thank loving god this is the last year I have to go to games at RFK

I've been to three games and I'm looking into mesothelioma lawyers.

Lot 8 rules though, shame you're losing that setup. Maybe you can move the cornhole boards to the War College lawn.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
New England Revolution a.k.a. "The Revs"

Who Are They?
The team Robert Kraft owns. No, not that one. Yes, the one that never wins championships.

Last Year
The Revs had a very bad, no good year in 2016. They lost some decent players in Kevin Alston (who went to Orlando City) and Jermaine Jones (to Colorado) at the start of the year. Additionally, in August they traded FW Charlie Davies to Philadelphia, which sucks because I personally really liked Charlie Davies and I loved saying his name like Dave Chappelle says "Charlie Murphy" even more.

The Revs finished 7th in the Eastern conference and 14th out of 20 overall in MLS, failing to qualify for the playoffs for the first time since 2012. However, they did make it to the finals of the U.S. Open Cup, a tournament that nobody gives a gently caress about. Unfortunately, they couldn't win that either.

The Stadium
Gillette Stadium is the home of the Revs, located about 45 minutes southwest of Boston and practically in the middle of nowhere. They share this stadium with the NFL's New England Patriots, the team that Robert Kraft spends most of his money on.

The Team
Strikers Teal Bunbury, Kei Kamara, and Juan Agudelo are expected to see lots of playing time. Perennial midfield favorite Lee Nguyen is expected to have a pretty good year and to score a few cool goals as he usually does. Kelyn Rowe, Diego Fagundez, Scott Caldwell, Daigo Kobayashi, and Xavier Kouassi are the main core of midfielders alongside him. In their own half, Andrew Farrell, Chris Tierney, and Je-Vaughn Watson are the primary defenders, with either Brad Knighton or Cody Cropper goalkeeping. Long-time Revolution keeper Bobby Shuttleworth left the team in 2016, so the GK situation is a bit hosed at the moment. We'll see as the season progresses who comes out the top keeper.

Key Storylines
-Robert Kraft has expressed interest in building a soccer-specific stadium for the Revolution somewhere closer to Boston. This has been an ongoing story for the past 5 years and no progress has really been made, so expect this lame fart of a key storyline to stagnate as the year goes on.
-Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
-Maybe this year the Revs will do good? But probably not.

Why To Root For The Revolution
You really, really like the color combination of red, white, and blue. Or you hate the badge design of pretty much every MLS team's logo and prefer something that looks a bit like crayon scrawl combined with Word clipart. Or you are simply sadistic and enjoy watching a decent team struggle with mediocrity and a front office that doesn't give a poo poo.

Home Kit:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/ATLUTD/status/838586502913396736

Conartist
Aug 15, 2004
I did it the first year, but someone else did it last year. I guess I'll come out of retirement and do it again.

Orlando City Soccer Club

Hey, have you heard about our new stadium?

It's new and it's the best Soccer Specific Stadium in the United States(TM).

Last year
Whereas some teams suffer from a sophomore slump, the second year of Orlando City Soccer Club pretty much just mirrored the first. it wasn't great.

The Good - We finally got to see Kevin Molino play and he did pretty great.

The Bad - The well-beloved manager from the USL days got sacked and replaced with a new manager, who himself was sacked the year before from another MLS team, barely halfway into the season and we still failed to make the playoffs.

What to look forward to this year
Have you heard about that new stadium?

Otherwise, we're trusting Jason Kreis, former NYCFC manager, to build this team into something it has never been: a playoff contender. He quit a bunch of guys, sent away fan favorite Kevin Molino to Minnesota (he missed his old coach I guess), and we exported the best hair in the league (Brek Shea) to Canada. The defense was reworked so hopefully it's better. Wouldn't want to have to learn a bunch of new names just so we can go back to shouting angrily about how awful they are.

The Stars
Kaka

He's the biggest star. He says he'll try this year.

Cyle Larin

Top scorer for Orlando City for the past 2 years. He'll probably be the top scorer again.

Joe Bendik

He replaced fan favorite Tally Hall last year in goal after Tally finished the previous season injured and was unceremoniously waived. Quickly became a fan favorite himself. Was a part of the worst defense in the league as far as goal against, but that usually gets blamed on the defenders in front of him.

The rest of the team will hopefully do its job and achieve a few more wins than the previous seasons. Hopefully one or more of the other youth players develop into something special. Eventually we'll get rid of the players that we still have that aren't ever going to see the field again to clear-up some salary space for new and better players.

Why support this team?
Did you know we got this great new stadium this year?

Also we're the home of Mickey Mouse. Happiest place on earth and all that.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Is New England the only team left still using their original 1996 crest?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Anyone know the backstory on this

https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/838578367305760768

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

They were probably yelling "Puto!" on when the opposing keeper were taking goal kicks.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

highme posted:

They were probably yelling "Puto!" on when the opposing keeper were taking goal kicks.

Both keepers, actually

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

highme posted:

Why don't they shout "You're poo poo ahhhhh" like the rest of the English speaking world

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

They should yell, "You suck! rear end in a top hat!" It has a nice cadence.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

The puto thing is some of the worst white people non-sense ever and I hate it

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Shrapnig posted:

Is New England the only team left still using their original 1996 crest?

Last time I checked they were, but I could be wrong.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
So NYCFC fans got arrested for attempting to steal seats from the Orlando stadium and assaulting an officer.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Last time I checked they were, but I could be wrong.

Think that's right. IIRC Columbus' Strong Construction Dudes logo was the second to last of the originals.

MLS original logos are almost all hilarious, incidentally.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Seltzer posted:

So NYCFC fans got arrested for attempting to steal seats from the Orlando stadium and assaulting an officer.
Not just garden-variety assault either: multiple people punching an officer and IIRC kicking him while he was prone on the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Kaka out six weeks.

• Locked thread