Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Gigi Galli posted:

"Extreme weather" lmao, there's like 2 inches of snow on the ground for fucks sake.

It's not the snow--one of the Revs' best playoff games looked like it does outside now--it's that whole "10 degrees F at kickoff plus 20mph winds" thing. I'm disappointed, because I really liked the idea of making Kaká-less Florida Team play in that, but I know it's an expensive pain in the rear end to postpone. It wasn't like they asked Alexa for a weather report and decided "meh, not feelin' it." Waiting to hear back if I should take the pennants for tomorrow and just scribble in the new date with a sharpie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Hoover Dam posted:

It's not the snow--one of the Revs' best playoff games looked like it does outside now--it's that whole "10 degrees F at kickoff plus 20mph winds" thing. I'm disappointed, because I really liked the idea of making Kaká-less Florida Team play in that, but I know it's an expensive pain in the rear end to postpone. It wasn't like they asked Alexa for a weather report and decided "meh, not feelin' it." Waiting to hear back if I should take the pennants for tomorrow and just scribble in the new date with a sharpie.

I've played in worse!!!

Joking aside I'm sure there's a good reason for this, I imagine these decisions are not taken lightly. I vote for sharpie edit in any case, it'll be funny.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Hoover Dam posted:

Is the NFL schedule out yet? A part of me giggles at the idea of soccer lines at Gillette on 9/3, even though I'm absolutely certain they will find a way to avoid that.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Dallan Invictus posted:

Is the NFL schedule out yet? A part of me giggles at the idea of soccer lines at Gillette on 9/3, even though I'm absolutely certain they will find a way to avoid that.

The NFL season starts the Thursday after Labor Day, so I don't think there's an issue there.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

quote:

As our Facebook feeds become saturated with video, the company is expanding its reach with more live sports. According to a report from The Wall Street Journal, Facebook has signed a deal with Major League Soccer and Univision that will allow it to live stream at least 22 regular-season games during the 2017 season. Facebook gains exclusive, English-language rights to these games that are typically only shown on Univision in Spanish. The first live-streamed game will feature Atlanta United hosting the Chicago Fire on March 18.

MLS will also produce 40 "Matchday Live" shows, featuring commentary and analysis of the games to be played that day, that will be broadcast on the official MLS Facebook page. These shows are exclusive to Facebook, and the live-stream broadcasts of the soccer matches will have Facebook-specific commentators, graphics, and social-media engagement through Q&A and polling features. The partnership appears to be twofold: Facebook gets exclusive rights to popular soccer matches while MLS and Univision get to use the social media platform to interact with younger fans in new ways.

Facebook is getting into this soccer broadcasting game. Along with the Liga MX streams, this is pretty great. I'd still really like to see MLS produce a highlight and analysis show akin to BBC's Match of the Day.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Didn't England get special dispensation for an extra day of the January transfer window because of 'hardship' when they got 1" of snow?

edit: Yep!

quote:

It is also possible that leagues may extend the transfer deadline, either on a league-wide basis or for a specific club, based on certain extenuating circumstances. In 2009, for example, the Premier League gave Arsenal an extra 24 hours to wrap up a transfer for Andrey Arshavin after snow over the United Kingdom on deadline day disrupted negotiations.

B.B. Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 10, 2017

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Tigren posted:

Facebook is getting into this soccer broadcasting game. Along with the Liga MX streams, this is pretty great. I'd still really like to see MLS produce a highlight and analysis show akin to BBC's Match of the Day.

How does this affect MLS Live?

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

santanotreal posted:

Don't worry, it's still overpriced

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

santanotreal posted:

It does not affect MLS Live, because those games were already not going to be on MLS Live.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

santanotreal posted:

Ya, what the other people said. Nationally televised games, even if they were only on Univision in Spanish, are blacked out on MLS Live. Now you can watch them on Facebook.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Chicago has gotta have the best jersey sponsor, right? It's paint, so there's no ethical bullshit like with the MLMs or whatever, Valspar is kind of a cool, vaguely Viking name, and the wordmark itself isn't terribly intrusive.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

camoseven posted:

Chicago has gotta have the best jersey sponsor, right? It's paint, so there's no ethical bullshit like with the MLMs or whatever, Valspar is kind of a cool, vaguely Viking name, and the wordmark itself isn't terribly intrusive.

I Like Columbus's Barbasol for similar reasons, but lol shaving cream. Yellow jerseys are also better than red.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Alaskan Airlines is good, Timbers even get a painted plane to fly in.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Tigren posted:

I Like Columbus's Barbasol for similar reasons, but lol shaving cream. Yellow jerseys are also better than red.

Yea Barbasol was cool, and vaguely blue collar. Sadly the Crew are with Acura now, which is probably above average but not amazing.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The only bad part of being the redbulls the sickest team in the league is us constantly being on national tv which means I have to listen either alexi lalas or spanish commentary on half our games.

e- meant for gdt but whatever

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Tigren posted:

Barbasol is a cool logo but a bad product. I stopped using it a couple of weeks ago and my skin is way better. Turns out aerosol shaving cream isn't good for you? :shrug:

Anyway, I'm glad MLS has mostly avoided the really terrible kinds of sponsorships you see in Europe. PAYDAYLOANBET

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I'm not crazy, right? The 4 minute extended highlights on the league's site really did vanish? I went to look for them for today's earlier games but there were only the 2 minute videos up and all the extended ones from last weekend that I definitely did previously watch were nowhere to be found.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Visual Sneeze posted:

I'm not crazy, right? The 4 minute extended highlights on the league's site really did vanish? I went to look for them for today's earlier games but there were only the 2 minute videos up and all the extended ones from last weekend that I definitely did previously watch were nowhere to be found.

I don't know about on the mothership site, but I normally watch them on the MLS youtube channel.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

shirts and skins posted:

Anyway, I'm glad MLS has mostly avoided the really terrible kinds of sponsorships you see in Europe. PAYDAYLOANBET

I figure the PL's loan shark/bookmaker sponsors are the equivalent of MLS' pyramid scheme sponsors.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Chicago is.......good?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I find the Xbawks/Microsoft sponsorship for the Sounders to be pretty solid. Seems pretty unique and they seem to show up alot in the background of random microsoft commercials due to it.

Also screw Valdez I am happy we have Bruin.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Visual Sneeze posted:

They're certainly loving gone from MLSLive. I'm pretty pissed about it. I really don't want to watch condensed matches all the time. The 4 minute highlights were perfect.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
We all know FCD are the kings of "Play Your Kids," but last night was really next-level. On the road versus KC, Pareja started Jesse Gonzalez (HGP, age 21), Aaron Guillen (HGP, 23), Carlos Cermeńo (on loan, 21), Paxton Pomykal (HGP, 17!!), and Jacori Hayes (draft pick, 21). That's a huge vote of confidence, and the kids came away with a point.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

They're certainly loving gone from MLSLive. I'm pretty pissed about it. I really don't want to watch condensed matches all the time. The 4 minute highlights were perfect.

Check the smartphone app, they seem to be available there.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
The 2 minute highlights are available on mlssoccer.com and easily accessible from the match page.

The 4 minute "extented highlights" are available on their mobile app, which is so poo poo they have to put the only good thing they produce on it. You can't get to them from the match page either, you have to scroll past all the individual goal videos in the "Goals & Highlights" section to find them.

The 20 minute condensed games are available on MLS Live.

Edit: The funny thing is, if you intercept the traffic from the app, you can see the extended highlight pages still exist, but they explicitly deny permission to them: http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/03/12/san-jose-earthquakes-vs-vancouver-whitecaps-extended-highlights. The video streams are also listed and play in VLC. But nope, they really want you to use their poo poo app.

tk fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 12, 2017

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I'm at Yankee Stadium and it's even colder than RFK was last week.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The Quakes are undefeated, hail satan

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

The Quakes are undefeated, hail satan

Also have yet to play 90 minutes against a full 11.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm just providing some alternative facts about the San Jose Earthquakes

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Minnesota has set a new record, being the first team to allow 5 goals in back to back games. And their keeper is now dead. rip

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

thelazyblank posted:

Minnesota has set a new record, being the first team to allow 5 goals in back to back games. And their keeper is now dead. rip

Five or more heh.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

thelazyblank posted:

you posted too soon they let another in in extra time.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
i'm willing to open the dumbass can of worms by discussing pro/rel

only if it comes with the absolute certainty that we can send dumbass teams like minnesota back down to misl or npsl or whatever lovely league it came from

shoulda stopped well before 22

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Jack2142 posted:

rip the loons and rip me.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

thelazyblank posted:

rip the loons and rip me.

Minnesota certainly is figuring out what positions it needs to invest in (hint: the whole team).

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Don't like anything. Life is much easier that way.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

LA-POR game is a clown fiesta, and I say that as a Timbers fan who's team is benefiting from this so far. A weird second yellow on a non-foul by LA that led to the Timbers' player injuring himself is peak MLS clownshoes.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I mean Minnesota looks like they have maybe 3 decent players in Molino, Ramirez, Schuller and alot of trash, the problem is that their good enough players on a normal team are the best performers on this team. Also if I was Molino I would be depressed, he is too good for this lovely team.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

Jack2142 posted:

This is, unfortunately, par for the course with Adrian Heath's teams. His defensive signings with Orlando City were almost uniformly awful, and poor defense cost OCSC playoff spots in both of the past two seasons. It's telling that in Orlando City's first game of the season, the back line was made up of four non-Heath signings - and they kept a clean sheet against NYCFC (who blew out DC today by four goals).

Basically Adrian Heath is a great third-division manager who is hilariously out of his depth in MLS and has probably already blamed the snow, the refs, his team's travel schedule, and a bad haircut for Minnesota's showing today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

TheNakedJimbo posted:

Basically Adrian Heath is a great third-division manager who is hilariously out of his depth in MLS and has probably already blamed the snow, the refs, his team's travel schedule, and a bad haircut for Minnesota's showing today.

This is really the main lesson that should be drawn from today. Why didn't they hire Savarese again?

• Locked thread