Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emron
Aug 2, 2005

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Rumors have Zardes going to DC, Columbus, or Vancouver. I hope y'all fan bases love hype and mediocre results. Who am I kidding, that's exactly what those 3 teams love.

Personally I love having a team to support, but I’m not a multimillionaire trust fund piece of poo poo, so this isn’t a world where I get what I love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Good lord: https://deadspin.com/seattle-sounders-fans-are-hopping-mad-at-beer-1820945875

I'd put a quote in here but I'd just end up quoting the whole thing.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
PNW is trash

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Good lord: https://deadspin.com/seattle-sounders-fans-are-hopping-mad-at-beer-1820945875

I'm guessing it's fight and win guy who is leading the protests

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Crazy Ted posted:

"Appropriating the culture" lmao as if their whole thing isn't just the baby bitch version of European ultras

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
"Deuce Juice" :piss:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think they should keep the original name, personally.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Crazy Ted posted:

Deuce Juice was a fun name, but they used a pic of Dempsey on the can so that was a quick C&D from the team.

Seems like it's just a few ECS douches up in arms about this, very likely the same people responsible for flipping off TV cameras and yelling at the team for commercializing them. It's pretty stupid, since they're essentially an adjunct to a commercial operation, the Sounders, but Seattlites gonna Seattle.

Incidentally, Three Magnets is in my hometown--nice place, but the reason for the name is some truly kooky new age bullshit. I grew up in a weird place.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

shirts and skins posted:

Deuce Juice was a fun name, but they used a pic of Dempsey on the can so that was a quick C&D from the team.

Seems like it's just a few ECS douches up in arms about this, very likely the same people responsible for flipping off TV cameras and yelling at the team for commercializing them. It's pretty stupid, since they're essentially an adjunct to a commercial operation, the Sounders, but Seattlites gonna Seattle.

Incidentally, Three Magnets is in my hometown--nice place, but the reason for the name is some truly kooky new age bullshit. I grew up in a weird place.

Olympia is weird I agree.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Hudson has coached the Bahrain and New Zealand U23 teams, as well as a brief stint as Spurs U23 coach, so...maybe? I hope?

In other news Hudson is on the move:

link

There have also been secondhand reports through the peanut gallery that the Rapids have someone signed as coach, and he's behind the roster rebuild. He just hasn't been announced yet.

Rapids have signed Johan Blomberg from AIK. He's supposed to be an attacking, creative midfield type. I don't follow Swedish football at all, so...:shrug: link to the press release

Should've been clearer, I meant Porter. Doesn't matter now though!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Full list of year end awards (winners in bold):

Landon Donovan MLS Most Valuable Player
Miguel Almirón (Atlanta United)
Sebastian Giovinco (Toronto FC)
Nemanja Nikolić (Chicago Fire)
Diego Valeri (Portland Timbers) - 21g/11a, MLS record 9 straight games with a goal. Without him Portland's probably not in the playoffs...well, they aren't now, but they wouldn't have been in them in the first place; point is, the right person won it this year
David Villa (New York City FC)

Defender of the Year
Justin Morrow (Toronto FC)
Ike Opara (Sporting Kansas City) - Finally put together a full season of action with a rather dominant performance...oh, and he can score too
Kendall Waston (Vancouver Whitecaps FC)

Allstate Goalkeeper of the Year
Andre Blake (Philadelphia Union)
Stefan Frei (Seattle Sounders FC)
Tim Melia (Sporting Kansas City) - Keeper for one of the best defenses in the regular season (just ignore that D collapsing at the end of the season, partially while he was injured)

Newcomer of the Year (has played pro, new to MLS)
Miguel Almirón (Atlanta United) - 9g/14a in 30 games, although I'm surprised the Golden Boot winner Nikolić didn't get it.
Josef Martínez (Atlanta United)
Nemanja Nikolić (Chicago Fire)

AT&T Rookie of the Year
Abu Danladi (Minnesota United FC)
Jack Elliott (Philadelphia Union)
Julian Gressel (Atlanta United) - 5g/9a (3rd most assists by a rookie in league history) in 32 games

Coach of the Year
Gerardo "Tata" Martino (Atlanta United)
Veljko Paunović (Chicago Fire)
Greg Vanney (Toronto FC) - I think this was mostly for hitting 69 points (nice) on the season

Comeback Player of the Year
Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC) - For not having his heart give out on him during a game...oh, and 12g/5a ain't too shabby either
Federico Higuaín (Columbus Crew SC)
Erick Torres (Houston Dynamo)

MLS WORKS Humanitarian of the Year
Ryan Hollingshead (FC Dallas) - For getting hit by a car while assisting a wreck and still coming back this season...poor situational awareness imo
Matt Lampson (Chicago Fire)
Luis Robles (New York Red Bulls)

MLS Fair Play Finalists – Individual
DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo) - .54 fouls per 90 minutes, 0 cards all season
Jahmir Hyka (San Jose Earthquakes)
Dave Romney (LA Galaxy)

MLS Fair Play Finalists - Team
Chicago Fire
Seattle Sounders FC - Fewest disciplinary points, not a single player suspended due to yellow card accumulation
Toronto FC

Referee of the Year
Allen Chapman
Ismail Elfath
Mark Geiger

Assistant Referee of the Year
Jeremy Hanson
Corey Parker
Adam Wienckowski

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I found it interesting that Michael Bradley got 0.0% of the player MVP vote, but 9.52% of the "franchise" vote.

https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/937753762285854720

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Valeri was the clear MVP vote, and probably could have been the last couple of years too. He either scored or assisted on 32 of Portland's 60 goals (and I'm sure was heavily involved on more than he got assist credit for), and is the only reason they made the playoffs. He is so drat good.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Got wrapped up in work & totally spaced the press conference was this AM. I'm as fortunate to watch that guy play every week as I am to call him a friend.

Thanks Mix's Dad!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sunil officially OUT - will not run for another term as USSF president. Now the fun part: apparently he and the Don are going to buddy up to support the candidacy of one of the SUM officials.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

Moktaro posted:

Should've been clearer, I meant Porter. Doesn't matter now though!

Whoops. Well...here’s hoping Hudson has what it takes. :pray:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

shoplifter posted:

I found it interesting that Michael Bradley got 0.0% of the player MVP vote, but 9.52% of the "franchise" vote.

https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/937753762285854720

I am gonna assume the sole media vote for Bradley was that Kurt Larson guy.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jrojasa75/status/937837463308877824

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Random twitter find: New stadium for the Austin Crew is already in the works?

https://archpaper.com/2017/12/big-stadium-east-austin/#gallery-0-slide-0

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The looks extremely impractical, but I like the idea they were going for.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
The stadium (40,000 seats :stare: ) is buried too far inside there. Its odd

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

paddyboat posted:

The stadium (40,000 seats :stare: ) is buried too far inside there. Its odd

Austin could never fill that, even if there were enough racks for 40k bicycles.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

That's horrific.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That stadium is proposed by Austin Sports and Entertainment and is no way affiliated with Precourt. However, it's easy to put 2 + 2 together and see ASE want the stadium to house a specific MLS club.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

paddyboat posted:

This looks like poo poo.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
It's telling that MLS has more coverage of the expansion reality show and AP moving to Austin than they do of loving MLS Cup. I'm not sure what it's telling, but gently caress MLS.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

MLS Cup is this weekend, right?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Gigi Galli posted:

MLS Cup is this weekend, right?

Saturday, ESPN

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Tigren posted:

It's telling that MLS has more coverage of the expansion reality show and AP moving to Austin than they do of loving MLS Cup. I'm not sure what it's telling, but gently caress MLS.

It’s telling me to put my money somewhere else, I think.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

binge crotching posted:

Saturday, ESPN

1600 EST looks like, right in the middle of Juve - Inter. Two screens it is!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

1600 EST looks like, right in the middle of Juve - Inter. Two screens it is!

Is that kickoff or Taylor Twellman time?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Tigren posted:

I'm assuming it's like an hour before kickoff if the rest of the season is any evidence. Who loving knows any more with this idiot league.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Tigren posted:

Are you talking about the website or somewhere else? Looking just now I see like one expansion story and no Austin stories, the rest is the Cup (the subreddit, on the other hand....)

Tigren posted:

The media types I follow on Twitter say that actual kickoff is expected to be at 1630, but again, who knows?

RussianBear
Sep 14, 2003

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds

paddyboat posted:

Two stadium proposals in the works.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2017-12-08/a-tale-of-two-soccer-stadiums/

quote:

If they can make it work, there's no doubt that this would be PSV's first choice. The Crew is in a suburban setting in Columbus, and that's what they're trying to get away from. But that's a big "if" – or a number of them, really. For starters, the site is city-owned, dedicated parkland; and while city officials might be okay with trading four "underutilized" Little League fields for a vibrant new cultural attraction, the fact that it's parkland means that the plan would have to go to city voters, most likely in a May special election (shades of Uber and Lyft), which isn't a lot of time to put together a campaign, and introduces a big question mark and a sizable delay into the process. (PSV attorney Richard Suttle is still sniffing around for ways to circumvent a vote, but there's no way that would pass any smell test.)

So never going to happen.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
So option two is "gently caress it, let's just copy Providence Park"?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

whypick1 posted:

So option two is "gently caress it, let's just copy Providence Park"?

As long as it’s grass, full size, and seats more than ~22k, I don’t think that’s such a bad thing.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

El Jebus posted:

As long as it’s grass, full size, and seats more than ~22k, I don’t think that’s such a bad thing.

If they copy PP's lovely 19th century concourses I'll laugh my rear end off.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

quote:

If they can make it work, there's no doubt that this would be PSV's first choice. The Crew is in a suburban setting in Columbus, and that's what they're trying to get away from.

:lol:

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Yeah I thought the crew were escaping the ghetto. That stadium looks much more appropriate.

Lolliing at the green kits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Is there anywhere in Austin that isn't suburbs?

• Locked thread