Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

whypick1 posted:

Awesome effort post

Hell yeah! Thanks for putting this together. So fired up!

Say it again for the folks in the back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Speaking of playoffs, am I to assume that the eligibility rules stay the same despite the expanding league? Still top 8 from each conference?

Those Atlanta kits look sick but they'll never be complete until they get the Coca-cola sponsorship.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Welcome to GBS posted:

This is the first and maybe only time I have ever agreed with you. I would have sold my first born son for that golden coke logo. Instead it's an insurance, which I guess is only in the second shittiest tier of jersey sponsors in this ponzi scheme of a league.

This is an outstanding backhanded compliment, I am genuinely honored

Anyway, I guess one benefit of being in a country a long history of puritanical gambling laws is that we don't see MANSIONBET or whatever on half the MLS jerseys. Guess it'd be Draft Kings or whatever over here.

Ungratek posted:

Thank loving god this is the last year I have to go to games at RFK

I've been to three games and I'm looking into mesothelioma lawyers.

Lot 8 rules though, shame you're losing that setup. Maybe you can move the cornhole boards to the War College lawn.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Turdsdown Tom posted:

Last time I checked they were, but I could be wrong.

Think that's right. IIRC Columbus' Strong Construction Dudes logo was the second to last of the originals.

MLS original logos are almost all hilarious, incidentally.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Your Boy Fancy posted:

We're still waiting for comment from D.C. as to their opinion on credentialed supporters punching women. It's of great interest to the rest of us at the moment.

Is this not what you are looking for https://www.washingtonian.com/2017/03/06/how-to-be-a-dc-united-fan/

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

DR AIDS posted:

I agree with you. On the other hand, he plays for the team I like, so it owns.

Oh yeah, I'm not under any illusions about him, he knows his role is to go right up to that line and see what he can get away with.

He's no leg snapper, but I can see why players would be annoyed with him. He's also perhaps the best defensive mid in MLS and is way more than a tactical fouler, the dude can really lock the field down. So yeah he owns, but I'm sure I'd hate him if he were on any other team.

poo poo, I think I've written almost this same schpiel about Richard Sherman. Hmm.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Tigren posted:

I Like Columbus's Barbasol for similar reasons, but lol shaving cream. Yellow jerseys are also better than red.

Barbasol is a cool logo but a bad product. I stopped using it a couple of weeks ago and my skin is way better. Turns out aerosol shaving cream isn't good for you? :shrug:

Anyway, I'm glad MLS has mostly avoided the really terrible kinds of sponsorships you see in Europe. PAYDAYLOANBET

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Jack2142 posted:

Or Sigi, or Kreis, or Petke, or any other MLS coach who was out of work at that time who had done anything remotely useful in the league.

Sigi seems physiologically suited for the cold of Minnesota, too.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Clean your goddamn office Merritt.

Special shout-out to that Widmer kolsch sunning itself on the back shelf, I bet that's nice and skunky by now.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/603384079044759552?lang=en

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I guess Bob Bradley is looking for work...? Yeah I've got nothing. What do you learn in three games that you didn't learn in the offseason? I haven't heard about any blowups over there.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Great! If I recall correctly, the Sounders have a perfect track record with Paraguayan DPs. please be better than Valdez

Wonder where he'd fit in if signed. Looks like a speedy attacker. Would play up top with Morris moving to winger, I guess? No idea.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

binge crotching posted:

Who would get removed in order for him to play?

Shipp I guess?

Frei
Fisher Torres Marshall Jones

Dempsey Roldan Alonso Lodeiro

Morris Gonzalez?

Something like that.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Jack2142 posted:

Sort don't think we would go to a flat 4-4-2 though, probably just drop Shipp and slot in this guy Derlis at RW, which looking on his FIFA card is his position :shrug: Honestly the Sounders need more fast players, and other than wanting a right back better than Fisher blowing money on a young DP sounds better than bringing in Honda.

Yeah I tossed that together really half assedly. I agree about the pickup, seems like a good move but I feel like the Sounders need depth at fullback more than anything else. This will be easier with Fisher and Evans back, but they could use some help all the same.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

whypick1 posted:

Petke didn't coach that game :ssh:

Which dumb, stupid team is going to be the first to get shutout by Minnesota? Do we make fun of them more than RSL for being the first to lose to them?

Don't spit in the wind like this or it'll be the Sounders.

That RSL keeper muff though, oh lord.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

This kinda looks sarcastic

Like, THANKS DAN for dumping coffee grounds in the loving FOOD DISPOSAL that was so nice of you

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Welp. Here comes the annual call-up bug. Between injuries and call-ups the Sounders are left with one (1) forward on the roster, international superstar Seki Akedoya(!?). They will be playing at Columbus, who just lost to Toronto 5-0.

MLS can be crazy so I will be happy to be wrong, but I get the sense this game will have all the goal scoring action of that Huddersfield/Reading playoff. Perhaps I will spend Wednesday evening watching paint dry instead.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Jack2142 posted:

https://www.soundersfc.com/post/2017/07/01/seattle-sounders-sign-27-year-old-dutch-fullback-kelvin-leerdam

We hopefully just fixed our right back issues that have been loving this team all year.

Thank Christ. May we never need to trot out Oniel Fisher as an emergency starter ever ever again amen.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
After relying for years on Deuce and Obafemi as our only scoring options, it's fun to feel like we have genuine questions about who should start for the Sounders. Lots of young talent coming up, the future is bright.

Still one DP slot to fill, and I have no idea what they'll do.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Rumors flying that the Sounders have managed to land Derlis Gonzalez from Dynamo Kiev after all. Nothing confirmed yet, but the current theory is that Kiev is waiting until after their UCL qualifier Wednesday to complete the sale.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders-trades-transfers-rumors/2017/7/24/16022672/derlis-gonzalez-sounders-dynamo-kiev

Gonzalez is a 23 year old Paraguayan international who would slot right into the winger position the Sounders need to complete the team. If they can pull this off, holy poo poo what a roster that is on paper. Starting 11 most likely would be:
Frei, Jones, Marshall, Torres, Leerdam, Roldan, Alonso, Gonzalez, Lodeiro, Dempsey, Morris.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

bewbies posted:

I do not understand why SKC did this trade.

Those cash incentives are like a whole new team for SKC. It may not be much in the transfermarkt world, but that's a poo poo ton in MLS. They can pay down other DPs and bring in new guys from Europe/South American while the window is still open. That's what Seattle is looking to do with Ozzie Alonso and Derlis Gonzalez.

Kind of weird timing given that they're contending for a high seed, so one would think they have a target or targets in mind.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Sporting Gijon attacking mid Victor Rodriguez linked to Sounders, rumors that a transfer is imminent. https://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders-trades-transfers-rumors/2017/7/26/16034168/victor-rodriguez-sporting-gijon-rumor

This theoretically would be in addition to Derlis Gonzalez, who was subbed out late in Dynamo Kiev's 3-1 win over Young Boys today and is rumored to be flying to the US to sign a contract early in the morning.

Not sure how Seattle would take two new international players at once or where they'd fit into the lineup without selling someone, but MLS gonna MLS. :shrug:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Those hires are both loving cool, Bob Bradley owns and deserves another chance, and I love me some Sigi (although I wish it was a team I liked better than LAG).

And here I am F5ing Dynamo Kiev news. Cmon Derlis! Apparently he's staying with Kiev at least through the second leg of the UCL qualifier, which is 8/2.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Hey guys. Did you see us not suck tonight? Because I sure did. Did you see Jermaine Jones play like the Jermaine Jones he thinks he is? I did. We also held onto the ball and passed it. Gyasi played better than he has all year.

We. Did. Not. gently caress. Up.

:)

Man, if that's Zardes at his best this year then I'd hate to watch him at his worst. He looked awful.

I keep telling myself that a road point in LA is a fine result, but LA is not good this year and the Sounders looked so disappointingly limp with their starters after being so direct without them. Maybe they just need some desperation to take some risks? It seems when the full strength squad is out there this year their attack is entirely crosses from Joevin Jones, and it never seems to do anything dangerous.

There is definitely something wrong with Lodeiro too, and I don't know what it is. He lacks that creative spark he showed last year.

Ah well, the point helps and rumors are the team is making a signing this week. Here's hoping for a big splash.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

whypick1 posted:

:smith:

https://twitter.com/herculezg/status/891705117455642624

He will be around for the rest of the season at least.

Balls. But, not surprising, he's not making much right now. Great that he's finishing out the season, and best of luck to him in the long run.

Hopefully he starts trying something other than crosses into opposing shirts for the rest of the season.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Gigi Galli posted:

De Jong owns, you can't tell me otherwise.

De Jong owns...

liability for countless snapped shins, yes. gently caress that dude.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Thanatosian posted:

I didn't want to use something less archaic, but it is, in fact, an ethnic slur. Used mostly to refer to Chinese people in the late 1800s, I think.

Wow, I didn't know that. Certainly gives a new flavor to this branch of D&D creatures. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestial_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

Outdated racial slurs can be fascinating.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I like MLS. It's fun to have a team that I can consider my own because of my hometown. However, it is important to understand that this is still a very young league. Maybe soccer fandom is no longer in its infancy in the US, but it is still definitely on childhood. Looking at the early history of the big 4 leagues, it's easy to see that big and often undesirable changes are on the horizon. We may end up seeing a league that has to contract as teams fold. We may end up seeing the league fold altogether, or merge with another league. After my last trip to Seattle, though, seeing the Sounders gear outnumbering everything but Seahawks stuff, I'm pretty confident that pro soccer is here to stay in the US. How quickly it grows and whether that continues to be something called MLS is certainly up in the air. It may indeed all depend on the next TV deal.

\/\/\/hell, :agreed:

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 5, 2017

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Xylorjax posted:

I missed the Sounders/Minnesota game live so I got to experience the Minny local announcers on the MLS Live replay. Dear god, how have these guys not rocketed to the top of the lovely Announcers power rankings?

The pbp guy's voice would quaver every time something exciting happened, it was real weird.

Also:
https://twitter.com/SoundersFC/status/894698958714421248

Does DC have *anyone* left who can score?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

whypick1 posted:

Owen Goal will never leave the team.

Do we really have any use for Neagle?

Probably not, unless we're about to clear out Shipp for space. This looks like a hometown favor to me, maybe his last stop before retirement.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Just before the deadline the Sounders nabbed something called Calum Mallace, which is somehow not a semipro wrestler. Based on the amused reaction from Impact fans this news is, uh, not super positive. And, no Derlis Gonzales. Still a strong and deep lineup, but a bit of a disappointment after all that hype.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Jack2142 posted:

Your signing Dom Kinnear.

Hahahahaha

I was going to say Wayne Rooney in two years, but this is so much better

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Jack2142 posted:

Yeah as a guy from Seattle I understand the bullshit of an owner who is desperate to move at all costs.

Also I just realized this move explains why this was going on awhile back... http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/soccer/mls-trademarks-possible-names-for-potential-austin-franchise/ebRZrUnOnfwMjpYYywBXZL/

At the time people were confused because the Aztex or whatever had an utterly terrible bid for expansion, but now it seems clear that it was a relocation not expansion moving the gears.

Can't wait to watch the AA play!

Had the same thought, this is really Clay Bennett-ish. God drat it, this is awful. But the only thing to say is, don't give in, don't give him a loving cent for a new stadium. If the league is dumb enough to let him move then he can watch his team wither on the vine.

Cities are finally getting wise to this scam but it'll take a couple more LA Chargers-style fiascos before owners start getting the hint that moving away from a team's history is an idiotic idea. Or maybe they never will and this whole thing will fall apart.

ShutteredIn posted:

He was. His dad is Jay Precourt, an oil and natural gas investor.

If nothing else, sports failsons are pushing me further toward full throated advocacy of extremely high estate taxes.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
ECS put out an open letter to Sounders ownership asking them to oppose the Austin move.

https://www.weareecs.com/multimedia/category-news/379-this-is-about-trust

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

African AIDS cum posted:

All timbers fans EH

already do show up in costumes EH

LARPing as sports likers EH

in their European style rooting section EH

The above set to O Canada, of course

Jack2142 posted:

This man does not speak for all of us.

I hope Toronto flames out embarrassingly in a fitting tribute to their stars Bradley & Altidore.

I wanna beat them the same way as last year, maybe we'll give them a complex!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Whatever the case may be among the provinces, we Sounders fans invented being obnoxious. :)

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Crazy Ted posted:

Good lord: https://deadspin.com/seattle-sounders-fans-are-hopping-mad-at-beer-1820945875

I'd put a quote in here but I'd just end up quoting the whole thing.

Deuce Juice was a fun name, but they used a pic of Dempsey on the can so that was a quick C&D from the team.

Seems like it's just a few ECS douches up in arms about this, very likely the same people responsible for flipping off TV cameras and yelling at the team for commercializing them. It's pretty stupid, since they're essentially an adjunct to a commercial operation, the Sounders, but Seattlites gonna Seattle.

Incidentally, Three Magnets is in my hometown--nice place, but the reason for the name is some truly kooky new age bullshit. I grew up in a weird place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

binge crotching posted:

And it looks like TAM has been increased to $4.0m for 2018 and 2019. The base $1.2m is paid by the league, and teams can pay an additional $2.8m out of their own pockets.

:hellyeah: gonna see some great teams next year

• Locked thread