Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think the issue of bad owners not willing to improve their team because they're making money is more of an American issue than just MLS. The other North American leagues have terrible owners who pick terrible general managers who in turn pick terrible players and put a terrible product on the field/court/rink. The difference is that MLS doesn't have legacy or history to rely on for a fan base. It's not entrenched in our society as much as we'd like it to be, but it's not like pulling up the roots and planting a new seed is going to bear any better fruit.

The key is USSF regulation. The loss to T&T should be a wake up call to the USSF to get their affairs in order, because :10bux: is flying out the window. I've use the term 'laissez-faire soccernomics' to describe the lack of uniformity in American soccer before, as the people who should be regulating leagues are afraid of getting sued by people with more money than them. The good news is there is an election coming up for USSF President, and there are actual challengers this time! Sunil Gulati's Time may be up in February if he doesn't bring change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

fast cars loose anus posted:

I hope Austin isn't stupid enough to pony up public money for a stadium for this but I'm not holding my breath

I'd go to a game just for fun but ugh (I wish we still had the Ice Bats, I missed out on that)

Mayor Adler said no public funds.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
http://kxan.com/2017/10/17/soccer-club-outlines-wishlist-for-potential-austin-location/

KXAN posted:

A site that’s been a source of speculation for different developments is the Austin American-Statesman property at 305 S. Congress Ave., where real estate attorney Richard Suttle is listed as the trustee. City documents show as recently as last week, Suttle filled out a reporting form to lobby for the development of an MLS stadium. KXAN has not yet heard back from Suttle for comment.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

G-Hawk posted:

thats probably the single best place to put a stadium in austin

I know. For those of you not familiar, the newspaper plant is about a mile away from 6th Street, regarded as the center of Austin hipness. From the parking lot, you can see all the way to the capital building. It also no longer actually prints the newspaper, as that has been outsourced.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Dallan Invictus posted:

When did that happen and why hasn't it come up before in the Aztex' wandering? Nobody involved with enough money to redevelop it?

Well, it happened a while back, but the land the Statesman plant was sold from Cox Communications to....the family that owns the majority of Cox Communications about 18 months ago. The land is possibly the best downtown real estate in any major city that's looking to be redeveloped, which is probably why saying 'we want to build a minor league soccer stadium here' got balked at.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Crazy Ted posted:

So there's late-night scuttlebutt from Brian Strauss and others that 2-4 of the MLS teams that have full reserve teams in the USL might not bring them back for next year. Suspects floated about are Orlando, Philly, NYRB, and Seattle.

Apparently it's part the MLS organizations going "Hey it turns out we have to spend money on these guys and we don't like it" and part the USL going "Yeah so we want to be D2 so you guys with your hundreds of people who show up to games are actually bad for us now".

Orlando, Red Bull, and Seattle can have their junior squads go away and I wouldn't give a rat's rear end. I would like to see Bethlehem Steel stay around, though, if only because a) they have an actual identity, and b) that identity has local historical roots.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Reserve squads have a place, but that place isn't in the second level of a pyramid.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Austin radio hosts interview Precourt and Dave Greely

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
MLS: come for the debates, stay for the soccer!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Got this email today:

The head of my local SG posted:

To My Eberly’s Army Family,

The phrase, “May you live in interesting times” is one that many of us are familiar with. For soccer fans in Austin, the last 10 years has shown that just as soon as you think things have settled down, something comes along to overturn the apple cart.

With the news that came out Monday night from Grant Wahl about the possible move of the Columbus Crew to Austin starting in the 2019 season, many found themselves with mixed emotions. This chance (the level is dependent on the source of your news and your perspective) that Austin could host a MLS club in the next 24 months surprised many in the ATX and surrounding communities. I dare say, it surprised many in the soccer landscape, based on social media and news coverage. For many in the Austin area, the news was mixed. As excited as we were to hear of a possible fulfillment of our dreams for an MLS club in central Texas, the way we could be getting the club brought up a lot of old emotions.

It was 7 years ago this month that Austin Aztex fans learned that the club was leaving Austin to go to Orlando. Many of the points the Aztex made in 2010 for leaving Austin align with reasons provided by Precourt Sports Ventures LLC to Crew fans for leaving Columbus; declining support of fans in the city for the club, the need for a stadium closer to downtown, the need for greater innovation in the club. Within 5 years, Orlando went from Austin to an opening day in MLS as OCSC (or OC$C as many here still refer to them as). The pain, anger and frustration of fans who gathered at Mister Tramp’s Pub that night, to burn the club crest and rip apart club jerseys are similar to what we see from Crew fans now. Although we can’t say we know exactly how Columbus fans feel now, we have a pretty good feeling how deep and intense their emotions are running. Emotions that we wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy.

For me, it’s the treatment of the Columbus fans that first gave me pause. Do I want to be excited for an organization who was treating its supporters the exact same way Austin fans were treated in 2010? Did I as a fan want to put my faith in an organization who could do this to their community? I know as well as anyone else that soccer is a business, just like many other sports around the globe. Long gone are the days where the performance on the pitch was most important. Today, cash flow, profit/loss, increases in season ticket revenue, advertising revenue, etc. are king. Yes, silverware and trophies are important, but in many cases only as a means of increasing revenue and profits. For me though, I have supported two iterations of the Aztex, to see both either leave the city of cease operations. So how would I react to an organization that was doing the same thing to their fans? Is there space in a supporter’s life for principles? As I read postings, emails and articles online, I’m not the only one in Austin or the broader American soccer community who feels the same way.

Although some questions we ask ourselves and other may never be answers other than through the passage of time, we should ask questions of any organization wanting to bring soccer to Austin. After all, they’re asking for our presence and active support (time, money, emotions). We are doing this for the USL Austin 2019 group following their announced return of a USL club in 2019 and we should do this with Precourt Sports Ventures LLC for this possible MLS move.
Nothing is 100% now. There has been no press release from Precourt Sports Ventures LLC to state that it’s a done deal. Naturally, its looks closer to happening than not, but until it’s 100%, we should all remember that no matter how great something looks, there are still steps to be taken.
If the team is successful in getting all the approvals from MLS, they still have to sort out a stadium. Austin Mayor Steve Adler has already stated publicly that no city tax dollars will go to building a stadium, which is no surprise. However, what about property? Tax abatement's? Other financial perks from either the city, county or state?
Additionally, Precourt Sports Ventures LLC has stated that building a stadium will be privately funded. Will he be able to find the investors he needs to acquire the land, build the stadium, hire the staff for the squad (players, front office, ticket sales, operations, etc)?
What is their commitment to the city of Austin? Frankly, how do we know the same thing won’t happen to use which has happened before, both in Austin and with Precourt Sports Ventures LLC?
What are the long term plans both on and off the pitch? How does the organization plan to engage with all soccer fans in central Texas, including EPL fan, Liga MX fan, National team fan or just the casual supporter?
These are questions that we want to ask the organization. Only with these answers, can we gauge the level of support we will provide.

Unfortunately, I personally don’t have much in the way of suggestions with where you should fall. For some of you, you’re all in. For others, you’ve got questions like the above and more. We’ve always referred to ourselves as “Cerebral Supporters”. I would simply ask that you keep an open mind. Don’t just take answers and statements at face value. Keep those fans of the Crew in your thoughts. They’re having a very hard time now. There’s a lot of anger out there, so be aware of exchanges with folks both in person and online. In my case, I’m finding that I spend less time writing updates to social media, and more time reading. After all, that’s how we’ll become better informed to go forward. Listening, and making up our own minds. Whichever way you fall.

Matthew Gray
Eberly’s Army President & Co-founder

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Got this tonight.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I made a joke that the potential USL club would be able to hire Adrian Heath in 2019, but now I’m getting scared the potential MLS club would hire him.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
If I’ve learned anything from sports, it’s that games on Halloween are fun as hell to watch on TV.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
If MLS thinks California can support four teams, they must think Texas could support four teams (theoretically).

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Isn’t that proposed Nashville stadium also a Vanderbilt thing as well?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
27 & 28 will be available.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Thanatosian posted:

Having a third soccer team in Texas (between the other two, nonetheless) seems dumb.

Has Austin said anything about this?

The Austin city council passed a resolution last week saying they're taking a look for a place for a stadium. December 7th is when we find out where they want to put it.

e: Newspaper article

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 16, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
e: wrong thread

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

TwoStepBoog posted:

https://twitter.com/jwilliamscincy/status/935170399024926720
https://twitter.com/jwilliamscincy/status/935210769154756609

guessing Cinci is in a scramble to beat Nashville right now after the rumor Sacramento has been nailed down

I wouldn't be surprised if Sacramento, Cincinnati, AND Nashville are teams 24-26, and Miami's can is kicked down the road again.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/MLS/status/935877011968577538

Where’s the ‘loads of speculation’ smilie?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Crazy Ted posted:

Something tangentially related to MLS since they were a marginal expansion candidate back in the day, but this morning the Rochester Rhinos officially went bust.

Yes yes...actually it's "on hiatus"...but the current owners are giving up on the team, which is the second Rhinos ownership to do so in the last three years.

Aww. :( They were the last non-MLS club to win the U.S. Open Cup.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
See, if non-Americans want to know why American soccer is the way it is, there’s your answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
That stadium is proposed by Austin Sports and Entertainment and is no way affiliated with Precourt. However, it's easy to put 2 + 2 together and see ASE want the stadium to house a specific MLS club.

• Locked thread