Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Fancy, make the DC post already so I can start complaining about our bad and dumb team

DC United has my favorite lovely journeyman MLS'er in Neagle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I find the Xbawks/Microsoft sponsorship for the Sounders to be pretty solid. Seems pretty unique and they seem to show up alot in the background of random microsoft commercials due to it.

Also screw Valdez I am happy we have Bruin.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

thelazyblank posted:

Minnesota has set a new record, being the first team to allow 5 goals in back to back games. And their keeper is now dead. rip

you posted too soon they let another in in extra time.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I mean Minnesota looks like they have maybe 3 decent players in Molino, Ramirez, Schuller and alot of trash, the problem is that their good enough players on a normal team are the best performers on this team. Also if I was Molino I would be depressed, he is too good for this lovely team.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Dallan Invictus posted:

This is really the main lesson that should be drawn from today. Why didn't they hire Savarese again?

Or Sigi, or Kreis, or Petke, or any other MLS coach who was out of work at that time who had done anything remotely useful in the league.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Seltzer posted:

I'm still confused as why he traded Collin to us for a dishrag when he was a proven above average MLS center back.

Then replaced him with guys who were just outright bad like Mateos.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I saw this video at work and couldn't stop laughing, please help taxes are really boring.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Shrapnig posted:

They're actually saying Del-ta.

lol

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Crazy Ted posted:

I think Heath has a big problem on his hands. He signed Demidov to be the captain and the leader of his defense, but it's clear that the guy is just too slow to deal with the more physical attackers MLS likes, given the way he had his rear end handed to him repeatedly over the first two games. Demidov was benched tonight, and the defense looked quite a bit better. They did allow two goals, but one of those was due to a comedy backpass attempt by Schuller.

I like how 2 of their three "big" money signings are some of the worst players on the team.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Hello Towel posted:

Yup. There are legitimate questions whether that money would be better used to shore up a pretty bad back line. But he's been one of my favorite players for a long time so I'm personally pretty pumped.

Is the hope that Schweiny can play as a #10 in this league? I mean he probably can, plus having Dax an Juninho behind him running around breaking up plays this might not be the worst move and should make up for the fact his motor isn't what it was a few years ago, if he plays well Chicago would have probably one of the better midfield in the league.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Shrapnig posted:

Who would even suggest he would play as a number 10? He's been a holding midfielder for a decade.

:shrug: everyone online seems to say he can't run anymore and they already have at a pair of d-mids who for MLS are pretty good. I mean he hasn't been a #10 ever, yet this is the league that had Colorado decide Jermaine Jones is a #10 and that Kevin Doyle the store brand Robbie Keane can be a play-maker on a playoff team. Keeps him closer to goal making it more likely he will score and thus make everyone happy except people spergin about MLS being a retirement league because like 5 old Europeans play here now.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

No MLS just because Lletget is loving one of the new power rangers, don't please no...

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Crazy Ted posted:

There's been one constant in those three games where they allowed 4+ goals: Demidov starting at CB.

In the one game he didn't play? Two goals allowed, one of which was the dreaded "everyone loses concentration right after scoring" thing that can happen to anybody.

BUT HE'S A EUROPEAN HE MUST BE GOOD! Brian Kallman, who was a backup in the NASL for three and a half years until becoming a regular starter for Minnesota sometime during 2016, has been better than him.

Demidov is hilariously bad and is a strong example of Minnesota having no loving clue what their doing and I honestly look forward to their tire fire DP signings, its too bad they weren't in the league last year probably could have sent them Valdez.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Crazy Ted posted:

Nah Minnesota has a clue as far as the domestic or from-elsewhere-in-MLS players go - the NASL players they brought up have been fine for the most part. Molino has done some good things. Venegas has done some good things. Saeid and Warner have been effective in spurts. It's just that their imports have all been useless or just about useless. Alvbage? Terrible before he got his knee gash. Demidov? Single-handedly responsible for about five goals against over the first two games. Schuller? Crap all year so far and was subbed out at halftime last weekend. Kadrii? Had one decent game but was worthless and subbed out at halftime yesterday. Calvo? Part of that great 1-2 center back punch with Demidov.

To be fair, in Calvo's case he was playing as a left back in Costa Rica and had scored about 15 goals over the last two years. That's the one move that you can really blast them for. "Let's take a LB who's apparently pretty nifty in attack and shove him into the middle in a new league where the players are more physical and get away with more poo poo. Yes that will work great." That and still using him at CB when Davis was suspended and instead putting Jermaine Taylor at fullback oh my god

Thats sort of just confirming what I meant when I said they had no clue what they are doing from a talent acquisition perspective, the guys they had sitting in their laps as NASL dudes and random MLS journeymen like Warner are "ok" not good, but not the problem with the team. When they went out to grab guys from international leagues they picked up a ton of lovely players, who at best look like they are just being played out of position (Calvo) and at worst are a worse center back than a loving NASL bench dude.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I applaud their commitment to reflecting local heritage by bringing in a ton of players from the Scandinavian leagues, but it's worth remembering that those leagues are, at best, a sidegrade to MLS (aside from certain overrated youth prospects in Football Manager. :colbert:).

Also I had heard Demidov was a holding midfielder in denial like a cut-price David Luiz but nope, apparently he always was a CB. And a team captain! And his team finished second in Norway last year conceding the second-fewest goals! So IDK what the gently caress happened to him in the offseason to explain this. (My guesses include "Adrian Heath is not a defensive-minded manager" and "actually the Tippeliga is Not That Good" as above).

Yeah the Nordic Leagues are not very good, MLS still has nothing on the big dogs, but compared to any random second or third tier European League no one outside their country watches I would be willing to bet on MLS.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Dallan Invictus posted:

It could be a win-win move where each team is filling a weakness with a surplus player, but IDK whether Columbus actually needs someone in Manneh's role or not.

Maybe this is their way of realizing Higuain is dead (last week is an outlier), and that they are gonna move Meram too the middle, Manneh and Findlay would both be fast as gently caress and make things awful. Plus with Jacobsen injured and Teibert being bad, if Tchani gives a poo poo like he did in 2015 their midfield should be pretty dangerous almost like having Koffie back, who I think the Whitecaps really missed last year.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders-trades-transfers-rumors/2017/3/30/15130524/derlis-gonzalez-transfer-rumor-sounders-paraguay

Also I think the Sounders like spending money.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

shirts and skins posted:

Shipp I guess?

Frei
Fisher Torres Marshall Jones

Dempsey Roldan Alonso Lodeiro

Morris Gonzalez?

Something like that.

Sort don't think we would go to a flat 4-4-2 though, probably just drop Shipp and slot in this guy Derlis at RW, which looking on his FIFA card is his position :shrug: Honestly the Sounders need more fast players, and other than wanting a right back better than Fisher blowing money on a young DP sounds better than bringing in Honda.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The Rapids have no idea what they are doing and last season was a fluke.

shirts and skins posted:

Yeah I tossed that together really half assedly. I agree about the pickup, seems like a good move but I feel like the Sounders need depth at fullback more than anything else. This will be easier with Fisher and Evans back, but they could use some help all the same.

I would love for the Sounders to pick up Abdul Salam from SKC, he had the second most assists for a fullback last season other than Jones, and we should move before SKC realizes playing Zusi at right back is a bad idea and Vermes remembers he already has a better, cheaper and younger fullback on his roster.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 31, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Crazy Ted posted:

Has any player had a smoother transition from US lower-tier soccer to MLS than Christian Ramirez? He is white-hot right now

Alonso maybe?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Breaking news we have discovered irregular heart problems are contagious, patient zero Eddie Johnson has been taken into custody by the CDC.

Seriously though Dempsey, Wynne and now Moor all within a year seems high?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

LA Galaxy was so jealous of Wondo they got the MLS store brand version.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Look at Portland outspending Seattle

#builtnotbought

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

TheBoyBlunder posted:

So Pablo Mastroeni has admitted the Rapids are punting on this season *already* and looking to 2018.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/colorado-rapids-struggles-plan-2018-future-mls-analysis#LMV6IyHpbSfTPUb3.99

Six games in and they're punting. :sigh:

Edit - The article makes it sound like they have a plan. Based on 2012 to the present I don't believe they've done *anything* to so much as hint they have a plan.

I thought the plan was "OH gently caress PAREJA LEFT... ERR WHAT DO WE DO KNOW, PABLO YOUR TURN"!!!

At least Ben Olsen is consistently "adequate" with his lovely journeymen pickups, Colorado probably have the worst front office since they managed to get fleeced by loving Minnesota United.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 29, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

Toronto just won five games in a row for the first time in team history

What the hell is going on

Honestly it seems like Toronto finally figured out buying a bunch of lovely 30+ Euro garbagemen every transfer window to plug holes left by other declining lovely 30+ Euro garbagemen wasn't a good model for a stable lineup., Just acquire a bunch of Canadian and American players who have nowhere else to go and they will put in ~effort~. Then paper over nepotism hires like Zaveleta by employing an actual good and cool player in Giovinco to drag the team to glory.

Edit: You agree it seems.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 11, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Arquebus posted:

Well, you know what they say about glass houses...

They don't burn down so light all the fires you want?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I was hoping the Rapids would sign him, he has past it flop signing written all over him.

Also Flacco might be out

https://twitter.com/Aleespitia2015/status/871953043482333185

I mean its not a huge loss, but he played fine the last couple of games.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 6, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Star Man posted:

I'm going to laugh if this is the universe that the Colorado finally gets rid of Pablo and somehow acquire Ben Olson and the only thing that improves is DC, because that's the only thing I can think of that can make the Rapids even worse.

Face it if Pablo or Olsen get fired Kinnear is gonna be target #1

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

https://www.soundersfc.com/post/2017/07/01/seattle-sounders-sign-27-year-old-dutch-fullback-kelvin-leerdam

We hopefully just fixed our right back issues that have been loving this team all year.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I personally love the LA meltdown almost as much as I like Seattle's marginal competence.

I still am baffled as to how lovely Movsisyan has been in MLS, he was an exponentially better striker in Russia than Martins, but has been exponentially shittier in MLS. Like is it just he doesn't give a poo poo in RSL and a move elsewhere would make him decent?

Also lol the Sounders are sitting on the most allocation money in the league.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 7, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

camoseven posted:

Yep. $700k of it is incentives, but Twitter says they're stupid easy (literally "play one game for Orlando this season" easy).

Dom Dwyer gets lost in Disney World tour and dies.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I know Liga MX and EPL does better in ratings, but aren't the Bundesliga ratings somehow significantly worse than MLS? I think a big part of the current crappy ratings is because ESPN and Fox are pretty terrible broadcasters and their stable of MLS announcers ranges from okay to awful, NBC seems to do a better job with the premier league, Liga MX just has a captive audience of millions of first and second gen Mexican-Americans no one I know who isn't Mexican bothers to watch their games though.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I am happy Neagle is back on the team, he isn't great but he was not the problem with the 2015 shitstorm in the summer.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

shirts and skins posted:

Probably not, unless we're about to clear out Shipp for space. This looks like a hometown favor to me, maybe his last stop before retirement.

I mean we only have Bruin and Morris for forwards on the roster so he is probably #3 on the depth chart there.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Xylorjax posted:

Actually, it was because the BPB guy's voice sounded like he had a frog in his throat the whole drat game, and because the sideline guy kept talking about things like Jordan Morris's cultured left foot, but y'know, whatever.

And there was this:

I heard that left foot comment and was like... have you ever watched him play?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Yup. link to story.

They go on to say the Rapids would never sign a guy based solely on Football Manager but it's a good start. Based on how terrible the Rapids are they need to figure out a new strategy.

Meanwhile the Rapids got their man. link Rapids get Luis Gil and $100k in TAM in exchange for Powers. Rapids will take over Orlando's $100k TAM payment due to RSL next year for right of first refusal for Gil. Each salary related "budget charge" will stay on the original team's books.

So after all that, they free up money for the last 1/3 of this season and get Gil on trial for 11 games for free. Per the terms of Gil's loan, the Rapids would also send just $50k to RSL if they do not keep him. Well...it's not like the Rapids are going to be worse after this trade. Meanwhile good luck to Powers, he desperately needs a change of scenery to get his career back on track, hope this does it for him.

That explains Gabby Torres so much, he was a loving nightmare in FM yet utter poo poo in MLS, ditto those crappy argentinian D-mids a few seasons ago.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Rapids interim GM Padraig "football manager" Smith and chief business officer Wayne Bryant published an Op-Ed in the Denver Post about their vision for the team.

link

As simply put as possible, they sort of admit they hosed up and they're gonna change things. They said a lot of bold words about strong attractive soccer and signing attack minded, high game intelligence players who aren't overpriced.

They want to be a "perennial playoff contender" and bring another MLS Cup to Commerce City.

Well. Bold words. The fact that KSE had the Rapids management publish something like this is surprising.

Let's see what their actions bring.

Your signing Dom Kinnear.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Gigi Galli posted:

I shouldn't say the revs are terrible to watch, they're fine at home, entertaining even, though I haven't seen anything post-Jay obviously. I dunno. Anything outside of Boston city limits is not a solution; if that's never going to happen then the team needs to move for real. It's stagnant.

The Rev's have a bunch of mostly solid mls based players. Their scouting is utter poo poo though so whenever they try to sign an international they either get a guy who is underwhelming like Kouassi or actively poo poo like the center backs you picked up this season.

DC United is like the guy who in senior year of college thinks he needs to get D's from here on out to graduate and keeps cobbling together barely adequate coursework just enough to keep him from failing. Except his plan is finally falling apart because the professors are sick of his bullshit and told him to step his poo poo up, but he has coasted so long he has no idea what he is doing anymore.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

TheBoyBlunder posted:

The Rapids are a terrible team and played a terrible game last night. (Repeat 4 more times for the remaining four games this year) They are also finally mathematically eliminated. About time.

Meanwhile Rapids #9 Kevin Doyle is retiring from soccer due to concussion problems. team announcement that doesn't say concussion problems

Kevin Doyle's announcement that actually says concussion problems.

Noo not the Store Brand version of Robbie Keane!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I found the connection between all three of the wooden spoon contenders this year,

Marcelo Sarvas has played for each one.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Gigi Galli posted:

What do you guys think will happen now that the us won't be in the World Cup? There must be a correlation between mls attendance and profits and the USA being in the tournament right? I feel like more people give a poo poo in World Cup years, or immediately after.

The league is already in a really stretched position with the 200000 teams it wants to create; I would hope that some of this wild expansion stops in light of what just happened. The value of the league seems like it's ready to drop; I feel like the league as a whole and the national team are too tied up in each other's business.

I think the MLS is lucky that the TV rights aren't up for re-negotiation for a few years since its linked to the USMNT.

In regards to the league, I don't think there is a talent dilution. In the last few years the teams have honestly gotten much better than they we're in say 2018. Its pretty loving telling that other garbage CONCAF teams are doing fine with their MLS players, like half of Panama, Honduras and Costa Rica play in this dumb gay league and they just did what the US couldn't.

The fact is the US turned out a generation of lovely players from the late 80's and early 90's who weren't as good as guys like Dempsey & Donovan. Our youth teams played like poo poo and didn't qualify for things and while success at a youth level doesn't necessarily translate to success at the senior level, we had an entire generation of youth players wasted. Its pretty telling of the mid-20's guys on our roster only Yedlin actually made the jump to test Europe instead of staying around the MLS.

I guess for lack of better word MLS has sort of indirectly made the US worse, it gave us a way deeper pool of "okay" players, but it acts as a safety blanket so fewer guys make the leap to Europe to try to be true difference makers ala Dempsey or some of those older guys from the 2000's-2010's.

I think with the MLS academies and poo poo the current U-21 guys look a hell of alot more promising, its just frustrating they never got shots with the senior team because Klinsman and Arena were so intent on shoving washed out guys like Wondo, Zusi, Jones, etc. onto the roster, or if they did pick young guys alot of them flamed out like loving wasting a roster spot on Zardes.

We could have qualified if Arena wasn't retarded and actually rotated his squad and played with some defensive midfielders instead of having Bradley run around like a headless chicken behind 2 MLS wingers with and shielding our bad center backs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I hope it dies and we get a normal league like any other country. I doubt the Costa Rican Super League or whatever the gently caress gets over-the-hill star players from Italy or England but they don't seem to have problems beating Trinidad.

I feel like this is a dumb take because both guys who scored for Panama play in MLS, along with like half of all these CONCAF sides bar Mexico.

It's just the US hired an idiot for a coach and the US players themselves seem to not give a poo poo.

Like the US could have beat Trinidad, they should have loving beat Trinidad. Bruce could have at least ground out a draw if he actually rotated the loving squad, we would have been poo poo at the World Cup, but we probably would have made it if he didn't leave Bradley in front of a lovely back-line to run around like a headless chicken, because Bruce wanted to play 3 wingers in a 4-1-3-2.

• Locked thread