Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Precourt has already poisoned the well at this point, even *if* a new stadium deal were to happen, he's now persona non grata in this city. The only solution for the current team to stay here is to switch ownership.

edit: https://twitter.com/AEricksonCD/status/920291974531436544

He had no intention of keeping the team here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

DJExile posted:

They're trying to get a taxpayer stadium on the Kentucky side of the river. MLS wants teams in their own stadiums.

Yet NYCFC is in their third stadium this season this weekend

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Perhaps Young Anthony stepped out of line

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Let's not forget that Precourt was on the expansion board and thus privy to all of the details of their bid. Surely everything was above board.

Didn't the league require a $5m fee for expansion applications as well?

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

At the beginning of the match there was a 100 yard line to get in because they (whether deliberately or not) had bottlenecks with respect to security and ticket scanning. This is making people suspect the reported attendance was the number scanned at kickoff. As someone that only misses 1-2 matches a season, 14k seems awfully suspect to me, even with reporting sold vs scanned.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

We're now on the third version of the story from the league on the Sacha/Jozy scuffle.

1) Both got straight reds for violent conduct, likely leading to multiple match suspension

2) Both got second yellows for unsporting behavior, thus no appeal

3) Both got straight red for unsporting behavior, TFC to appeal the red.

Nothing suspicious about this at all.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Not from the league or the match report, I can tell you.

It was actually in the match timeline from the MLS app, so presumably it was the same on the actual website. I should have screenshotted it last night but I didn't expect that it'd change (twice). Could be that they got incomplete info and updated after the fact, but correcting it twice is pretty sad. That said, nothing more than I'd expect from MLS.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Columbus Mayor and Alex Fischer of the Columbus Partnership (major business group, 15+ Fortune 1000 CEOs are members) to have a meeting with Garber and Precourt on Nov 15. Originally we were told it would be after the season, so I'm not sure if this is good or bad.

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 7, 2017

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

ZHamburglar posted:

MLS gonna be in Austin and it's going to be amazing. Then it'll be bought by a Qatari in a few years.

Also:

What more can you expect when you only have ONE person on marketing staff because you've fired everyone else

Just a reminder that one of our promotions for this year was BRING YOUR DOG TO THE GAME NIGHT

Also, the fact that we have the lowest paid shirt sponsor is loving hilarious because the club staff couldn't even get that deal done, Columbus Partnership did. What huge company is going to want to play a premium for a shirt sponsorship when they get a grand total of ONE game in national TV exposure? A game, might I add, scheduled opposite week one of the NFL and both the Bengals and Browns home openers? It's a loving miracle we are getting $1.8m a season.

Finally, what huge company is going to want to make deals when our big shot owner can't be bothered to get off his rear end and show up to grease palms in order to get poo poo done?

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 17, 2017

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Hungryjack posted:

The Houston Dash had a dog game like this. I would have been tempted, too, if it had not been in July.

We did it TWICE. I saw like maybe five people. I can't possibly imagine this got people who wouldn't normally come to a game into the stadium.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Cross post from the toronto thread, but anyone here planning on actually going to the TFC v Crew match on wednesday? I'm staying a mile from the stadium for a week or two, with time to kill in the evenings.

I'm strangely OK with being weird and sad and going alone to the game, but thought it would be marginally less weird and sad to meet up and have a beer with strangers from the internet.

I'm traveling on the charter, we're arriving between 1-2pm, but I'm bringing my 9yo with me.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

I had to buy via the Columbus SGs so if you're looking for other general seats, I can't help unfortunately

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

We really liked Mo here in Columbus too. Good guy, solid player. We also knew he'd be the first player gone in the expansion draft.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Hahahaha Precourt about to get BTFO based on what I just heard

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

I'm going to wait in case it doesn't pan out. I don't want to burn my source, who I definitely trust.

It's someone that would be in a position to know.

There a chance it could get posted on Twitter early. I'm not the only one that knows, I just don't want to be *that guy*.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

It's not that, but I for one, would welcome my new job opportunity

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

blown

Not via fellatio

I'm just stewing on it because I'm on a bus to Toronto

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Edward Mass posted:

See, if non-Americans want to know why American soccer is the way it is, there’s your answer.

Youth soccer is a loving disaster and most of those clubs only bu see the kids as a check. gently caress em. I'll never understand why these clubs don't just accept that players and their families should treat the youth soccer game like a business, because they treat it in the same way.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Bio-Hazard posted:

You're loving ignorant. Solidarity payments don't exist in this country and that's why coaches are protective of their players. It's a simple solution.

As long as people are paying $2500+ a year for training, the clubs deserve next to nothing. I'm 100% for solidarity payments/training compensation as a mechanism to reduce/remove P2P but there are a *lot* of clubs that aren't doing their kids any favors, so you can kindly gently caress off with this nonsense. Too many club directors just want to keep players around so they can buy that new Benz. It's not everyone, but it's not rare either. I'm not saying there aren't lots of good coaches and club directors, there are, but quite honestly as long as I'm paying exorbitant amounts of money for training, I'm going to take my kid to the best possible value proposition for them. I don't owe the club anything. I can't speak for the Rhinos youth system and whether or not it was a better option for whatever families moved there.

If you are a coach/CD and are one of the good ones, good on ya. We just moved clubs over the summer after six years at our old club, and I had to do some pretty serious research before we decided on a new club.

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 1, 2017

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

I actually think we generally agree on most of this - as it is a lot of the kids on the C/D teams are subsidizing the A/B teams. Most of those kids would be better served by improved rec programs.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

I found it interesting that Michael Bradley got 0.0% of the player MVP vote, but 9.52% of the "franchise" vote.

https://twitter.com/JeffreyCarlisle/status/937753762285854720

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

quote:

If they can make it work, there's no doubt that this would be PSV's first choice. The Crew is in a suburban setting in Columbus, and that's what they're trying to get away from.

:lol:

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Statement from Ohio AG regarding potential legal action if a move is announced:

https://twitter.com/OhioAG/status/938861595467374597

quote:

Statement from Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine
on Columbus Crew

(COLUMBUS, Ohio)—Today, Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine issued the following statement regarding his office’s review of Ohio Revised Code provisions regarding a potential move by the Columbus Crew to Austin, Texas:

“Ohioans are very loyal fans who passionately support our teams and take great civic pride in their accomplishments. Our teams are a part of our communities. That is why when ownership moved the Cleveland Browns to Baltimore in 1995, the Ohio General Assembly took action and passed a law to protect Ohio and its communities when they provide tax-funded support for professional teams’ stadiums. As a United States Senator, I, along with Senator John Glenn and Congressman Louis Stokes, introduced similar legislation in Congress.

“The Ohio Attorney General’s Office has reviewed the law passed after the Browns’ move. We believe the evidence will show that this law would apply to the Columbus Crew and Mapfre Stadium. As Attorney General, should ownership of the Columbus Crew initiate a move of the team without complying with Ohio law, I am prepared to take the necessary legal action under this law to protect the interests of the State of Ohio and the central Ohio communities which have all invested to make the Columbus Crew a proud part of our Ohio sports tradition and help Mapfre Stadium earn its reputation as ‘Fortress Columbus.’”

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

No matter the outcome it's going to be interesting if it gets that far. MLS will likely try to use the single entity argument, so I'm curious if that will end up backfiring on them either then or in the future.

If it gets to the courts, MLS has a lot more to lose than the city and state do, so it wouldn't shock me to see them not try tempting fate.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

The thought had crossed my mind that something like that could be a potential outcome even if it's a longshot. If they really want to argue single entity to the end, I could see someone trying.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

XBenedict posted:

This is going to be even more lol when Detroit doesn't get an expansion team.

It's funny as gently caress because the DCFC supporters I know don't want to go anywhere near MLS

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Oops

https://twitter.com/DegenerateTBone/status/939724666977095680

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Then again, he also couldn't be bothered to know that our captain was Hejdude and not GBS at MLS Cup 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

ZHamburglar posted:

Drats. All my years as a goon and I have finally been figured out. You with this time.

poo poo, you mean we could have avoided all of this by just asking about stairs that time we were talking over beers?

• Locked thread