Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Reminder that Crew Stadium isn’t even twenty god damned years old and Precourt wants public funds in THIS climate to build a stadium. gently caress him. gently caress him especially for doing that to a team with history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

wicka posted:

Y'all can't be aggressively defending the league's terrible structure and then also complain about the natural and unavoidable consequences of it.

Who’s defending this league post-Trinidad though

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
The right-sizing of American sports, where every crowd is tiny and passionate and serves the public loving good

A glorious dream that's gonna take a bunch of leagues burning in hellfire to achieve

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Dallan Invictus posted:

I've said we need to replace most of the original teams' owners with people that actually want to make an effort, but ideally not like this.

Reading the articles, it's really mum what he's asking for in Columbus besides "a stadium in a location people actually want to go to" - is he after public money or approval for a land sale or flexible zoning or what? The new Aztex had a hell of a time finding a new stadium after their old one flooded, I don't know what reason he has to think he'd be more successful there.

In the prior case, the league kept the Quakes' brand and history and records in reserve until they brought a new team to SJ - I haven't seen anyone ask if they would do the same for Columbus if this happened.

Another Ohio team getting the Browns treatment. Sure, why not.

So it sounds like Garber could, in theory, force Precourt to accept the offer to the keep-in-Columbus crowd. Which would be excellent. Then we can ripple that through the league, except DC and New England of course because misery quotas must be maintained

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Dallan Invictus posted:

It'll probably take guillotines. As long as Snyder is first?

Ain't a jury in the world, pa

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Emron posted:

The 2018 season is still being played in Columbus, so that’s their justification

Sue them into hell and back, and get other STHs to follow suit

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

porkface posted:

Now you've got tickets to a protest party. I'm going to tune into matches on MLS Live just to see the signs.

Empty bleachers are both protest and proof of concept.

quote:

Also I don't understand why Wicka has such a boner for this league he doesn't like or watch. We all know it's structured poorly and seems to be overly reliant on franchise fees but he and all of the other MLS haters can't tell you when the league will fail nor are they willing to talk about success stories like Atlanta without saying they're simply outliers. I am 100% confident if they were to put a date on their dire predictions we would all watch it pass with the league intact and attendance up in some places and down in others.

In a better world, teams wouldn’t move. They’d get relegated. Wicka sees, like a lot of people see, that there could be a thriving ground for developing Americans, making a bit of money, AND having a watchable, competitive league. And what we’ve gotten since the Beckham experiment is money marks and grifters.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

African AIDS cum posted:

Every MLS supporter group should come out and say they will boycott the league if they allow this.

Do a credit card dispute

Yes on both fronts

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
USL is the way and the light. Imagine watching your team for free on YouTube instead of paying way too much to watch teams that aren’t yours

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Sounds like Precourt might get forced to sell locally. Because wow gently caress you.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Kill the MLS2 teams. Grow the sport either by affiliate program (DC-Richmond has been mutually beneficial) or by just loaning players.

If we’re giving all of USSF a rethink, let’s loving rethink it.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
In unsurprising news, Goff is reporting Hamid is gone next season. No clear idea where to, but not here.

I will be shocked if DC outdraws Dallas in five years.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

camoseven posted:

In related news, today I finally got around to telling my rep that I won't be renewing my DCU season tickets

Lol, which one

You should tell them Paul says hi and hear them inwardly loving groan

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
You can’t even strawman correctly you weapons grade dipshit, go back to being quiet now that your team spends all that money to be worse than mine

I hear spending money to field dogshit is a European tradition

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Gigi Galli posted:

Listen if you're going to poo poo on Milan at least use the right thread.

Heh

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

G-Hawk posted:

Well, good thing they've been taking positive steps to be less reliant on expansion fees! This includes:

- building their own stadiums to increase revenues and reduce gameday expenses
- acquiring big name players to increase TV ratings and tv revenue (expansion itself will help increase these TV deals by giving the league a more national footprint)
- developing more young players they can potentially sell for significant transfer fees

And yet the fees have gone up, so how are they less reliant? New teams are playing in football stadiums they don’t own, and NYCFC just played in loving Hartford. The needle hasn’t moved on ratings, and now the US have crashed out of the World Cup. The youth aren’t getting sold on - they’re going out of contract and playing in loving Denmark. And instead of trying to improve fortunes, teams are scrapping marketing to save money before vanishing or relocating.

What you’re suggesting hasn’t come to pass, and unless the academies have improved that much in the last two years (I can tell you DC’s hasn’t), what is there?

If Columbus to Austin actually happens, that’s gonna be a chain reaction that leads to NY6 playing in a rec center in Yonkers.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I like that only he believes this, and literally every involved party is telling him he’s an idiot, and he’s doubling down regardless

It’s like admitting he was wrong would turn him to dust

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

XyrlocShammypants posted:

He’s not an idiot for wanting to leave he’s just a bad person for how he’s going about it.

He's an idiot for buying the team in the first place, especially with the goal of moving to Austin from day one, AND he's a bad person for the way he did it

poo poo should've been outlawed when Clay Bennett did it to the Supersonics

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Dallan Invictus posted:

This literally almost happened. Twice.

If there's a more 90s team name than the ones that actually made it into MLS, it would be "Los Angeles Salsa".

go sauce

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
BEN OLSEN FOR AUSTIN

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Ben Olsen

https://twitter.com/dcunited/status/922175191937175552

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Seltzer posted:

Only have notifications on your phone for calls, text, and email

I turned off email notifications four months ago and I feel so liberated. Never let your phone own you. Just other posters

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Even our absolute poo poo season ain't so bad because of injuries and bad coach hires.

Your team won less games than Ben Olsen’s Shitheap with twice the payroll. You fielded the worst team in MLS 2017, somehow worse than DC, Minnesota and Colorado.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Olsen is probably still standing in the center circle of RFK, looking forlornly at his favorite dive bar, and nobody has the heart to tell him to leave.

He asks for another few minutes, and they just nod and go to get him another cup of hot chocolate.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Nostradingus posted:

Bill Hamid to Midtjylland is a done deal. Bill Hamid to never having a chance with the US national team is also a done deal

Oh, he’ll keep getting invites. And then Something will spontaneously combust inside his body. It’s like clockwork. Dude is allergic to the USMNT

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

El Jebus posted:

Which team is more likely to upset Toronto? Maybe the team with the golden boot? Or the team from New Jersey?

Never count on New Jersey to come through in the clutch

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Gigi Galli posted:

I imagine the league would want this? Would be a fun atmosphere.

gently caress yes. Drunk people in costumes. It would make for good TV. Need a sad Dracula in extra time

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Atlanta had an amazing season and nobody will ever be back after a nil draw penalty loss

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Footie Mob was an inspired group name. Rename to Footie Mob.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
It’s a massive improvement regardless. Dude has never had a good haircut his whole life, and this is as close as he may ever get

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Jack2142 posted:

I think Fancy is actually Ben Olsen's SA Account.

First of all,

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Remember how we keep talking about substandard managing? Brad Friedel is a bad attempt to sell tickets.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Tigren posted:

It's telling that MLS has more coverage of the expansion reality show and AP moving to Austin than they do of loving MLS Cup. I'm not sure what it's telling, but gently caress MLS.

It’s telling me to put my money somewhere else, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

shoplifter posted:

No matter the outcome it's going to be interesting if it gets that far. MLS will likely try to use the single entity argument, so I'm curious if that will end up backfiring on them either then or in the future.

If it gets to the courts, MLS has a lot more to lose than the city and state do, so it wouldn't shock me to see them not try tempting fate.

New plan, the city of Columbus owns MLS as a result

• Locked thread