Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

whypick1 posted:

https://twitter.com/jeffrueter/status/847866763853385730

Maybe they'll go down to a GAA of <4 with this move.

I'll believe it when I get the ESPN notification. Until then? Nah.

A midfielder who's bounced around Sweden a bit and had 50 appearances with Columbus, a US winger with bad knees, and money for a fairly rock-solid (albeit yellow card happy) midfielder and a left back who ran the offense last game? I know the Rapids need to do something, but this? Eh...

Some other thoughts: Cronin felt like Pablo's man through and through. Trading him would be extremely surprising. Who plays left back now? Williams? Serna? Also, really, that's all the Rapids could get? Ultimately...if there's not another piece to this coming in a few months (See the rumors about Aron Jóhannsson for example), this is a crappy trade.

Also, supposedly, no money changed hands which makes this trade that much crappier. - https://twitter.com/jeffrueter/status/847871227171676162

Edit - The peanut gallery is chiming in that this feels like the Beckerman trade right now. I agree.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Jack2142 posted:

The Rapids have no idea what they are doing and last season was a fluke.

That wouldn't surprise me.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Moktaro posted:

Wow, I don't recall that name at all.

Also digging the Rapids trade, Burch isn't that good and we can slot Boateng into Cronin's spot.

EDIT: OK not digging so much what we got for them, but I'm holding out hope we're getting Aron or someone comparable.

Yup. As of right now it's a crappy trade. If something big/good comes of it later, then fine.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

So Tim Howard has been suspended for the next three games for "inappropriate fan interaction" on Sunday at KC.

My reaction:

🤦‍♂️

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

So if a fan yells at you and you tell him to gently caress off you get suspended. Does the fan also get a stadium ban?

Where was security to control the fans? How were fans allowed to get close enough for a physical interaction?

I'm not going to say Howard didn't deserve something for his actions but the security was NON-EXISTENT. The fans who were involved need to be punished as well.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Star Man posted:

But we can all agree that the Rapids loving suck and we should be ashamed to be fans of this team.

If this year continues this way, then I wholeheartedly agree.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

So Pablo Mastroeni has admitted the Rapids are punting on this season *already* and looking to 2018.

quote:

"Mastroeni acknowledges that a lot of what they're doing won't reach fruition this year. “We're definitely looking at 2018; there's a lot of great opportunities in 2018,” he says, and that much will depend on whom the Rapids acquire in the summer transfer window. They are targeting someone who can bring a “bit of culture in the attacking third.” That could be a playmaker, a steady goal-scorer or something in between.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/colorado-rapids-struggles-plan-2018-future-mls-analysis#LMV6IyHpbSfTPUb3.99

Six games in and they're punting. :sigh:

Edit - The article makes it sound like they have a plan. Based on 2012 to the present I don't believe they've done *anything* to so much as hint they have a plan.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 28, 2017

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Papal Mainframe posted:

Gently in order to enjoy it while it lasts? :v:

That's about right. I speak from experience. :sigh:

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Newest rumor in Rapids land is they've signed Luis Montes, currently of Leon, to be a #10. Esportes.mx has an article saying 3 million on his contract and 3 years. Not sure if he'd be a DP or if they have a boatload of TAM to spend. link to article in Spanish Montes' own Facebook page has shared that article so it feels like it's probably a done deal.

I don't like it much because in over 6000 minutes since his broken leg in 2014, he's had 1 goal every 715 minutes and 1 assist every 400 minutes. That's...at best, underwhelming. Yes may be MLS easier to score/get assists blah blah but still. I'm also wondering how many players they're going to have to cut to afford him, and what they're going to do if they lose that depth and have injuries.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Moktaro posted:

Supposedly Juan Ramirez would be the big one and they want to do that anyway, so....eh. Not thrilled about this either but it's something I suppose.

Wouldn't be at all surprised if Ramirez left or was cut. Guy just couldn't stop tripping over the ball.

Meanwhile Rapids president Tim Hinchey has left to go work for USA Swimming.

https://twitter.com/coloradorapids/status/870316275355877376

Off the field and behind the scenes he did good work. On the field...not so much.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

And now there are reports of maybe Rapids target Luis Montes renewing with Leon instead. Who knows? :shrug:

https://twitter.com/CARLOSLGUERRERO/status/871508500861538306

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Can I interest you in a slightly used, thrice fired former USMNT player for a coach? Because I'm sure one could be made available to you.

As long as he comes super cheap. Kronke is one of the cheapest bastards in sports and won't brook having to actually pay for competency, let alone quality.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Well we finally have a transfer rumor in Colorado!

:siren:

And it's stupid. Really stupid.

https://twitter.com/TTSportsHQ/status/887589466176618496

Unless he can play as a 10 I don't get it.

:sigh:

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 20, 2017

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

TheBoyBlunder posted:

Well we finally have a transfer rumor in Colorado!

Unless he can play as a 10 I don't get it.

:sigh:

The same site that said "Rapids are chasing Carrick!" now says "the Rapids have denied this rumor."

https://twitter.com/TTSportsHQ/status/887967786089271302

I hope so. They sure don't need another d-mid.

Edit - If they're planning on trying what Chicago did with Schweinsteiger, fine, I guess, but the Rapids don't have an equivalent to McCarty or Nikolic or Juninho. They also have a coach that puts 9 guys behind the ball and thinks "heart beats stats!" I don't see how it would work.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 20, 2017

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

For any Rapids fans out there Omar Cummings has retired.

https://twitter.com/fccincinnati/status/889258828201689088

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Rapids did a thing. The team promised a "depth player" and a "player who raises the level of the group." We'll see how this turns out.

https://twitter.com/jeffreycarlisle/status/890278526833770496

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 26, 2017

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Hey Portland fans, do you remember this guy at all? From what I can see he's a depth player with little time as a professional and not much to show. Classic Rapids signing.

https://twitter.com/MLSTransfers/status/891364459482161152

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Rapids are trying to make a trade:

https://twitter.com/SoccerByIves/status/895445072572858369

And failing at it:

https://twitter.com/KristianRDyer/status/895479269782061056

My reaction is basically "meh." Both fanbases are saying "take my player, please!" and Powers is out of contract at the end of the year anyway. If they'd done this a month ago to free up money for the transfer window, fine, but this is August 9, not July 9. I don't get it.

Edit - Can anyone check if Gil has a higher rating in Football Manager than Powers?

(rebuilt post. sorta)

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 10, 2017

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Dallan Invictus posted:

For what it's worth, he does: Powers has 115CA/121PA, Gil has 106CA/134PA.

I still can't imagine why Colorado thought they could trade for a player on loan though.

Thanks. I asked because the team has legitimately said they use Football Manager as a scouting tool. Given how terrible 3 of 4 seasons have been it's not a good idea.

And they thought they could trade for a player on loan because they're idiots.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

bewbies posted:

no loving way

Yup. link to story.

quote:

The Rapids use the Football Manager database – which features roughly 600,000 entries, most of which are player profiles containing 250 attributes each – in two different ways. Often, the club submits direct inquiries to Sports Interactive – the company that develops the game – for information. Other times, Smith will fire up the game and glance at the data himself.

“The number of leagues that are covered, the number of players that are covered, it really gives us a lot of information that can be slightly trickier to come by, and works as a nice starting point,” Smith told Vice Sports’ Brian Blickenstaff.

They go on to say the Rapids would never sign a guy based solely on Football Manager but it's a good start. Based on how terrible the Rapids are they need to figure out a new strategy.

Meanwhile the Rapids got their man. link Rapids get Luis Gil and $100k in TAM in exchange for Powers. Rapids will take over Orlando's $100k TAM payment due to RSL next year for right of first refusal for Gil. Each salary related "budget charge" will stay on the original team's books.

So after all that, they free up money for the last 1/3 of this season and get Gil on trial for 11 games for free. Per the terms of Gil's loan, the Rapids would also send just $50k to RSL if they do not keep him. Well...it's not like the Rapids are going to be worse after this trade. Meanwhile good luck to Powers, he desperately needs a change of scenery to get his career back on track, hope this does it for him.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 10, 2017

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

whypick1 posted:

Good news Rapids goons:

I don't know which is more shocking. That they actually fired Pablo, that they fired Pablo before the season ended, that they fired him instead of simply letting his contract expire in two years, or that they're bringing on a guy who has actually coached soccer before as his interim replacement.

All that aside I'll always respect Pablo for his time as a player. He's a club legend for that alone, and 2016 was special even if they came up short. He was just a really terrible coach and should never have been thrown into the big job right after retiring.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 15, 2017

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

whypick1 posted:

Good news Rapids goons:

Someone on Facebook made a good point. Kronke doesn't fire coaches at his non-NFL teams unless business demands it. The Rapids have had 3.5 years with Pablo, and only 1 year where things worked and that was likely despite his coaching. They've had mostly bad transfer windows, they traded the team captain, and it looked like they were keeping the cheap and safe option at coach. The club also opted all season tickets into an auto-renewal, with the deadline to opt out in 8 days via a specific submitted request and a marketing survey. For the Rapids to make this kind of move now means they must be absolutely taking it in the shorts in the season ticket department.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Howard leaned on management and made his displeasure with the team being poo poo known. He likes winning as much as the next guy, but being stuck on a terrible team after coming home is probably not what he envisioned.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 16, 2017

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Rapids interim GM Padraig "football manager" Smith and chief business officer Wayne Bryant published an Op-Ed in the Denver Post about their vision for the team.

link

As simply put as possible, they sort of admit they hosed up and they're gonna change things. They said a lot of bold words about strong attractive soccer and signing attack minded, high game intelligence players who aren't overpriced.

They want to be a "perennial playoff contender" and bring another MLS Cup to Commerce City.

Well. Bold words. The fact that KSE had the Rapids management publish something like this is surprising.

Let's see what their actions bring.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Jack2142 posted:

Your signing Dom Kinnear.

That's...way too plausible. :cripes:

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Star Man posted:

One day all other Rapids fans will learn that their hopes and dreams need to be thrown into the loving trash.

Supposedly things will change once Bravo's bad contracts come off the books. Supposedly. I'll believe it when I see it, like if the Rapids actually carry 30 guys next year so they have enough bodies for Champions League and don't overplay their starting 11. Which, supposedly, they're excited by CCL and will "try to win." (They won't win).

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 19, 2017

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

The Rapids are a terrible team and played a terrible game last night. (Repeat 4 more times for the remaining four games this year) They are also finally mathematically eliminated. About time.

Meanwhile Rapids #9 Kevin Doyle is retiring from soccer due to concussion problems. team announcement that doesn't say concussion problems

Kevin Doyle's announcement that actually says concussion problems.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 28, 2017

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

So everyone thought Anthony Hudson, currently the New Zealand men's boss, would be taking over the Rapids. Then this happened.

"New Zealand Football want to keep coach Anthony Hudson for another four years, and are confident they can make it work." "Martin said discussions around Hudson's future won't be rushed, but they will be concluded by next month."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11945101

It doesn't mean "no", but...still.

:downsbravo:

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Bio-Hazard posted:

Arena in. RCTID.

:cawg:

Meanwhile now a classic “that’s so Rapids” with Hudson I’d be ok with Porter to Colorado. At least he’s a proven coach.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Moktaro posted:

IIRC he's not as adverse to playing youth as Pablo was, right?

Hudson has coached the Bahrain and New Zealand U23 teams, as well as a brief stint as Spurs U23 coach, so...maybe? I hope?

In other news Hudson is on the move:

link

quote:

Anthony Hudson’s time as head coach of the All Whites has come to an end.

The 36-year-old Englishman, who signed on in 2014 after three years as head coach of Bahrain, was out of contract after the All Whites were beaten 2-0 by Peru in the FIFA World Cup Intercontinental Playoff and has decided to not continue with the national team.

Hudson is currently in the final stages of his contract negotiations for his next move.

There have also been secondhand reports through the peanut gallery that the Rapids have someone signed as coach, and he's behind the roster rebuild. He just hasn't been announced yet.

Rapids have signed Johan Blomberg from AIK. He's supposed to be an attacking, creative midfield type. I don't follow Swedish football at all, so...:shrug: link to the press release

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 23, 2017

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anthony Hudson is officially coming to run the Rapids per the league website. link

I imagine we will have a press conference or something tomorrow from the team. Is it roster cut day tomorrow as well?

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Rapids cut some guys names who didn’t do much. Gatt, Williams, Castillo, and Berner. Gordon was let go but I’m not surprised, while he had some notable goals he was a warm body too often. Luis “the only player on loan who got traded in league history” Gil also got let go, he was useless.

The only surprise was Mo Saeid who actually looked good on this garbage fire of a team. Turns out he specifically requested it, reportedly for family reasons.

https://twitter.com/Ry_Madden/status/935560038571057152?s=17

Should be interesting to see how they rebuild, as long as Johan Blomberg isn’t the only new addition. Wouldn’t mind seeing Jose Villarreal in burgundy...

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 29, 2017

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Rapids have reportedly signed Edgar Castillo from Monterrey.

https://twitter.com/jrojasa75/status/935949524933025792?s=17

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

ZHamburglar posted:

Austin has also changed a good amount since 2010. Mainly more traffic and homeless people.

Sounds like a prime location for an MLS team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Moktaro posted:

Should've been clearer, I meant Porter. Doesn't matter now though!

Whoops. Well...here’s hoping Hudson has what it takes. :pray:

• Locked thread