Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Shhh. That's Fancy's trigger word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

XyrlocShammypants posted:

This result is the ultimate redemption of Jurgen. The guy was right and everyone around him was wrong

Only if you live in Bizarro World.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

highme posted:

refs who are afraid to card stars early.

It's my biggest problem with refereeing. The idea that a foul isn't a yellow or red in the first minute, but is one in the 70th. It drives me absolutely nuts.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Never a dull moment. I was wondering what was going to come next.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

a soccer league that is not dogshit

Well, NASL is folding so it seems we're doing ok on that front.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

So there's late-night scuttlebutt from Brian Strauss and others that 2-4 of the MLS teams that have full reserve teams in the USL might not bring them back for next year. Suspects floated about are Orlando, Philly, NYRB, and Seattle.

Apparently it's part the MLS organizations going "Hey it turns out we have to spend money on these guys and we don't like it" and part the USL going "Yeah so we want to be D2 so you guys with your hundreds of people who show up to games are actually bad for us now".

As long as they also have a D3, that would be fine.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Kill the MLS2 teams. Grow the sport either by affiliate program (DC-Richmond has been mutually beneficial) or by just loaning players.

If we’re giving all of USSF a rethink, let’s loving rethink it.

But I thought doing things the way they are done in Europe is how you become successful? Because that's how Spain and Germany do it. 'B' and '2' teams are the norm there and they seem to be doing well for themselves.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

You can’t even strawman correctly you weapons grade dipshit, go back to being quiet now that your team spends all that money to be worse than mine

I hear spending money to field dogshit is a European tradition

Oh no. It seems I've struck a nerve.

My team may be poo poo, but at least I have the comfort of knowing that, for us, things will get better, and already have. For you, well, isn't this a good year for your standards? You're not guaranteed last place!

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Reserve squads have a place, but that place isn't in the second level of a pyramid.

When we really only have 2 divisions, where are they supposed to play? USL hasn't made a D3 yet.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

^^ Yeah but the D3 league isn't here yet, so they're still playing D2.

wicka posted:

In a loving reserve league you simpleton

Yeah, we did that. People complained that they weren't playing meaningful games. Now we do this. It's been pretty good for my team to vet recent academy graduates and give us a place to rehab 1st teamers.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

I suppose so. It's not complete doom and gloom for the team, honestly, as their youth league players seem to be developing nicely. But still, this season was a punch in the mouth after 2016's.

It's the worst collapse in league history. Even our absolute poo poo season ain't so bad because of injuries and bad coach hires. Y'all have no excuse.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Your team won less games than Ben Olsen’s Shitheap with twice the payroll. You fielded the worst team in MLS 2017, somehow worse than DC, Minnesota and Colorado.

Yeah. That's right. And next year Lleget isn't going to be injured. Dude is worth at least 10 points on his own. And your team is still going to be poo poo and Benny will still be the coach.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

trem_two posted:

NASL filed a new anti-trust suit against USSF yesterday, the claim is that MLS tried to acquire the Cosmos in order to shut down the club.

https://twitter.com/KristianRDyer/status/922691094869106688

This is dumb and entirely a PR move and Public Sympathy grab by Rocco. SUM/MLS were offering $5m for the Cosmos IP after the club was already defunct and shutdown. The non-compete clause is boiler-plate standard for IP acquisition in every industry. This is bullshit and no one in the courtroom will be swayed by this. This was done so more people would get on the MLS conspiracy bandwagon on Twitter and the internet.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

I'm hoping so bad that the Crew win it. Why, yes, Major League is one of my favorite movies ever.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I'm hoping so bad that the Crew win it. Why, yes, Major League is one of my favorite movies ever.

:smug:

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

So this is how MLS and US Soccer dies. With a lovely lawsuit and a haircut. RIP.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

I can assure you that's not the case. The 2 a year we get is considered a light weekend in Europe.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

I said arrests not incidents.

Touche.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Jack2142 posted:

I think Fancy is actually Ben Olsen's SA Account.

All those posts were really a cry for help.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Hungryjack posted:

Where are you getting this from?

Not from the league or the match report, I can tell you.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

threeagainstfour posted:

Galaxy got them knives out and cut a bunch of under performing dudes who came up from Galaxy II.

Kind of surprised to see Jose Villareal go, the rest not so much.

https://twitter.com/kbaxter11/status/927976213561278465

McBean and Jose are going to be starting in the league next year. This is the dumbest loving move we could have done outside of signing Jermaine Jones again. Coincidentally, with this purge, if we do sign Jones next year, I'm cancelling season tickets.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

I can only hope Bob is dumb enough to take Jermaine Jones from us.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

It is severely reduced. 5 players from the whole league instead of 10.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

I've been on the 'Jurgen to PDX' push. I can't tell you how many people are actually in support of this. I really hope it creates a groundswell of support and they actually hire him.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

I was hoping that SOMEBODY would give Marc dos Santos a chance but gently caress it, you've convinced me, #JurgenToPDX.

Please astroturf the poo poo out of this on social media. I really want Portland people to start going hard on this.

El Jebus posted:

I don't know what to even say to this. I have no idea who the timbers will even try to bring in. Another MLS coach? Another college coach? USL or NASL? Jurgen or Arena? A euro coach? Alexi Lalas?

It's a two-fold desire to see a division rival see a downturn in form and to be able to see Jurgen apologists truly understand how poo poo of a coach he is.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Eelface posted:

I hope brandi chastain becomes the timbers next coach tbh

I've seen people suggesting her for USSF President too. I know I'm loving around with the Jurgen stuff, but is she actually a coach? Has she done anything to even suggest she would be a good coach?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

highme posted:

Ok folks that pay better attention to NASL. Are there any reasons that I would not want Giovanni Saravese as the new coach for the Timbers?

If you're a Portland fan, you don't. If you're a fan of any other team, you do want him as Portland coach.

Dude had the highest payroll and best team on paper for years and still lost to a team that ceased to exist as the final whistle of the Soccer Bowl blew.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

trem_two posted:

Atlanta announced their cuts, only real notable ones are Kenwyne Jones and Mears. Mears sucked and Kenwyne obviously wasn’t in Martino’s plans, makes sense.

Jones retired last week.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Thanks, Donald. You have super secret squirrel info that will blow everything wide open! But you can't share it! Maybe next week!

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Nostradingus posted:

We Don't Need More California Teams

San Jose needs someone to care about them. We certainly don't and neither do their fans.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Rumors have Zardes going to DC, Columbus, or Vancouver. I hope y'all fan bases love hype and mediocre results. Who am I kidding, that's exactly what those 3 teams love.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

:smug:

Tigren posted:

Welp, guess we need a new right back.

We're on the scouting trail already:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Jack2142 posted:

At least I am supporting a team that will take advantage of that... RIP all the garbage teams like Philly & Colorado.

ives is claiming it was a unanimous vote, so at least everyone is in favor.

• Locked thread