Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Crazy Ted posted:

Texas has never supported four teams in one league in any pro sport. There's two in Major League Baseball, two in the NFL, and three in the NBA. And you could argue that Dallas only has an NHL team because Norm Green moved the North Stars there at the behest of his wife after a Sexual Harassment/Assault lawsuit.

If Don Garber thinks Major League Soccer can do Texas better than all four of the long-established North American sporting leagues, then good luck with that.

I don't think it's impossible for Texas to support 4 teams in the same sport. The problem is Austin. DFW won't support two teams in the same sport (though I wish to gently caress it would).

There are really only 4 Metro areas that will support Major League teams of any kind; DFW, Houston, Austin, San Antonio. Even though SanAn and Austin are kind of growing into a huge blob, the culture in the two cities is different enough to have separate fan bases.

Austin is the X factor. Texas Football is probably all they can draw a crowd for. They've never really had much interest in any pro sports. Too many transplants, too many hippies.

Otherwise, Texas supports 3 NBA teams pretty well. I don't think a fourth would be out of the question. Soccer is pretty big in this state (despite FC Dallas attendance because they put the stadium where only rich whites could get to it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Tigren posted:

It's called supporting the Galaxy Chivas Galaxy

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

Having a third soccer team in Texas (between the other two, nonetheless) seems dumb.

Has Austin said anything about this?

Austin’s last team became Orlando. That should tell you something.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Ciprian Maricon posted:

the venn diagram of people with "MLS knowledge" and good managers has basically zero overlap so maybe he's hoping for a good manager so his team does well??

I'm sure Schellas Hyndman could be convinced to leave GCU.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

ZHamburglar posted:

Should also be noted that Precourt paid $30 million more than the next highest bid, that means the next highest offer was in the 30's.

I highly doubt that. MLS is going to lose out on too much money by not going to Austin. An ownership group from a top 4 European league is going to also be an investor in Austin.

We already had an investor from a top 4 European league in Austin. That team is now Orlando City. Worked out splendid.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

paddyboat posted:

The stadium (40,000 seats :stare: ) is buried too far inside there. Its odd

Austin could never fill that, even if there were enough racks for 40k bicycles.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

Is there anywhere in Austin that isn't suburbs?

2 blocks by the University.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

tk posted:

From the Columbus Dispatch: http://www.dispatch.com/news/20171206/lawmaker-wants-to-use-law-passed-after-browns-move-to-block-crew-from-leaving

What "the opportunity to purchase the team" means isn't clear, and it hasn't been tested in court. Would be awesome if it worked or made things difficult for Precourt though (and then every other state subsequently passed the same law).

This is sexy.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Jack2142 posted:

I am fully confident in Hope Solo's ability to beat the competition.

:rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

binge crotching posted:

Garber is doing a press conference where he basically said that Columbus fans are dumb and they need to look at Detroit to see how to support a team.

This is going to be even more lol when Detroit doesn't get an expansion team.

• Locked thread