Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

EVG posted:

I don't think I've seen any fountains that DON'T use that motor. I'm okay with cleaning the motor out weekly - we do that now - but something is still getting bacteria build up. Our current fountain wasn't always this nasty so maybe age has something to do with it.

The plastic fountains I've seen all have crazy nooks and crannies where bacteria builds up. We went through a couple before moving to ceramic. Simpler design, so easier to clean properly, and ceramic because I was concerned that a stainless version would be light enough to be pushed around.

So I have a semi-anti-recommendation, but the reasons why are important because they were not obvious to me when I bought the thing.

Got this:
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Pet-...ds=pet+fountain

It's okay, not annoying enough for me to replace, but here are the issues I've had with this design:
-That huge, open pool collects everything. Everything falls in. It's a drat magnet for hair, dirt, leaves somehow; I don't know. Definitely needs cleaning once a week, could stand more often. At least cleaning it is easy enough.
-That wide water expanse encourages evaporation. I have to top this up twice a day. Not the end of the world, but it makes going out of town difficult as there is no other reservoir.

But I will say that part of the reason we bought this is that one of my cats is prone to blackheads along the chin/around the mouth. Since moving to a ceramic waterer and stainless steel feeding dishes, his condition is much improved.

And yeah it uses the exact same water pump that everything else uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread