Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Whoever decided that charging and kickstand were mutually exclusive should be loving shot :argh:

Why the gently caress do companies keep doing this

what size hole should i drill in my desk to solve this problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bill Barber posted:

Hooked it up to my nice 4k OLED HDTV and the menus look surprisingly shittier than my regular old PS4, like they're purposefully using 720p assets (screenshots and icons and such) and upscaling them.

The menus are definitely 720, just like the WiiU.

e: Is all of Snipperclips single player accessible?

ee: and

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone in a region with Neo Geo games try a Neo Geo game? I got Waku Waku 7 to test out how viable D-buttons are (shockingly not all that terrible?) and the audio is out of sync.
Is this your experience?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 3, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Just got an email from Best Buy saying my Switch has been delayed until next week after telling me it was going to come tomorrow.:smith:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

SlayVus posted:

I work for Walmart all Walmart processes are f***** up nobody knows what's going on I've heard Tales of people being told they can't buy it until the 8th

There was one guy in our line who had a preorder, and somehow the store managed to gently caress up his payment and applied it to the wrong item. They called the CSM who said he can't get a refund for the hosed up payment til 7am tomorrow morning so he ended up just buying his Switch twice.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Got my switch and my Zelda Special Edition and bought snipperclips.

It's good.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm in California and walking distance from a Fry's. Just walked over at 6PM and they were having people seated at the little cafe inside the store where they would call you up and you would tell them what you wanted and they print you a voucher to come back at midnight and pick up your system. I got the black system, Zelda, and 123 Switch. I'm gonna drive back cause I don't want to get mugged walking home with it.

Goon speed everyone. Merry Switchmas.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
id get snipperclips if i actually had friends

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

45 minutes until Switchmas

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This is probably the dumbest most ridiculous post in the history of console gaming.

I have a PS4. I've looked on in recent months as the Switch info released with, ummm, FAR less disinterest than I have had for past a Nintendo consoles. But I hadn't given it much thought.

Now, the night before it launches, I find myself wanting to get one, to put in the tv room so my kid can enjoy it and me too.
(My PS4 is in my home office.)

Any good bets on getting one tomorrow? It looks like Target might be "just come in" or whatever. But not sure if that means like 12:01 tonight or what...

Will BestBuy have them tomorrow for sale?

I know the most likely answer is snoozers are losers. :)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Calling it quits after a little under two hours for the evening.

After an hour of playing, battery had reached enough charge I was comfortable trying TV mode.

The controller grip worked fine for what it was, though I really would prefer the feel of a Pro controller.
The Joycon straps are going to snap off the plastic tabs used to hold the Joycons in place. They have their own locking mechanism but it felt like I had to force them off the joycon even after unlocking them.

The Joycon desync issue is real and not fixed (I was in handheld mode for the whole first hour while updating.) I sat about 10 feet from my TV with the switch sitting prominently to the side of my TV with no obstruction. The controller grip worked fine, but when I switched to the individual Joycons and took a leg over leg sitting position with the left Joycon resting on my raised leg, it started having the issues seen in other videos. Trying it again just now, I'm finding a sweet spot right where I like to lay my hands that causes it. Not a game breaker but something to be aware of.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Whoever decided that charging and kickstand were mutually exclusive should be loving shot :argh:

Why the gently caress do companies keep doing this

The ministry of crap design is everywhere.

The Switch XL will move the charging port to a more convenient location. The cartridge slot will also be re-designed to allow for the quick feather-touch removal of game-cartridges and relocated to that place where you fingers always rest.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ChocNitty posted:

The only question that needs to be answered is... Is Zelda worth spending $388 to play?
Do you own a Wii U? If not, without doubt.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

ChocNitty posted:

The only question that needs to be answered is... Is Zelda worth spending $388 to play?

No. That's not the only question, idiot.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
yeah its actually 430 to play, idiot

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
So my 10 year old Niece had a pupil free day today, and we played through all of 1-2-Switch this morning!

Here's a breakdown of each game, and how well we enjoyed it.

1 Spice Factor Games
- Telephone - Fun good little fake-out game. Put the joycon on the table, then wait for the specific ring tone and answer as fast as you can. Niece kicked my rear end at this.
- Ball Counting - Absolutely amazing showcase of HD rumble. You can really 'feel' the balls inside the box. Pretty difficult as well to get right!
- Zen - Game randomly chooses a pose. Hold that pose as still as possible, the more you move the quicker you lose. Pretty good, but not very exciting.
- Treasure Chest - Remember Zen Bound for the iPhone? It's that but with a chest in the shape of the joycon. Rotate to untangle your chest from chains as quick as possible to win. Really fun use of the joycon. Loved it.
- Milk - Yes it's the wanking game. It's very difficult to get the motion constant to squeeze out a lot of milk, def a bit of skill involved. It'll get plenty of laughs at a party with an older crowd that's for sure.

2 Spice Factor Games
- Safe Cracker - Really fun game. Rotate the joycons like a safe dial until you feel a 'click' in the tumbler, then hold it in that position until it 'locks' in. Do that 3 times to open the safe. My Niece said she couldn't feel the micro-rumbles with her joycon, but we swapped around a couple of times. She's just bad at it :v:
- Quick Draw - Read Set Fire. What else do you need to know? Quickest draw wins and we got very competitive with it. Loved it!
- Samurai Training - One player swings a sword down. The other tries to 'catch' it by clapping their hands together. REALLY good game from the whole "Look at your opponents eyes" angle. Highly encouraged to try and fake out the clapper. Hell of a lot of fun.
- Sneaky Dice - Shake your cup and flip it down on the table. You'll feel, via rumble, how many dice your opponent has rolled and vice versa. Highest roll wins and you can reshake your dice to get a different number. It's a psychological battle where you try and get your opponent to reroll if they've rolled high. Can def see the potential there, but my Niece is 10 and has absolutely 0 poker face so I won every time :v:
- Signal Flags - You're posing like a sailor with a signal flag. Up, down, left, right. Point the flag in the direction the female sailor tells you. Point in the OPPOSITE direction to what the male sailor tells you. Have to be paying attention! Could be a lot of fun when half-pissed.
- Soda Pop - Wanking Game 2 Wank Harder. Using a single joycon you 'Shake up' a bottle and try and have it pop on your opponents turn. Yeaaaaah this'll get some laughs at a party.

3 Spice Factor Games
- Shaver - Hold the joycon to your chin, then try and shave off your virtual beard as quick as possible. Really good use of the joycon rumble and you can feel where you haven't been before. My Niece reckons she could kick my arse, but I've been shaving for over a decade and a half darlin :v:
- Joycon Rotation - Pick up your joycon and rotate it around as far as you can and drop it back down. You get 3 turns to rotate as far as you can. If you go 'off-centre' or your joycon leans to a side you lose a turn. It's all about keeping the joycon completely vertical and still. Do you go for a big rotation, or do you go for just enough. Pretty good, but I can see it get boring quickly.
- Table Tennis - Virtually hit the ball back and forth. You can lob it up in the air with a different button. Fun, but my Niece was having a hard time imagining the table we were playing on.
- Baby - Just terrible. Couldn't get it to work at all. You put both joycons in the Switch and have it in your arms and try to 'rock' the baby to sleep. Neither of us could seem to get the correct motion to stop the baby screaming, and what even is the point of the loving game? You put the baby to sleep and then try to put the controller down as softly as possible on a flat surface. They can't all be winners.
- Fake Draw - It's Quick Draw, but the announcer will say different F words before he says "FIRE!". Really nice variant when you want to mix things up a bit.
- Baseball - Baby may be terrible, but Baseball is probably the worst game in the pack. Could not get it at all. One person pitches, the other person tries to bat. Pitcher can do a fastball or a change-up. Batter is meant to listen for the ball coming and swing to hit it. Could not get it happening at all, even when we took turns saying when we'd be throwing it so we could try to hit it. It's Wii Sports without a visual queue. Who the gently caress thought this would be a good idea? :psyduck:

4 Spice Factor Games
Eating Contest - Take the right joycon (with the IR sensor) and hold it up to your mouth. Make a chewing motion with your mouth and eat as many sandwiches as possible. Can see the potential for competitiveness here, but boy oh boy does your jaw hurt after a bit.
- Beach Flags - 'run' in place as quick as you can until you feel you've reached the flag, and then raise it high in the air. Pretty fun little game, but it'll take a lot of energy to beat your opponent.
- Wizard Battle - Hard to explain. It's basically a Harry Potter wand battle. If you thrust your wand forward the energy moves towards your opponent more. So you're constantly pushing it back and forth. If you thrust just after your opponent, you counter them and it pushes back greatly onto them. You need to be able to see the Switch/TV to see how you're doing. Pretty fun, but it broke down into who could shake their arm more. Pretty tiring when it goes to a draw!
- Sword Fight - You're swinging your swords around and trying to hit your opponent, you can push a button and guard. If you're not guarding in the right direction you'll get hit. Sounds great in theory, but it's pretty bad in action.
- Boxing - Wii Boxing without a visual aid, and only one control in a hand. You tell me how terrible you think that concept is.
- Spinning Plates Holy gently caress this game with the right crowd would be incredible. You make a spinning motion with the joycon to keep your plate spinning and you have to keep your joycon vertial as well. The game actively encourages you to gently caress with your opponent and knock their plate off. This will be an amazing standout game with your mates.

5 Spice Factor Games
- Copy Battle - Listen to the sound queue, and then strike a pose. Your opponent then has to mirror that. Game will tell you how close you came to matching your opponent. Pretty fun.
- Fashion Show - VOGUE! STRIKE A POSE! You're walking down a runway and have to swing your hips back and forth like a fashion model. Then after 2 turns on the runway you meet in the middle and strike a few poses. Really really fun to get into and get those hips swinging.
- Air Guitar Battle - Strum along like an air guitar! Think you need to be in the right mood for this one, and it just comes off feeling silly having an arbitrary score attached to how well you've done. Dunno could be fun, but could have been just us.
- Dance Off - Legit only game we didn't play as we were getting tired at this point. You dance and then when the music stops you freeze.
- Gorilla - Beat your chest like a gorilla to the rhythm the lady gorilla in the bushes sings out. Have a better rhythm then your opponent and she'll blow you a kiss. Do this a couple of times and then you'll have a 'beat off' :v: where you can pound your chest as much as possible for extra points at the end to determine a winner. Fun, but very physical. Also the game will literally stop and warn you NOT to physically hit your chest, but just do it in the air in front of you. Lawsuit The Game.

Favourite Games
Spinning Plates
Fashion Show
Ball Counting
Quick Draw/Fake Draw
Samurai Training

Worst Games
Baseball
Baby
Boxing
Sword Fight
Air Guitar Battle

All in all I think this is a pretty solid collection of games. Obviously a great party game, but the price factor is what will keep people from purchasing it. 100% should have been a pack-in game. Had I not been able to get this extremely cheaply at launch, I honestly wouldn't have bought it. They're great games, but not at the price point they're asking for.
If you're going to a party though and can spare the cash, go for it. You'll have a blast!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lol

Like 60 people waiting out front of this bestbuy at 11:30.

Well make that 61 now that my dumbass is here.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Good luck

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
I was very amused to learn that the Zelda special edition box is bigger than the box the loving console came in.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
Well, I got my Switch early today but not the games that I ordered from Amazon. Played some Snipperclips and it's a fun little creative game. Looking forward to receiving my other games so that I can lick them.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Need help goons

Pro controller y/n
Zelda special edition y/n ?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

yes
no

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was going to just buy Zelda but having played BOTW with the Joycons, I want a real controller.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Despite Gamestop screwing my preorder over I managed to get one waiting in line at a Walmart midnight release.

MarcusSA posted:

Lol

Like 60 people waiting out front of this bestbuy at 11:30.

Well make that 61 now that my dumbass is here.
Family member said the lines around best buy here wrapped all the way around the store outside in freezing weather at 10pm.

Meanwhile at the Walmart it was a small line of a couple families and single guys all checking their phones in a small line inside the electronics section.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Ninja Bob posted:

Well, I got my Switch early today but not the games that I ordered from Amazon. Played some Snipperclips and it's a fun little creative game. Looking forward to receiving my other games so that I can lick them.

At least your games aren't arriving on time with the console being late :negative:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I called a half dozen Walmarts and the stores that did have some were only preorders, but Meijer of all places had 25 and still spots in line at 10 o'clock. Was able to walk in, stand and chat, and walk out. Only I had already ordered Zelda from Amazon, but at least I got one and it's all set up and ready.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tengames posted:

Despite Gamestop screwing my preorder over I managed to get one waiting in line at a Walmart midnight release.

Family member said the lines around best buy here wrapped all the way around the store outside in freezing weather at 10pm.

Meanwhile at the Walmart it was a small line of a couple families and single guys all checking their phones in a small line inside the electronics section.

Yeah it's 11:45 now and the line is at least 100 deep.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

walmart still says that my unshipped preorder is "arriving march 3", i guess they technically didn't specify which march 3

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Hot drat. The Switch and Zelda are sitting in a truck right now and should be here in less than 12 hours.

Time to go to bed.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

watch that truck head to the himalayas

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Walmart hasn't even charged my card for the online preorder.

It's what caused me to say gently caress it and wait in line.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Eh, I'll probably get a Switch eventually but I'm going to wait for two things: a hardware revision and a price drop.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

a.lo posted:

watch that truck head to the himalayas

Nooooooo. My expectation is to have my morning coffee, a light breakfast, jack it about a dozen times, nap, yell at my neighbors and be playing Zelda before I'm too drunk.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin

Novasol posted:

At least your games aren't arriving on time with the console being late :negative:

Yeah, that would be worse.

But your games... have you licked them?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I dreamed that I was in a newsagents and they had Switches to buy at the counter. I didn't get one because they'd offer terrible customer service if anything went wrong with it.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

ChocNitty posted:

I keep going back and fourth on this and I always end up at no

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It
Is
Tiiiiime!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Have fun US goons

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Have fun US goons

So

Game of the generation ?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I'm inside Best Buy about to buy my Switch and Zelda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

Nooooooo. My expectation is to have my morning coffee, a light breakfast, jack it about a dozen times, nap, yell at my neighbors and be playing Zelda before I'm too drunk.

sooo what you're saying is you'll play it saturday?

• Locked thread